Noobie with ?

Fishbonze

Tenderfoot
Mar 8, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi there, Long time lurker, first time posting. I am traveling out West this Summer from Michigan and would like some advice. We will be traveling thru the Black Hills area and then down to Colorado to the Creed area in SW Colorado. I currently have a Tesoro Eldorado, and would like to pick up a machine that is better for gold. I dont want to spend a ton of money and have been looking at the Fisher Gold Bug (current model) that is currently $384..is there anything else that I should be looking at? TIA, Steve

Upvote 0

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Welcome to the forum! :occasion14:

Tesoro Lobo Super Traq
Garrett AT Gold
Teknetics G2
Whites GMT
Fisher Goldbug Pro; Goldbug II
Minelab Eureka; 705 Goldpak

OP
OP
F

Fishbonze

Tenderfoot
Mar 8, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to the forum! :occasion14:

Tesoro Lobo Super Traq
Garrett AT Gold
Teknetics G2
Whites GMT
Fisher Goldbug Pro; Goldbug II
Minelab Eureka; 705 Goldpak

Thank you Terry! i have looked at a few of these, but unfortunately they are a bit more than I wanted to spend, I just thought with the GB down to that price it might be the best option under $400..I might have to revisit my piggy bank lol

OP
OP
F

Fishbonze

Tenderfoot
Mar 8, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you again for the list terry, I'm now thinking maybe I will let my Eldorado go and pick up a machine they will do everything I want to do with it..coins, relics, gold,,if that exists?

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thank you again for the list terry, I'm now thinking maybe I will let my Eldorado go and pick up a machine they will do everything I want to do with it..coins, relics, gold,,if that exists?

If you sell the Eldorado, you should be able to get at least $400.00 for it. You will come to realize that no detector REALLY does it all. They are like golf clubs - you need a few specialized clubs to score a better game. Gold nugget machines are specialized high frequency ALL METAL machines. Saltwater machines are Multi-frequency or Pulse Induction to deal with the conductivity of the salt and mineral content of the water. Coin and jewelry machines tend to be lower frequency for added depth on coin-sized targets. "All-around" machines specialize in nothing. :skullflag:

OP
OP
F

Fishbonze

Tenderfoot
Mar 8, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you sell the Eldorado, you should be able to get at least $400.00 for it. You will come to realize that no detector REALLY does it all. They are like golf clubs - you need a few specialized clubs to score a better game. Gold nugget machines are specialized high frequency ALL METAL machines. Saltwater machines are Multi-frequency or Pulse Induction to deal with the conductivity of the salt and mineral content of the water. Coin and jewelry machines tend to be lower frequency for added depth on coin-sized targets. "All-around" machines specialize in nothing. :skullflag:

Thanks Terry, great information! I will do some more research and make a decision, glad to see the Eldorado is still well thought of :)

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hi there, Long time lurker, first time posting. I am traveling out West this Summer from Michigan and would like some advice. We will be traveling thru the Black Hills area and then down to Colorado to the Creed area in SW Colorado. I currently have a Tesoro Eldorado, and would like to pick up a machine that is better for gold. I dont want to spend a ton of money and have been looking at the Fisher Gold Bug (current model) that is currently $384..is there anything else that I should be looking at? TIA, Steve

I think if you can live without the small extras on the Gold Bug Pro, the new Gold Bug should do you all right, and it shouldn't cost you as much as the Bug Pro. Dennis recommends it. It will find the gold, but it won't be a multi-purpose detector like the Bug Pro.

All the best,

Lanny

P.S. If you don't want to pay full price, search the classified ads online for a good used gold detector. You can often get a good deal as many first-time gold hunters that want to be nugget shooters buy a nice machine, try a few times, get discouraged, then dump them for pennies on the dollar.

Last edited:
OP
OP
F

Fishbonze

Tenderfoot
Mar 8, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm rethinking things now, and I'm leaning towards the Minelab 705 dual Pack, I think it may give me the best chance of having a good coin shooter and be able to look for nuggets.

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm rethinking things now, and I'm leaning towards the Minelab 705 dual Pack, I think it may give me the best chance of having a good coin shooter and be able to look for nuggets.

Not bad for $546 with free headphones. Compatible with 6 optional coils. get a slightly used minelab 5x10 (18.75 khz) DD for $99 on e-bay http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/252796972696?lpid=82&chn=ps&ul_noapp=true

https://www.amazon.com/Minelab-X-Te...F8&qid=1489607686&sr=8-1&keywords=minelab+705

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread