Carrying firearm while nugget shooting In Arizona? - Page 5
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
Like Tree201Likes

Thread: Carrying firearm while nugget shooting In Arizona?

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    if it flies, it dies

Jan 2015
    gpx 4500 sdc 2300
    1285 times
    ducks, bucks and gold
    Quote Originally Posted by IMAUDIGGER View Post
    Not true - there are Wolverines in California. Who was it that said "the last one died"?

I was lucky enough to get a nice look at a Wolverine 4-5 years ago near the top of the state.
    I'm 100% confident in the identification. The encounter is burned into my memory.
    Most memorable were the long sharp claws and the stocky muscular frame. I mistook it for a small bear at first.
    Luckily it hung around long enough to get a good look. I can tell you it looked all business.
    It was not something I'd fearful of unless I encountered it in close quarters in some weird situation.

Couple years ago I might have seen another one, but it was just a glimpse through the trees and I'm not certain.

There are places animals can easily hide...just consider how hard it is to find a big old buck during hunting season.
    They simply disappear and they are really common animals in the forest.
    i read that the one near tahoe was suspected to be the last one, and with a 7 year life span... it hasnt been seen in awhile.
    Last edited by beekbuster; Feb 12, 2020 at 09:52 PM.
    got the fever? dont scratch the itch.

us
    Aug 2015
    Montana
    Goldmonster, SDC 2300, etrac
    921 times
    Metal Detecting
    Quote Originally Posted by beekbuster View Post
    i read that the one near tahoe was suspected to be the last one, and with a 7 year life span... it hasnt been seen in awhile. Then again, they say road runners dont live in northern california..
    I've seen roadrunners in N. Cal back in '70 (?)…. story went that a guy moved up from the southwest, bought a ranch, scared of snakes and imported some RR's and they took well to the country....() As far as the gulo goes...been chasing him since 2010 and got 4 on cam so far and haven't got one for 5 yrs now? Hard animal to cross paths with, so few and far in between even in Montana as we are also at extreme lower end of their range....

Mar 2016
    3689 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by oneguy View Post
    I've seen roadrunners in N. Cal back in '70 (?)…. story went that a guy moved up from the southwest, bought a ranch, scared of snakes and imported some RR's and they took well to the country....() As far as the gulo goes...been chasing him since 2010 and got 4 on cam so far and haven't got one for 5 yrs now? Hard animal to cross paths with, so few and far in between even in Montana as we are also at extreme lower end of their range....
    I’ve also encountered a single roadrunner at the top of California.
    Blows your mind away when you see an animal you KNOW you have never seen before.

Per the Wolverine, I’ve read that they will leave entire drainages if there is human activity..that they really do not like humans. Like you said...we are at the very southern tip of their range.

My dad also saw a wolf in the 1960’s in Northern California when he was hunting.
    Last edited by IMAUDIGGER; Feb 12, 2020 at 10:11 PM.
    This Communication HEREBY Serves as OFFICIAL NOTICE That All Messages in This Thread Have Been REVIEWED. FURTHERMORE, All Messages of Positive Nature SHALL IRREVOCABLY Be Considered "LIKED" INSOFAR as Applicable to This Forum. FINALLY, All Discrimination is Strictly PROHIBITED.

us
    Aug 2015
    Montana
    Goldmonster, SDC 2300, etrac
    921 times
    Metal Detecting
    I’ve also encountered a single roadrunner at the top of California.
    Blows your mind away when you see an animal you KNOW you have never seen before.

Per the Wolverine, I’ve read that they will leave entire drainages if there is human activity..that they really do not like humans.
    They are like any other predator and prefer to not be around people but they won't just pull up stakes because a few people show up now and then? There's some really good info on gulo out there and just as much bad info... You have to be real careful and read between the lines on some of the better, more recent info, because the tree hugger, bunny hugger, rock licker type groups are usually the groups that fund these "studies" so there's usually an underlying theme(s) they sprinkle in their reports/studies. Be aware of these themes which are climate change and inter breeding because of low #'s. Then they tend to want to lock up more area for "corridor areas" so gulo can spread genes between different "pockets" of gulo. This is usually the common theme. Granted females need deep snow, usually north facing high country, to safely have their pups so snow is important and if we are warming up my guess is gulo will naturally retreat further north over time? Too much human encroachment, lack of food and lack of deep snow in spring will have a negative effect on them in time...until then he'll be fine in the areas that give gulo what they need? Keep in mind that the animal never has had huge #'s, especially in the southern end of their normal range (U.S.)....that's by natures design.

Sorry for the hijack...got 2-2.5 months before I can get out and I'm bored stiff waiting to get out on the yellow stuff.....
    Last edited by oneguy; Feb 12, 2020 at 11:45 PM.
    beekbuster and Clay Diggins like this.

if it flies, it dies

Jan 2015
    gpx 4500 sdc 2300
    1285 times
    ducks, bucks and gold
    the wolves are back.
    delnorter and DeepseekerADS like this.
    got the fever? dont scratch the itch.

