Carrying firearm while nugget shooting In Arizona?

Callred1975

Apr 21, 2017
Charlestown, Indiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPZ 7000, Minelab CTX 3030, Minelab Gold Monster 1000, Garrett Propointer AT, and Gold Duster drywasher
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Iā€™m moving to Arizona and had planned on carrying my revolver while nugget shooting. Iā€™ve seen others do this on YouTube, but Iā€™m curious if the firearms ever affect the detectors? Would it be smarter to just keep it nearby to avoid interference with the detector? For those that do carry while detecting, do you find carrying on the hip or in a shoulder rig more comfortable?

Lastly, Iā€™ll be carrying a Smith & Wesson 686 Performance Center 357 mag and I need a durable, comfortable, holster that will protect the weapon from getting banged up. Any suggestions would be helpful. Thanks.

Upvote 0

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've come nearly face to face with bear and a mountain lion.
Low death statistics never crossed my mind.

Dying from rabies is statistically rare. However I read that between 30,000 and 60,000 people are treated each year for suspected rabies exposure. I'd just as soon keep my distance and put down an animal that is acting suspicious. Last fall, my son had an encounter with a suspicious rabid bobcat. It followed him around in broad daylight and was acting weird. He thought nothing of it. He drove off leaving my property and the cat ran at the truck and was run over and killed. It was odd. Luckily he had a truck with him. ;)

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Clay had me wondering about my revolver affecting my detector, so I measured from my coil at closest swing to the barrel and it was a little over 4 feet away so I guess I'm ok, at least until I purchase a detector that finds nuggets over 4 feet deep. :tongue3:

While I have never needed or used a weapon during 30 plus years of detecting, It does give me a sense of security that I have something to defend myself with besides my good looks. :angel3:

One time in Indiana I walked up upon a litter of Opossums and the mother let me know in no uncertain terms that I was not welcome!

Yesterday while hiking in the Hualapai mountains near Kingman Arizona I spotted a black bear but he was headed away.
Do you know how to spot bear feces ?............It has little bells in it and smells like pepper spray. :laughing7:

Javelinas do attack: An Oro Valley woman was knocked to the ground and bitten by a Javelina Tuesday night while walking her dog, officials said. This is the third Javelina-related injury in Tucson this year (2018) Other wild animal attacks Tuscon 2018 CLICK HERE Sure it's rare but it only takes one time to ruin your day.

Death aside, just being attacked and mauled by any wild animal would be a bummer.

GG~

Last edited:

RTR

Gold Member
Nov 21, 2017
Smith Mt. Lake Va.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Liberator
Falcon MD-20
Blue Bowl
Angus MacKirk sluice
Miller Table
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IF I'm breathing......I'm carrying

OP
OP
Callred1975

Callred1975

Apr 21, 2017
Charlestown, Indiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPZ 7000, Minelab CTX 3030, Minelab Gold Monster 1000, Garrett Propointer AT, and Gold Duster drywasher
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The main reason Iā€™ll be carrying a weapon is for animals of the 2 legged variety. Protection from the other critters running around is just a secondary benefit. Honestly though, the animals (4 legged and no legged varieties) of Arizona donā€™t really worry me. I was raised in a very rural area on a farm. Between the farm, hunting, fishing, and just exploring outdoors as a kid, Iā€™ve had enough experience with wild animals to know that 9999 times out of 10000, theyā€™re harmless unless provoked.

OP
OP
Callred1975

Callred1975

Apr 21, 2017
Charlestown, Indiana
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would just replace the performance center thumb piece with a standard one, but once youā€™ve actually used this weird looking thing a few times, it grows on you. It really speeds up reload times. Especially in combination with moon clips.

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yup. Provoking could include crawling into a nice cool mine shaft with them, with nowhere for them to escape.
It could be cresting a ridge and coming upon a bear eating the guts out of a deer. It could be rounding the corner to see a mess of cute kittens, pups, or cubs in the middle of a trail. Spend enough time outdoors and it will happen eventually.

Luckily even these types of situations generally turn out ok every time.
As far as I know, I've never had any close calls with nature (aside from stepping over rattlesnakes).

I see a firearm as an extremely effective whistle.
If people are looking for you for one reason or another..a gun shot can be heard for miles.

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would just replace the performance center thumb piece with a standard one, but once youā€™ve actually used this weird looking thing a few times, it grows on you. It really speeds up reload times. Especially in combination with moon clips.

That's OK, I've got one of the weird ones that hold 7 rounds.
Unfortunately I have not found a good holster that accommodates a reflex sight yet.
Yes it's very fun to shoot..another great reason to bring it with you!! Give me enough time and I can come up with all kinds of excuses!
6035D6D3-A1CC-4A1A-9B29-EA4F93971EBF.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Callred1975

Callred1975

Apr 21, 2017
Charlestown, Indiana
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My 686 holds 7 rounds too. Itā€™s a very unusual revolver (1/2 the reason I bought it. lol)

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The main reason Iā€™ll be carrying a weapon is for animals of the 2 legged variety.

Can you say coyote? As in the ones who smuggle drugs or are human traffickers. The potential for encountering them has scared me away from prospecting in near border areas where I started prospecting some 50 years ago.

Good luck.

RTR

Gold Member
Nov 21, 2017
Smith Mt. Lake Va.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Liberator
Falcon MD-20
Blue Bowl
Angus MacKirk sluice
Miller Table
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
AT ONE POUND w/30 rounds.............PMR-30

OP
OP
Callred1975

Callred1975

Apr 21, 2017
Charlestown, Indiana
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I donā€™t know.....

Can you say 125 grain jacketed hollow point? lol

Iā€™m not looking for trouble and donā€™t really expect any, but you canā€™t live in fear of what might happen. Prepare for the worst and let the cards fall how they may.

Johnnybravo300

Bronze Member
Jan 3, 2016
South of Gunnison, Gold Basin
Detector(s) used
F2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
In the animal world we arent very well protected, we dont have any natural weapons, and we cant outrun anything that might want to eat us.
Our big brains have enabled us to invent ways to survive.
I carry a fire kit and first aid supplies most of the time too, hopefully never need them either but it's better than freezing all night and licking my wounds.

beekbuster

Jan 17, 2015
Detector(s) used
gpx 4500
gpz (died in a fire. rip)
Primary Interest:
Other
From my experience I have noticed a detector that has a shorter range, such as a vlf or my sdc, the pistol on my hip does not affect the ability of the detector. but my gpx detector is very much affected by it. with my 19" coil I have to take all metal off of me or it is unusable. the 14" I can keep my side arm on me if I am conscious of it while swinging, but i know the depth is still affected.

beekbuster

Jan 17, 2015
Detector(s) used
gpx 4500
Primary Interest:
Other
Yup. Provoking could include crawling into a nice cool mine shaft with them, with nowhere for them to escape.
It could be cresting a ridge and coming upon a bear eating the guts out of a deer. It could be rounding the corner to see a mess of cute kittens, pups, or cubs in the middle of a trail. Spend enough time outdoors and it will happen eventually.

Luckily even these types of situations generally turn out ok every time.
As far as I know, I've never had any close calls with nature (aside from stepping over rattlesnakes).

I see a firearm as an extremely effective whistle.
If people are looking for you for one reason or another..a gun shot can be heard for miles.

more than once Ive had to set off a whistle to let a bear know it was too close. they can be curious if they dont know what you are. If I was in Arizona snake shot would be the first round. real ones after that. I have prevoked an animal before, i did not win. I literally got ram sacked. The doc got a good laugh as he was stitching up my lip.

OP
OP
Callred1975

Callred1975

Apr 21, 2017
Charlestown, Indiana
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I really appreciate the info beekbuster. Thatā€™s what I was afraid of. I bet a gun on my hip will affect the depth of my GPZ. Iā€™ll definitely go with a behind the back carry holster.

beekbuster

Jan 17, 2015
Detector(s) used
gpx 4500
Primary Interest:
Other
I've had a CCW for years, yet I've never carried.

Once I "achieved" my CCW, reality spoke very loudly to me = I'd kill someone?

Ya gotta think about the reality of that. Vietnam and Cambodian vet - I did kill several. I WILL NEVER get over that, I see it and remember it to this day. Taking a life really does suck. Till the day I die = I pray for my soul

i took the time to do my ccw to comply with the law. I have been hunting since i was 8 years old. I use firearms regularly. they are common place for me. The question you should ask yourself is not are you willing to take a persons life, it is what are you willing to do to save your own life? I hope I never have to touch my firearm to defend myself. youll know when you need it, and if you dont have it, youll be sorry. Thankyou for your service. i understand where youre coming from.

Last edited:

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
From my experience I have noticed a detector that has a shorter range, such as a vlf or my sdc, the pistol on my hip does not affect the ability of the detector. but my gpx detector is very much affected by it. with my 19" coil I have to take all metal off of me or it is unusable. the 14" I can keep my side arm on me if I am conscious of it while swinging, but i know the depth is still affected.

I'm a little confused :icon_scratch:.......

How come any metal on your body makes your GPX with 19" coil unusable but all the metal in and on the detector itself does not, or is it all carbon fiber and plastic?

Also just wondering if you layed your pistol on the ground and ground balanced over it to null it out would fix the problem without losing any gold detecting capability?

I know I'm showing my ignorance here, but I've never owned a GPX or used a 19" coil.

GG~

Last edited:

beekbuster

Jan 17, 2015
Detector(s) used
gpx 4500
Primary Interest:
Other
a pistol is a big target. even worse is a pin pointer. that was a waste of $120. it has to stay in the backpack which I have to take off in order to use my machine. so i never take it with me. a metal detector will not gb on a chunk of metal. I hope you were being sarcastic. Sarcasm doesnt go over well via text. ask my former boss.

beekbuster

Jan 17, 2015
Detector(s) used
gpx 4500
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm a little confused :icon_scratch:.......

How come any metal on your body makes your GPX with 19" coil unusable but all the metal in and on the detector itself does not, or is it all carbon fiber and plastic?

Also just wondering if you layed your pistol on the ground and ground balanced over it to null it out would fix the problem without losing any gold detecting capability?

I know I'm showing my ignorance here, but I've never owned a GPX or used a 19" coil.

GG~

With a gpx, I have to make sure its not falsing from the metal in my shoes, I have my certain pair of shoes I use to avoid the falsing. I cant imagine what the gpz guys have to do. speaking of, i slipped out of work early today and went to try and squeeze one more piece from one of my spots ive hammered to death... and some unkown person, that most likely had a gpz, and is very proficient with it, flogged my spot!!!! a perfect line of digs right up to the vein...... damn it!!!!!! I know they didnt get anything close to what i got out of it, but it still irks me to see a perfect line of holes where i have hammered, scraped and scoured.

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
a pistol is a big target. even worse is a pin pointer. that was a waste of $120. it has to stay in the backpack which I have to take off in order to use my machine. so i never take it with me. a metal detector will not gb on a chunk of metal. I hope you were being sarcastic. Sarcasm doesnt go over well via text. ask my former boss.

Sorry if my questions came off being sarcastic, not my intention. Guess I'm used to my detector, it will null out a chunk of iron ore or even a gold nugget if allowed to do so. Never tried it on my nickel plated 357 revolver though.

Out of curiosity, does the GPX have much metal on it? I know there is no comparison but my Whites GMT has a lot of metal on it.

I know what you mean about footwear I wear boots with plastic eyelets and no steel toes or shank while detecting.
And I quit using my pinpointer and found that two plastic scoops along with not wearing rings or a watch made life much easier.

As far as the GPZ 7000 goes I want one so bad I can taste it. Still saving for one.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread