Help IDing Nuggets found Metal Detecting River Bed
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: Help IDing Nuggets found Metal Detecting River Bed

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Feb 2017
    Durango, CO
    Garrett AT Gold
    Prospecting

Help ID'ing Nuggets found Metal Detecting River Bed

Hello everybody less than a week old to metal detecting so bear with me. So I was out on my second ever metal detecting trip with my new Garrett AT Gold and found two nuggets 5 feet apart 4-6 inches down in the gravel bed of my favorite river. Both nuggets were found in an area where Silver and Palladium were mined as well as small quantities of Platinum. There is actually an old Palladium mine aprox. a quarter mile up the hill from the river bed. I did a hydrogen peroxide test and they did react and had bubbles rising off them. The large nugget is 3.3 grams and the small is .76 grams. They feel light for their size but given these are my first nuggets of any kind it could be just my perception. They are bright but dull at the same time if that makes sense. Also they register 60-68 on my AT Gold. The photos I've attached are of both sides of each and the first photo of both was prior to hydrogen peroxide test which seemed to clean and remove some of the patina. I am hoping someone can help me identify until I can find an official testing kit. Please let me know if you have any more questions I can answer and thanks everyone for your help!Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170308_191817.jpg 
Views:	256 
Size:	4.39 MB 
ID:	1424535Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170309_111447.jpg 
Views:	249 
Size:	2.44 MB 
ID:	1424536Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170309_111458.jpg 
Views:	229 
Size:	4.28 MB 
ID:	1424537Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170309_111516.jpg 
Views:	252 
Size:	4.39 MB 
ID:	1424538Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170309_111528.jpg 
Views:	192 
Size:	4.91 MB 
ID:	1424539Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170309_111544.jpg 
Views:	216 
Size:	4.30 MB 
ID:	1424540

us
    May 2014
    AZ
    Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
    3363 times
    Prospecting
    Melted aluminum from an old campfire? Not sure but I think H2O2 will react with alum. and off gas hydrogen and/or oxygen so the bubbles.
    Clay Diggins likes this.
    If it can't be grown, it must be mined!

us
    Feb 2017
    Durango, CO
    Garrett AT Gold
    Prospecting
    Quote Originally Posted by arizau View Post
    Melted aluminum from an old campfire? Not sure but I think H2O2 will react with alum. and off gas hydrogen and/or oxygen so the bubbles.
    My understanding is that was whole point of H2O2 test is that it won't react with Aluminum, but will with both Silver and Platinum. But I could have been mislead on that at some point...

Dec 2014
    36 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Aluminum would probably come up higher on your detector. I think it could be lead, scratch it with a knife and see if the scratch mark is shiny

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Goldwasher likes this.

us
    Mar 2003
    Redding,Calif.
    6713 times
    The 2 on wood seem real. Just go to the local Pawn shop and they test free to try and steal your gold for about half spot. Sorry too low and away you go question answered. Other wise back of unglazed piece of ceramic tile, scratch for a inch of so and a drop of nitric will answer your question . Pawn shop easier and no danger to you-John

us
    May 2009
    Sailor Flat, Ca.
    SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
    13047 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    looks like lead.
    The platinum nuggets you may find near a palladium mine would look different. and are super rare at that size. They would also be near twice as dense.

Platinum: The mineral native Platinum information and pictures

Platinum Nugget Crystals

the easiest way besides a streak test would be to hit it with a torch if you have one.

Don't do it inside what you have is most likely lead. It will melt pretty quickly if it is. You can also build a fire wait til the coals are hot and put it in something that won't melt and melt it in that and make a bullet if you want

Sort of a full circle sort of thing.

Don't be mis- LEAD.....by pebbles and sand caught up in the metal that happens when hot lead meets sand and gravel.

I hope I'm wrong
    Last edited by Goldwasher; Mar 14, 2017 at 12:05 AM.
    Clay Diggins likes this.

us
    Feb 2017
    Durango, CO
    Garrett AT Gold
    Prospecting
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoser John View Post
    The 2 on wood seem real. Just go to the local Pawn shop and they test free to try and steal your gold for about half spot. Sorry too low and away you go question answered. Other wise back of unglazed piece of ceramic tile, scratch for a inch of so and a drop of nitric will answer your question . Pawn shop easier and no danger to you-John
    The two on wood are the same ones as the rest. It was right after i found them and before they got cleaned up by my H2O2 test that is the reason they look different.
    Last edited by hittinofr; Mar 10, 2017 at 02:01 PM.

us
    Feb 2017
    Durango, CO
    Garrett AT Gold
    Prospecting
    Quote Originally Posted by Rean.c View Post
    Aluminum would probably come up higher on your detector. I think it could be lead, scratch it with a knife and see if the scratch mark is shiny

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    So scratched it with knife. First off it was REALLY hard to scratch, not a soft metal at all. The scratch mark was a bright silver though so might be lead.

Dec 2014
    36 times
    Weird, lead is easily scratched. God only knows what you could have, there's a lot of silver looking metals. Just be careful because some are not very good for your health

Sent from my A466T using Tapatalk

Apr 2003
    Alberta
    Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
    5776 times
    Prospecting
    That's strange about your scratch, that it's silver, that doesn't happen with gold, and super hard? That's not how gold responds either. The other thing, for me at least, gold always feels heavy, and for your small nugget (of whatever material it is) to read as high as the large one, that's strange as well.

I'd take Hoser's advice and get a truly reliable answer, but it seems like you've eliminated some of the sure gold tests already. That doesn't mean the metal, if it's not gold, isn't valuable.

All the best,

Lanny
    Hoser John likes this.
    Nothin' quite as fun as chasin' sassy nugget gold! http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/me...mysteries.html

us
    Oct 2016
    SoCal
    X-Terra 705 Gold
    345 times
    Nice photos! Looks interesting. Let us know when you find out what it is.

us
    Aug 2014
    California goldfields
    Makro Gold Racer, Nokta Fors gold plus, Makro racer2, Nokta fors gold, minelab gpx5000, fisher gold bug pro and many many others
    757 times
    Prospecting
    Go with hosers idea, they have testers at a jewelery store too I think. I have found gold that is more silvery, because of silver impurities, and I have gold that is more coppery colored from copper impurities. I think also you should take a after peroxide cleaning picture on the same piece of wood to see the difference. I think the other pics have more ambient light in them and makes them look more silvery white. good luck
    Goldwasher likes this.

us
    Jan 2016
    California
    Whites MXT-300, Tesoro Sand Shark 10.5", Bazooka Sniper, Bazooka Prospector
    795 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    I'm tossing my hat in as campfire nuggets from melted cans. Looks just like the ones I find at the beaches that have fire pits/allow bonfires.

us
    May 2009
    Sailor Flat, Ca.
    SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
    13047 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    Quote Originally Posted by Goldfleks View Post
    I'm tossing my hat in as campfire nuggets from melted cans. Looks just like the ones I find at the beaches that have fire pits/allow bonfires.
    looking at the size vs. weight i'm changing my guess to campfire nugs as well

Tuolumne
    xrf and you will know

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links