Mar 2016
    3689 times
    Quote Originally Posted by beekbuster View Post
    the wolves are back.
    Different breed of wolves from what I’ve read.

The sad part is, a lot of money has been spent reintroducing elk to the area and they have not fully recovered yet.
    Having another predator (that specifically follows the herds) is not going to help things at this point in time.

I’ve long predicted that sometime soon, grizzly bears will magically appear with tracking collars on.
    Goldwasher and beekbuster like this.
    This Communication HEREBY Serves as OFFICIAL NOTICE That All Messages in This Thread Have Been REVIEWED. FURTHERMORE, All Messages of Positive Nature SHALL IRREVOCABLY Be Considered "LIKED" INSOFAR as Applicable to This Forum. FINALLY, All Discrimination is Strictly PROHIBITED.

us
    Oct 2008
    Fort Dick, Ca.
    1045 times
    OR-54, A 4 year old grey wolf, which was tracked by radio collar traveling over 8000 miles throughout Northern California, was found dead a few days ago. DFW does not yet say the cause of death.
    beekbuster likes this.

Mar 2016
    3689 times
    Ashland, Oregon has a world renown forensic center for animals...I’m sure that’s where it went.

I thought I heard something about it being found dead in the middle of a road.

us
    Apr 2017
    Charlestown, Indiana
    Minelab GPZ 7000, Minelab CTX 3030, Minelab Gold Monster 1000, Garrett Propointer AT
    73 times
    I’m in Arizona and have spent most of the last week helping my buddy move his stuff into his new home and get settled. I have found time to go out nugget shooting a couple of times on the Little San Domingo wash (thanks to permission from Dave Mahoney at the AAP). Haven’t found any color yet, but I’m still new to this and using unfamiliar equipment. I have discovered that the metal eyelets in my boots play hell with my GPZ. I’m gonna have to invest in some boots with zero metal.
    Goodyguy and beekbuster like this.
    Southern Indiana/Louisville area, (“Divorced, single, and lovin it”)

Charter Member
    us
    "WP"

May 2012
    20966 times
    Quote Originally Posted by delnorter View Post
    OR-54, A 4 year old grey wolf, which was tracked by radio collar traveling over 8000 miles throughout Northern California, was found dead a few days ago. DFW does not yet say the cause of death.
    There have been rumors of fast moving collars /wearers catching rides elsewhere......
    Clay Diggins likes this.

Mar 2016
    3689 times
    Quote Originally Posted by releventchair View Post
    There have been rumors of fast moving collars /wearers catching rides elsewhere......
    That’s a VERY risky endeavor. Lots of covert surveillance being performed 24/7 around the packs in Northern California. Cameras installed along the roads.

Not everywhere, but in areas where there are collared wolves.
    releventchair likes this.

Charter Member
    us
    "WP"

May 2012
    20966 times
    That’s a VERY risky endeavor. Lots of covert surveillance being performed 24/7 around the packs in Northern California. Cameras installed along the roads.

Not everywhere, but in areas where there are collared wolves.
    The Upper Peninsula of Michigan has some contention among hunters and residents over reintroduction.
    Stories abound.
    Clay Diggins likes this.

Mar 2016
    3689 times
    Quote Originally Posted by releventchair View Post
    The Upper Peninsula of Michigan has some contention among hunters and residents over reintroduction.
    Stories abound.
    Here there was no public input prior to reintroduction despite it being contrary to historical public policy. For 100 years, public funds were spent eradicating them. My options are not galvanized either way, but I do expect to be able to participate in these decisions.

Charter Member
    us
    "WP"

May 2012
    20966 times
    Here there was no public input prior to reintroduction despite it being contrary to historical public policy. For 100 years, public funds were spent eradicating them. My options are not galvanized either way, but I do expect to be able to participate in these decisions.
    I don't recall any support in Michigan. Seemed a Federal desire that allowed it.
    With Federal land available ....It came to pass.
    Now control is the argument.
    A temporary season was established ,then no more followed.

Season was during deer season which did not help matters.
    But it's trapping that would have the greater effect anyways.

Heck , I don't care for coyotes. More so during fawning time. Wolves would not help as they pull down adult cervids.. Though they would bother the yotes.

Charter Member
    us
    I can dig it! "WP"

Mar 2007
    Arizona
    Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Suction Dredges, Hand Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4 Shaker table etc. etc.
    4423 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Callred1975 View Post
    I’m in Arizona and have spent most of the last week helping my buddy move his stuff into his new home and get settled. I have found time to go out nugget shooting a couple of times on the Little San Domingo wash (thanks to permission from Dave Mahoney at the AAP). Haven’t found any color yet, but I’m still new to this and using unfamiliar equipment. I have discovered that the metal eyelets in my boots play hell with my GPZ. I’m gonna have to invest in some boots with zero metal.
    Take your pinpointer with you, it's getting hard to find a good pair of boots with no steel shank.
    Callred1975 likes this.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links