Tesoro LOBO or the Gold Bug II for nugget hunting?

Greyfox08

Feb 10, 2008
I want to thank everyone for their input about which of the Metal Detectors are better a finding nuggets. But, when all is saidand done how do you seperate the wheat from the shaft? As I continue to do my research I bumped into the Tesoro Lobo with Auto Balance. From talking to two of the dealers mineralization can drive you nuts when it changes ever few feet. The Lobo automatically switches as the soil changes ....... does that make any sence to those who know want their talking about? The Cold Bug II doesn't switch as the soil becomes more or less mineralized, you have to keep adjusting the setting ....... ??? I hear it takes a while to learn to switch back and forth ....... but why if the LoBo will do it for you? .... or does it?

Also who's the best dealership for price & follow up support.

Attachments

• 261655AFie_w.jpg
    261655AFie_w.jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 3,777
Upvote 0

El Cooter

Mar 20, 2007
Merced, Ca.
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT, GMT, V-Sat and ML2200d
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ant finds all sorts of stuff with his Gold Bug. I dont think he finds nuggets though..He is on this forum alot

Cooter

paratrooper

Sep 20, 2004
Kingman AZ
LST V GB2 . Simple . The GB2 will find smaller gold at lower depths and the LST will find bigger gold deeper . Cracks in bedrock = GB2 rocks . Desert placer fields = LST rules .

supertraq

May 8, 2014
Pcola fl
Detector(s) used
Fisher cz6a,,,Fisher cz-20,,,,Teknetics gamma 6000,,"Tek Eurotek pro ,,Fisher gold bug s.e 2.9er,,Tek T2 ltd se,,Tek T2+,,Minelab Vanquish 540 and 340 and a new Nokta Legend and Garret Infinium
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
How did cortez get in this? lobo was the question.

supertraq

May 8, 2014
Pcola fl
Detector(s) used
Fisher cz6a,,,Fisher cz-20,,,,Teknetics gamma 6000,,"Tek Eurotek pro ,,Fisher gold bug s.e 2.9er,,Tek T2 ltd se,,Tek T2+,,Minelab Vanquish 540 and 340 and a new Nokta Legend and Garret Infinium
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Oh and strictly gold? get the gb2

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I vote for the Tesoro Lobo Super Traq. I used the Goldbug II for years, and it is an EXCELLENT machine. I just find the Lobo Super Traq easier to use and just as effective.

Attachments

• z2.jpg
    z2.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 754
  • z1.jpg
    z1.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 131

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I never leave home without either and small and large coils. Where the GB2 has problems the TLST steps right in and does the job. Had both for many years and can afford anything I want and still stickn' to my tried and true units. For coin/relics/beaches my ancient(100% rebuilt 1986 Golden Sabre from tesoro) rocks that world as with notch I still find gold/silver/nickels minus 90% of the trash. John

Attachments

• DSCN0629.JPG
    DSCN0629.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 176

Relichunter1

Feb 2, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon,Tesoro Lobo, Minelab GPX 4500.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tesoro Lobo..........easy to use, lifetime warranty ! And as John said, you can use it for coins, jewelry , relichunting and the beaches...it''s a great multi-purpose machine and HOT on Gold !

Don in SoCal

Jul 19, 2014
Corona
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800; 11", 6X9CT... Compadre; 6C, 8OOR, 3X18 Cleansweep...GM4b; 6X9DD, 6X9C ...ML Sovereign; 8 & 10 Tornado, 10X12 Detech SEF …GP3500, 6X8 Sadie, 12 EVO, 14 CT Mono&DD
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Terry Soloman, The Tejon uses the same coils and operating frequency as the Lobo S/T. The Tejon also is able to be manually ground balanced instead of the auto tracking found on the LST. How do you compare these features for gold nugget hunting?

Last edited:

Don in SoCal

Jul 19, 2014
Corona
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800; 11", 6X9CT... Compadre; 6C, 8OOR, 3X18 Cleansweep...GM4b; 6X9DD, 6X9C ...ML Sovereign; 8 & 10 Tornado, 10X12 Detech SEF …GP3500, 6X8 Sadie, 12 EVO, 14 CT Mono&DD
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
NT.

Last edited:

NeoTokyo

Bronze Member
Aug 27, 2012
Redding
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Eyes - Nokta FORS Gold - Fisher Gold Bug II
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hello 2008, its been a crazy couple few of years but DAMN there are some hot little detectors now.

My personal VLF favorite right now is the Nokta FORS Gold
My personal PI favorite right now is the Minelab SDC 2300

Otherwise you still cant go wrong with the Lobo or GB2 but there are better now.
Too bad you didn't stick around for more than 3 posts though. :(

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Terry Soloman, The Tejon uses the same coils and operating frequency as the Lobo S/T. The Tejon also is able to be manually ground balanced instead of the auto tracking found on the LST. How do you compare these features for gold nugget hunting?

I have never used my Tejon for nuggetshooting. I like the Lobo Super Traq because it does have auto ground tracking, and I don't have to re-ground balance every 50-feet in hot ground out around Rich Hill, like I used to with the Goldbug II.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions