Carrying firearm while nugget shooting In Arizona?

Callred1975

Apr 21, 2017
Charlestown, Indiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPZ 7000, Minelab CTX 3030, Minelab Gold Monster 1000, Garrett Propointer AT, and Gold Duster drywasher
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Iā€™m moving to Arizona and had planned on carrying my revolver while nugget shooting. Iā€™ve seen others do this on YouTube, but Iā€™m curious if the firearms ever affect the detectors? Would it be smarter to just keep it nearby to avoid interference with the detector? For those that do carry while detecting, do you find carrying on the hip or in a shoulder rig more comfortable?

Lastly, Iā€™ll be carrying a Smith & Wesson 686 Performance Center 357 mag and I need a durable, comfortable, holster that will protect the weapon from getting banged up. Any suggestions would be helpful. Thanks.

Upvote 0

beekbuster

Jan 17, 2015
Detector(s) used
gpx 4500
gpz (died in a fire. rip)
Primary Interest:
Other
Sorry if my questions came off being sarcastic, not my intention. Guess I'm used to my detector, it will null out a chunk of iron ore or even a gold nugget if allowed to do so.

Out of curiosity, does the GPX have much metal on it? I know there is no comparison but my Whites GMT has a lot of metal on it.

the box and lower rod are plastic. i think the main rod is carbon? maybe metal. i havnt payed that close attention. the coil signal response protrudes down and up from the flat side of the coil. not so much from the sides. so if you have the flat side pointed toward yourself and you have a pistol or pinpointer or magnet. etc. then it will sound off on it. every piece of mass your coil reacts with affects your unit. this applies to every detector. when you rake the loose stuff off the top, not even breaking the dirt, it can make a maybe signal a clear signal. same goes for the things you are carrying. one of my tricks on an iffy signal is to #1 knock the ground flat without disturbing the soil. a light scrape. then put the detector out in front of me, a long reach and go slow and and flat on the ground. make sure you dont tilt the coil or bump it. a slow continuous sweep. if it was a maybe signal it will either be the same which 99% of the time is ground noise or the signal improves dramatically. no matter what detector you have doing this will put more gold in the poke.

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
the box and lower rod are plastic. i think the main rod is carbon? maybe metal. i havnt payed that close attention. the coil signal response protrudes down and up from the flat side of the coil. not so much from the sides. so if you have the flat side pointed toward yourself and you have a pistol or pinpointer or magnet. etc. then it will sound off on it. every piece of mass your coil reacts with affects your unit. this applies to every detector. when you rake the loose stuff off the top, not even breaking the dirt, it can make a maybe signal a clear signal. same goes for the things you are carrying. one of my tricks on an iffy signal is to #1 knock the ground flat without disturbing the soil. a light scrape. then put the detector out in front of me, a long reach and go slow and and flat on the ground. make sure you dont tilt the coil or bump it. a slow continuous sweep. if it was a maybe signal it will either be the same which 99% of the time is ground noise or the signal improves dramatically. no matter what detector you have doing this will put more gold in the poke.

Makes perfect sense, that explains why the coil doesn't pick up on the metal box, batterys, etc. at the top end of my VLF detector, and why as long as the coil faces ground and sky and not me it doesn't pick up my pistol around my waist, change, or keys in my pockets. :icon_thumleft:

I'm assuming that according to your experience with your GPX and metal on your body that it's not the same with a pulse induction unit?

Thanks for the info,
GG~

Last edited:

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
šŸ„‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
With a gpx, I have to make sure its not falsing from the metal in my shoes, I have my certain pair of shoes I use to avoid the falsing. I cant imagine what the gpz guys have to do. speaking of, i slipped out of work early today and went to try and squeeze one more piece from one of my spots ive hammered to death... and some unkown person, that most likely had a gpz, and is very proficient with it, flogged my spot!!!! a perfect line of digs right up to the vein...... damn it!!!!!! I know they didnt get anything close to what i got out of it, but it still irks me to see a perfect line of holes where i have hammered, scraped and scoured.

My one partner has a GPZ . Carries a 1911 in a shoulder holster. Pinpointer in his pocket. based on the gold I see am get I don't think its affecting depth or sensitivity.

I have used it with a 1911 on my hip pinpointer in my pocket. The Gpz will pick up the pinpointer when it is on within about 18 inches.

Cargo pocket of left leg full of can slaw and square nails... or my dump pouch on my belt with the same.. Back up mag in back left pocket. cell phone in back right.

In my back pack i have extra batteries.. metal tools metal thermos of soup sometimes.

no issues.

I think the gpz is programmed to better handle it maybe?

I always carry. never have any issues with the SDC. Just the occasional emi when i get closer to houses or power lines.

beekbuster

Jan 17, 2015
Detector(s) used
gpx 4500
Primary Interest:
Other
My one partner has a GPZ . Carries a 1911 in a shoulder holster. Pinpointer in his pocket. based on the gold I see am get I don't think its affecting depth or sensitivity.

I have used it with a 1911 on my hip pinpointer in my pocket. The Gpz will pick up the pinpointer when it is on within about 18 inches.

Cargo pocket of left leg full of can slaw and square nails... or my dump pouch on my belt with the same.. Back up mag in back left pocket. cell phone in back right.

In my back pack i have extra batteries.. metal tools metal thermos of soup sometimes.

no issues.

I think the gpz is programmed to better handle it maybe?

I always carry. never have any issues with the SDC. Just the occasional emi when i get closer to houses or power lines.

the gpx can hear the pinpointer at 2 feet away in general mode. enhance its not as bad. but it is a big hassle having it on me because the falsing is too frequent. I do want a gpz, but i cant justify the price. I need a tractor more than a md. it is not a good feeling seeing a slew of holes in an area i have hammered. I know whoever it was got a half dozen gram pieces.

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
šŸ„‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
the gpx can hear the pinpointer at 2 feet away in general mode. enhance its not as bad. but it is a big hassle having it on me because the falsing is too frequent. I do want a gpz, but i cant justify the price. I need a tractor more than a md. it is not a good feeling seeing a slew of holes in an area i have hammered. I know whoever it was got a half dozen gram pieces.

even with the pinpointer off?

I've seen a half gram piece plucked out of a foot of red gravel hot ground... just screaming to be plucked out. I missed it with the sdc..

it gets little sdc type pieces too.. but, yes I'm a long way off from trying to get one.

oneguy

Aug 26, 2015
Montana
Detector(s) used
2 Goldmonsters, SDC 2300
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
From my experience I have noticed a detector that has a shorter range, such as a vlf or my sdc, the pistol on my hip does not affect the ability of the detector. but my gpx detector is very much affected by it. with my 19" coil I have to take all metal off of me or it is unusable. the 14" I can keep my side arm on me if I am conscious of it while swinging, but i know the depth is still affected.

Beekbuster and Goldwasherā€¦.

I usually don't pack but sometimes I do with my Ruger .41 Blackhawk. With my Goldmonster having such great battery life I run the speaker only and no headphones. The speaker is loud and I figure any bear or lion will see and hear me, curiosity satisfied, and leave before I even realize they are there so I usually don't pack anymore. Only had 2 bad bear encounters and both were when I silently came up on them, one was sow with a cub deal.

My question to you guys is about the SDC that I'm thinking of buying and if I do try one I was wondering if the metal eyelets on my boots will interfere with the SDC provided the coil is normal distance away from my boots???? Also curious if SDC battery life is worth a sheet if I decide to run speaker only and no headphones should I chose to? Also curious how long it takes to charge up batts after maybe 3-4hr hunt (probably all I can pack a boat anchor around?)ā€¦as I won't be around any electricity? I also pack am Apex around in left hand and I don't remember it messing with my GPX...the short time I had one???

thanx

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
šŸ„‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I usually don't pack but sometimes I do with my Ruger .41 Blackhawk. With my Goldmonster having such great battery life I run the speaker only and no headphones. The speaker is loud and I figure any bear or lion will see and hear me, curiosity satisfied, and leave before I even realize they are there so I usually don't pack anymore. Only had 2 bad bear encounters and both were when I silently came up on them, one was sow with a cub deal.

My question to you guys is about the SDC that I'm thinking of buying and if I do try one I was wondering if the metal eyelets on my boots will interfere with the SDC provided the coil is normal distance away from my boots???? Also curious if SDC battery life is worth a sheet if I decide to run speaker only and no headphones should I chose to? Also curious how long it takes to charge up batts after maybe 3-4hr hunt (probably all I can pack a boat anchor around?)ā€¦as I won't be around any electricity? I also pack am Apex around in left hand and I don't remember it messing with my GPX...the short time I had one???

thanx

I have one pair of boots with some metal the only time they are picked up is when I use my foot to do a coil adjustment.

The batteries last a really long time if you have two sets you will be fine.

I use the pro-sonic transmitter. so you can have a speaker on your pack strap you can also use headphones with that and not be attached to the machine.

The internal speaker doesn't seem to drain the battery any quicker. I personal don't like the side of the detector it is on but. it is usable. Not so much near running water though.

beekbuster

Jan 17, 2015
Detector(s) used
gpx 4500
Primary Interest:
Other

thanx

i have never run my batteries out if i had them charged before i went out. you can expect 7 hours on a fresh set of batteries. sdc will not interfere with your boots. the range is short. it is like a vlf on steroids. the biggest advantage it has over a vlf is its ability to overcome hot ground. since it is always balanced to the ground. even under the worst conditions you can hear a good signal from ground noise. it groans on hot ground. when you slow down the sweep speed it allows the machine to balance even the hottest ground. a mono coil has major advantages over a dd coil as well. The sdc is the bedrock king, but after about 4-6" of soil the gpx out performs it in a big way. I have a spot that i have pulled over 100 pieces of gold from, mostly with the sdc. but the gpx found a .3 gram at over 7". I was in awe. it did that 2 times in the same day. The settings i used have done the same thing in other locations. i do like hunting bedrock and shallow ground, so i end up using the sdc more than the gpx. i dont get a lot of time to prospect, so when i do get the time i like to have the best chance at digging some color. sdc fits that bill. a pinpointer sets off a signal that is unlike anything else i can think of, besides a metal grate or a metal water bottle. the sdc reacts to expanded metal with intensity. 41 blackhawk is a good choice. I have a gp100, so another mag wheel gun is redundant...... spoken from a man with 3 semi 9x19's

Last edited:

oneguy

Aug 26, 2015
Montana
Detector(s) used
2 Goldmonsters, SDC 2300
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
it is like a vlf on steroids.

That's kinda what I figured. I like the waterproof, the way it will fold up, the smaller coil, ability in hot ground, and doesn't have all the damn cords and crap the GPX has. I have a couple spots I can probably use one to my advantage if I end up with one? Just made an offer on one but was turned down....we'll see if he re-considers.

Thanx guys...the info helped me a bunch!!!!

akflyer

Jun 29, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I do a lot of outdoor activities and always carry. Shoulder holsters suck when rowing a raft, they will rub you raw in minutes. If you need to wear waders for playing in creeks etc then hip holsters suck. The best one I have found and use is like this one. I an wear it in the plane, wheelers, snowmachines, raft etc and its out of the way yet fast to get into action. Best part is it wont drag your pants down and you are not always shifting it around. Once you adjust the straps on it it stays put right where you want it.
https://www.cabelas.com/product/MAN...yWECb7_CgLTD7r2fzFBoCg6oQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

N-Lionberger

Bronze Member
Dec 1, 2013
Arcata, California
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1212-x
Fisher Gold Bug 2
Whites 4900/SP3
Dowsing rods
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
My pick is more likely to set off my detector than my Blackhawk in its cowboy rig. I'm mostly gunning for the no legged critters so I load up half shotshells half freedom pills. Rattlesnakes must fear me as I haven't seen one in a few years, they must know I'm out for their skin and taco meats.

Last edited:

Samanthy

Apr 22, 2018
Phoenix, Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whiteā€˜s Sierra Madre
Whiteā€˜s TMā€“600
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
A few jaguars have been spotted in the extreme south of the state.

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
A few jaguars have been spotted in the extreme south of the state.

Yep there were also camels sighted.

No wild camels or jaguars currently live in the United States.

The last Jaguar "sighted" lived in Mexico and wandered a few miles north across the border. I guess he didn't see the imaginary line. :laughing7:
That Jaguar was hunted and killed in Mexico.

In my experience the same people who feel they need protection against Jaguars are also afraid of prospecting near the southern border. The historical danger is equal from both wild Jaguars and people involved in illegal border crossings in Arizona.

Heavy Pans

beekbuster

Jan 17, 2015
Detector(s) used
gpx 4500
Primary Interest:
Other
being worried about jaguars in the usa is like being worried about wolverines in california. sad to say the last one died not too long ago.

oneguy

Aug 26, 2015
Montana
Detector(s) used
2 Goldmonsters, SDC 2300
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
wolverines in california. sad to say the last one died not too long ago.
You gotta trust me on this. Been a predator trapper and now cam trapper for most my life and delt with a few so called "experts", Fish & Game, wildlife biologists, Feds, etc. and I'll tell you that the bulk of them have no REAL clue whats out in the brush. I'll bet you have a couple gulo (wolverine) still doing what they do out in the mtnsā€¦. They are a very low density animal...basically few and far in between but they are survivors and you being at the very extreme southern end of their range you won't have but a few. They are there...just very hard to come across.....

Our local F&G recently tried to pump me for gulo info....I turned em down, they hoped maybe someday we could develop trust between us...told again...no! Long story but I tried to deal with them yrs ago about Mr. Gulo. They didn't even thank me for the info because they just want to find 1-2 gulo so they can gate more roads/areas, etc. My first attempt to give them gulo info was to let them know they are around and doing fine and no more land needed to be locked up...didn't fit their agenda.

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/montana/623104-wolverine-trapped-1938-montana.html

Last edited:

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
being worried about jaguars in the usa is like being worried about wolverines in california. sad to say the last one died not too long ago.

Not true - there are Wolverines in California. Who was it that said "the last one died"?

I was lucky enough to get a nice look at a Wolverine 4-5 years ago near the top of the state.
I'm 100% confident in the identification. The encounter is burned into my memory.
Most memorable were the long sharp claws and the stocky muscular frame. I mistook it for a small bear at first.
Luckily it hung around long enough to get a good look. I can tell you it looked all business.
It was not something I'd fearful of unless I encountered it in close quarters in some weird situation.

Couple years ago I might have seen another one, but it was just a glimpse through the trees and I'm not certain.

There are places animals can easily hide...just consider how hard it is to find a big old buck during hunting season.
They simply disappear and they are really common animals in the forest.

Last edited:

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I do a lot of outdoor activities and always carry. Shoulder holsters suck when rowing a raft, they will rub you raw in minutes. If you need to wear waders for playing in creeks etc then hip holsters suck. The best one I have found and use is like this one. I an wear it in the plane, wheelers, snowmachines, raft etc and its out of the way yet fast to get into action. Best part is it wont drag your pants down and you are not always shifting it around. Once you adjust the straps on it it stays put right where you want it.
https://www.cabelas.com/product/MAN...yWECb7_CgLTD7r2fzFBoCg6oQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Funny they couldn't even get a firearm that fit the holster for the product photo.
Exposed trigger. Not good if you took a tumble headfirst in some brush. Chances are slim of a double action going off like that, but crazy stuff happens everyday.

akflyer

Jun 29, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Funny they couldn't even get a firearm that fit the holster for the product photo.
Exposed trigger. Not good if you took a tumble headfirst in some brush. Chances are slim of a double action going off like that, but crazy stuff happens everyday.

Not gonna happen. FRom a guy that has carried this way for many years and in every bush situation possible, from tangled alders you can't hardly crawl through to supermaning off the snowmachine at 108 (according to the GPS) and countless 4 wheeler excursions that ended badly.

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not gonna happen. FRom a guy that has carried this way for many years and in every bush situation possible, from tangled alders you can't hardly crawl through to supermaning off the snowmachine at 108 (according to the GPS) and countless 4 wheeler excursions that ended badly.

Probably right, especially with a revolver.

Still I'd rather the trigger was covered rather than exposed to the elements.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions