Metal Detecting for gold - Salton Sea area

scott565

Apr 20, 2009
Hi Fellow Tnetters!

I am heading out to California later this fall, and would like to do some nugget shooting if possible.
There are some folks we know that take 4-wheelers out towards the Chocolate mountains - is detecting allowed there?
Any chance of finding anything there with a detector?
I have heard about some Wildnerness Act but not sure what are is covered and what restrictions are imposed.

Thanks all!
-Scott

Upvote 0

AllenJ

Mar 7, 2018
Northern CA
Detector(s) used
White's TDI SL, Minelab GPX5000 & GM1000, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hello Scott,

My rule of thumb here is if it's not Forest Service or BLM I don't even look at it. California has gone to great lengths to make sure nobody disturbs "their" land. The GPAA has claims down in that area, you might think about looking into joining their organization.

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've no idea about restrictions in the area however, what detector would you be using? Mineralization out in the hills usually requires something special to work out there..................63bkpkr

Seden

Jan 28, 2008
Read this article before going to the Chocolate Mountains please. https://militarybases.com/california/chocolate-mountain/
Bombs away Chatteroy! Did somebody say INCOMING!

OP
OP
S

scott565

Apr 20, 2009
Seden, thanks much for the excellent info.
I did not know the whole range was taken for practice; guess that plan bombed out.

63bkpkr, I have a garrett infinium that I used out in the Dale area, so I thought of trying that.
I also thought of taking a Equinox 800 with the 6 inch coil, to see if it could do anything.
Being a VLF, I suppose it has mineralization difficulties similar to any other, but thought it might be fun to try anyhow.
Any thoughts on places to try near Palm Desert? It looks to me like almost the whole Dale district is claimed now.

Thanks all,
-Scott

dsrtdwg1

Sep 3, 2015
Brawley
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Gold Monster 1000, Keene 212v Puffer Dry Washer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Stay off the bombing range. The operating gold mine is a no brainer... stay outside of the fence. My LandMatters maps are the best info. Cargos to the SE have lots of claims but there are still open areas. 78 east to the river is wide open with only a few claims but NO motorized vehicle traffic off of the marked BLM routes. Long winded answer to your simple question....yes you can.

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well that is a nice selection of machines, either requires the user to know them well before going out into the mineralized stuff. VLF's, like my GMT, have their difficulties with various things but I know my GMT finds gold 'out there'. Practice! Then GO! Then practice more once you are out there. I take a sample 'chip' out with me so I have a fixed target to relate to when i put it down on ANY ground.............63bkpkr

DSCN1654.JPG That is a small piece of gold with a gob of any really good rubber type cement to hold it in place on the poker chip.

OP
OP
S

scott565

Apr 20, 2009
dsrtdwg1, thanks for the excellent info. and not to worry, now that I understand about that area, I am not going anywhere near the bombing range and have no intention of trespassing, claim-jumping, or any other goofy stuff.
Coming from Ohio - all I want to do is get out and prospect where prospecting is legal. I am trying to hook up with some folks out that way so I can get on some ground and at least give it a good try.
The times I have been out before have been so much fun, and the desert/mountains are beautiful.

63bkpkr, thanks for the tip; I also have a couple of little nuggets glued to chips. In fact, I just got the 6-inch coil for the Equinox today and tried it in the house. It saw the little nuggets (about 01.g) from a few inches even with all the interference in the house, so I am hopeful.

Thanks to everyone for your advice and comments, bring 'em on, all are appreciated. And in case anyone wants to spend a day somewhere reasonably close to Palm Desert, send me a PM. I will be renting a 2-door wrangler, with all the insurance :), so I can drive if that works.

Take Care All,
-Scott

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread