#@%*&!! AMATEURS!!!

XL-PRO PRO

Sep 18, 2008
Winchester Tennessee
Detector(s) used
MXT All Pro,Fisher F-19,Blistool V-5,Sovereign XS
#@%*&!! AMATEURS!!!

Hit my favorite swim area this morning while on my ring quest.Right in the middle of the grassy walking path was a huge hole.Swept it & removed the zincoln from the pile of dirt and began filling the hole.Since it had rained the dirt was settled and I had to use sand from the beach to fill it.These people that don't fill give us all a bad rap and cause the establishment to shut down more detecting sites.Maybe detectors need a warning label like tobacco; "FILL YOUR HOLES"!!! The only good part of this venture was ring #4 for this year.DBULL

Upvote 0
Re: #@%*&!! AMATEURS!!!

MEMORIAL MAGNET said:
Muddyhandz said:
This is a good topic. I am surely not going to defend someone who leaves a mess but there are other factors that I want to mention and raccoons are a good start. Although digging a big hole for a new penny bugs me, I have been responsible for damaging the ground. First of all, there has been times when a kid is watching me from a distance and as soon as I leave, I've caught them pulling up my plugs and leaving them open. Second, riding lawnmowers have been known to suck up plugs if the ground is dry. Third, digging during dry spells cause all the plugs to turn yellow which is not pretty. DIGGING HOLES SHOULD ONLY BE DONE BY A PROFESSIONAL! Who knows what the repercussions are from digging in all ground conditions. Digging in nicely manicured lawns during a dry season should be a no-no. All shallow finds should be probed. Plugs should be "half plugs" so that the roots don't die and the plug doesn't pop out because it is half attached. Of course if you do dig a plug, a mad, stomping dance is required to make sure the plug is flush with the ground. When a plug is cut, it must be put back in the exact way it came out, like a jig-saw puzzle, otherwise it may pop out. I know there is some gray area here, since I know if I got a silver quarter signal at 8 inches, my plug is definitely gonna get bigger than normal. Who wants to scratch what could be a really good find? With that mentioned, as hard as it may be, try and cut small plugs as much as possible. My point in all of this is that even "professionals" who take the right steps, may come back to find their plugs up rooted or looking yellow. My advice other that proper digging methods, is to go back periodically and check on the sites to see if everything is O.K. You never know, even if you did all the right things, it still may look like a mine field! Anyone who knows all of this and still doesn't care, well they might find their search coil shoved up somewhere the sun doesn't shine.
Dave.
Not trying to pick a fight but, this sounds like a statement from a true archie !!!!! ( I can dig but you cant?) "Only a professional should dig a hole" What kind of statement is that? Are you going to create classes to promote people to a professional or should metal detecting end with you and your generation? I am an amateur and try to do the very best I can to not give our hobby a bad name. I enjoy digging a find and replacing the plug to look like I was not ever there. I am a true believer that if you have something negative to say, try and add some positive. Here goes. You do sound knowledgeable so maybe post some how to videos and digging facts. The fact of the lawn mowers, I did not know that. Does this mean I should not dig? I plan to continue with my new hobby passion. Sorry.
Insecure about metal detecting are we? Negative post? Why are you guilty? My generation? I'm 35 years old and I started at 13. What generation would that be? If you haven't noticed the title in this post is F'ing amateurs. I'm a professional with over 20 years experience and thought I was offering just that, experiences. This forum caters to amateurs. They post their $1.23 and a pulltab, and everyone says "way to go" and they feel better. A newbie asks a question, and all the pro's give good FREE advice. You want me to go out of my way further and post videos? I don't owe you anything and keep it up, I won't offer anything to newbies anymore period >:(
The bottom line is that careless people are ruining it for the rest of us.
P.S. try reading some of my previous posts and you'll see that I'm no Archie :tongue3:
Dave.

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023

tri trackers said:
We have a MD'er that doesn't fill his holes at a certain park we go to. We have been behind him on several occasions. He usually keeps to himself and doesn't get anywhere near us. Should we leave a note on his windsheild?? Is there something anyone reccomends that we print up and stick on his windsheild??
tri trackers

Approach, befriend and coach,
If he don't take to the nice way of doing things, verbally abuse him!

jersey devl

Mar 2, 2008
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Tesoro: Cortes,Tiger Shark,& Vaquero

Followed in the footsteps of one of these people today...whoever is doing the construction site houses on Capital Ave. in Mishawaka IN ... >:( fill in your 12" round holes)

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

One of my pet peeves for sure and I even say so in my signature line. I finally got my water detector so I could hunt inland freshwater beaches a couple of years ago. I went to a beach that was once very popular until a bunch of gangbangers started hanging out there and causing trouble, so it was rarely used any more. I remember it being heavily used back before 1964, so I was seeking silver. When I got there the entire beach looked like it had been saturation bombed! There was 12" holes dug almost every couple of feet on the beach itself and on the surrounding picnic areas! Somebody had been there with a detector and a shovel and made a horrible mess. All I had was a handheld digger but I tried to mend all the holes I could but it was just too much for me without proper tools. While I was there another detectorist came up and we talked and he just couldn't believe what he was seeing either. He lived fairly close and said he had recovered quite a bit of silver there. He said it had been done during the last couple of weeks because he had been there in the interim. We just shook our heads and departed. He said he was going to go home and get a shovel and try to fix some of it if he could. Rediculous! Monty

B

BIG61AL

I always have an ace up my sleeve if anyone complains about me digging up a park....I'll just show them all my clad and junk and tell them to find any of my holes. They won't find any beyond one or two. I must dug about 500 or so holes in one park I keep going back to over the years and yet it looks it was never detected at all..
If the lack of good finds doesn't kill the hobby, the lunkheads who don't refill their holes will....

MEMORIAL MAGNET said:
Lowbatts said:
tri trackers said:
We have a MD'er that doesn't fill his holes at a certain park we go to. We have been behind him on several occasions. He usually keeps to himself and doesn't get anywhere near us. Should we leave a note on his windsheild?? Is there something anyone reccomends that we print up and stick on his windsheild??
tri trackers

Approach, befriend and coach,
If he don't take to the nice way of doing things, verbally abuse him!
What a Jerk! congrats on your 35 year experience! Congrats on your know it all, I am better than you attitude! If you don't like my pull tab don't read my post! if you don't want to help us newbies don't criticize us! You dont want to give advise, keep your dumb a$@ mouth shut! I really thought this was a friendly site where everyone was welcome and questions and support was encouraged? If you had read any of my other posts you would see that maybe I was a little insecure about digging at first. You would see that I wanted to learn everything I could to make the right decisions and to not cause any bad thought about this hobby. I guess there is someone like you everywhere you go. I hope when I become a professional I can be just like you! :thumbsup: jerk!

Why are you addressing me? I recall many posts that were just ranting at those who are ruining it for others. I posted experiences about ground conditions and other factors that Newbies and professional alike may have overlooked. I could have said F'ing amateurs and nothing else. You clearly have insecurities about M.D'ing (and no I didn't read your previous posts) and attacking me is a waste of energy. If you go back to 2003 and see my old posts, you will see someone who has always offered advice to newbies. More importantly, out here in the field, I have taught at least 10 beginners the tricks and trade of metal detecting. I have gotten many others interested and pointed the way to getting started. I have shared my knowledge freely while other "Pro's" have told me to say nothing 'cause there is enough competition out there already. You know nothing about me and should rethink your approach to someone who could add some valuable experience to your hobby. That's why I said that I owe you nothing when you suggested that I post how to videos. I already offered my 2 cents which I didn't have to do and is obviously not good enough for you.
Regardless, I wish you luck and hope that everything goes well in the field.
Dave.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

MEMORIAL MAGNET said:
[What a Jerk! congrats on your 35 year experience! Congrats on your know it all, I am better than you attitude! If you don't like my pull tab don't read my post! if you don't want to help us newbies don't criticize us! You dont want to give advise, keep your dumb a$@ mouth shut! I really thought this was a friendly site where everyone was welcome and questions and support was encouraged? If you had read any of my other posts you would see that maybe I was a little insecure about digging at first. You would see that I wanted to learn everything I could to make the right decisions and to not cause any bad thought about this hobby. I guess there is someone like you everywhere you go. I hope when I become a professional I can be just like you! :thumbsup: jerk!

Name calling, insulting comments and going off on someone like you are is not going to get help from many members here. Yes TN is a friendly site, in fact very friendly, many members help other members and especially newbies, I got lots of help when I first started, and I still need and get help. I help as many others as I possibly can when I can to give back what I was taught.....

More would be accomplished with less name calling...................

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Muddyhandz said:
This is a good topic. I am surely not going to defend someone who leaves a mess but there are other factors that I want to mention and raccoons are a good start. Although digging a big hole for a new penny bugs me, I have been responsible for damaging the ground. First of all, there has been times when a kid is watching me from a distance and as soon as I leave, I've caught them pulling up my plugs and leaving them open. Second, riding lawnmowers have been known to suck up plugs if the ground is dry. Third, digging during dry spells cause all the plugs to turn yellow which is not pretty. DIGGING HOLES SHOULD ONLY BE DONE BY A PROFESSIONAL! Who knows what the repercussions are from digging in all ground conditions. Digging in nicely manicured lawns during a dry season should be a no-no. All shallow finds should be probed. Plugs should be "half plugs" so that the roots don't die and the plug doesn't pop out because it is half attached. Of course if you do dig a plug, a mad, stomping dance is required to make sure the plug is flush with the ground. When a plug is cut, it must be put back in the exact way it came out, like a jig-saw puzzle, otherwise it may pop out. I know there is some gray area here, since I know if I got a silver quarter signal at 8 inches, my plug is definitely gonna get bigger than normal. Who wants to scratch what could be a really good find? With that mentioned, as hard as it may be, try and cut small plugs as much as possible. My point in all of this is that even "professionals" who take the right steps, may come back to find their plugs up rooted or looking yellow. My advice other that proper digging methods, is to go back periodically and check on the sites to see if everything is O.K. You never know, even if you did all the right things, it still may look like a mine field! Anyone who knows all of this and still doesn't care, well they might find their search coil shoved up somewhere the sun doesn't shine.
Dave.

From your sarcasm it is obvious you are still misssing the entire essence of Muddyhandz post. ::)

"First of all, there has been times when a kid is watching me from a distance and as soon as I leave, I've caught them pulling up my plugs and leaving them open." I have seen this myself........

Second riding lawnmowers have been known to suck up plugs if the ground is dry True fact................

Third, digging during dry spells cause all the plugs to turn yellow which is not pretty. DIGGING HOLES SHOULD ONLY BE DONE BY A PROFESSIONAL! Who knows what the repercussions are from digging in all ground conditions. I think this is where you were offended, but I think you misunderstood his meaning. He offered sound advice in his comments......

I didn't see it as saying holes should be dug only by "archies", that was your interpretation, but rather by someone who knows how to recover a target with the least amount of visual damage to the ground.

I personally do not dig a single hole on land that has not been probed first. 99.9% of my holes dug in the ground can not be seen when I am finished. I use the Ez-Dig-r system to recover land targets, after pinpointing with the Detectorpro Uniprobe. My average hole is no more then 1-2 inches wide, and I can dig pretty deep still leaving only a tiny hole on the surface, that is all but invisible when finished. I have had city park employees walk up watch me dig then walk off and never say a word to me.

ezdigrII.jpg

Yes, I do still consider myself a newbie :wink: , I have only been detecting for 3 years this June. I am primarily a beach hunter, but I do hunt land as well.

lastleg

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2008

Sometimes the plug just shows. Before standing I reach out and gather up a handful
of leaves or debris and let it fall over the plug. If it still looks bare grab up some green
grass to cover the disturbed dirt. When I can't see the plug I begin the slow climb to
my feet. This way I know that my digging stays my secret. lastleg

Muddyhandz said:
Dave.

I'm sure the professional comment bothered him but if he read carefully, I go on to explain this. Here, I highlighted it in bold. In fact at the beginning, I say that I am responsible for causing damage myself.
I do apologize for reacting to his post and I have no problems with newbies posting their finds and the $1.23 and a pull tab scenario was just me getting riled up and wasn't directed to anyone.
The main thing is that we try to be more responsible so that everyone can enjoy this great hobby.
H.H.
Dave.

artzstuff1

Bronze Member
Oct 8, 2008
Wayne Co. IL. "POND CREEK"
Detector(s) used
Tesoro's (many- 7-8)

Ya,,, or some ass wipe putting there trash back in the hole they just dug,,, what a kook,,,,,,, aint that right brock you know who i mean!!!!

Art

Socalal

Greenie
May 8, 2008
Gardena, CA
Detector(s) used
White's Eagle II SL, XLT, & DFX-300, Tesoro SuperTrac & Compadre, Minelab GP-3500

I think it's neat that some of the Dealers have a little sticker that they attach to every search coil that says "REMEMBER TO FILL THE HOLES". I've been detecting for over 30 years, and I do fill the holes that I dig (and many others that I see someone else didn't fill) --- but I never take those stickers off my coils. Good reminder for me, and good conversation starter when you come upon the newbies and the general looky-loos. ---- Al

curbdiggercarl57

Silver Member
Nov 19, 2007
Largo, Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Silver Eagle, DFX, Shadow X-2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

You mean I'm supposed to be filling my holes after I spent all that time digging them? I'll be right back.

CowboyKolo

Nov 11, 2007
Nebraska
Detector(s) used
White Eagle Spectrum

well, being an amateur myself, I have two little advantages.
I bought my detector from a fella in town who took me out
the first day to use it. That, coupled with the fact I ran a
small scale landscape business for a time allows me to dig
plugs that rarely can be spotted a week later.
Course, every once in awhile I still dig a plug that when I fill
it back up...oh yeah, you can tell someone dug there. But,
at least I filled the hole. S'one reason my landlord doesn't mind me
using my detector in the yard of the apartment building for a test site.

wesclox

Tenderfoot
May 6, 2009
Huntsville Alabama
Detector(s) used
Ground EFX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Wow. I haven't even gotten a MD yet, and this forum and it's "professionals" are REALLY turning me away from it. I believe it is safe to assume that most people (like myself) get excited about the history and crazy chance of finding something of value that is involved in this sport. Thus, we decide to buy a detector and go out and dig up holes, which is the same thing all "professionals" do.
Instead of bashing newbies and discouraging anyone new from the hobby, as well as giving the lawmakers an upper hand with their arguments, I think it would be a good idea to coach all of us newbies on the proper techniques. Maybe (if there isn't one already) start an entire section of this site just for them.
I would be extremely excited if I were in charge of the city, county, or state parks and land, had a grudge, and could come across a post like this. It would make my argument FOR me. I could see how immature "they" are with their posts, so I can safely assume they would be the same with their historical finds.
So I'd like to inform the "professionals" that you're only helping to hurt yourself in the longrun with degrading comments such as the ones I have read in this forum. It also gives the hobby a bad name to anyone who happens to stumble across this site from boredome (as I did). Though valid arguments, most sound pretty childish.
My opinion of a professional is someone who never really sees a problem, but a solution, or at least seeks one out and encourages educational information. If we can't police ourselves, someone must do it for us.

jb7487

Apr 16, 2009

I have to agree wesclox. Most of the people out here are great and are more than willing to pass along good, solid advice. And if you look around hard enough you will find information on the correct way to dig a plug. But I've also noticed that there are quite a few "professionals" or "old crusties" who would rather everyone else just go away and leave them alone. They are very hard on newbies and forget that they too were new at one point or another. I don't know if they fear change or just fear the competition.

I can see the frustration because people not filling their holes hurts all of us. But some of the comments out here are not necessary and not productive and do as much to hurt our image as the "amateurs" do.

JDS

Jun 8, 2007
Kansas City Missouri
Detector(s) used
ML4000/ML E-Trac/Ace 250/Antique Groundhog

Wow that is some thread! I am no newbie to detecting but in the desert looking for gold you use a pick and dig a large hole. Now we don't have to worry about killing the grass cause nature has done that for us. But we do back fill all of our holes. That being said even in the desert some lunk heads leave their hole open. Really stupid when you think all you have to do is drag your foot to replace the dirt you just removed. I have just started coin shooting and really would like some pointers or see a video on how it should be done. I have watched some on U-tube and they seem to just cut a circular plug. Is there a better digging tool than the one that came with my detector? What is your favorite tool? Come on some of you here claim to be pro's so instruct me. Don't let me be one of those other guys!

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Westclox,

The vast majority of replys here are not negative to newbies in general who want to learn, but are directed at those who have no reguard for the hobby, or the land in general. No one had to tell me to cover my holes, it is just common sense, yet it seems for some they lack even that trait.

The problem is the ones who start digging in the parks and lots like they are in the middle of the desert somewhere , they make it look bad for all of us and cause us to lose prime areas to hunt forever.

You jumped into the middle of a thread and take offense to it because it is directed at people who don't cover their holes, if you become a newbie and you cover your holes then the thread isn't directed at you and you have nothing to be offended about.

how u do n

Dec 21, 2008
in my own little world :)
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1280x Minlab E-Trac Garrett Pinpointer

For me
The best way to cut a plug is to use a nice sharp hunting knife and cut a 3 sided plug. lay the plug back use a good garret pinpointer and locate the coin. Then lay the plug back and you will not be able to see that you did it.
I have been doing this for decades and, when I am done you do not see any sign at all I was there. With a little practice you can do this too. Take your time and you will do fine.
Feel free to pm me for any other help.
hh
dan

Jack(IN)

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2007
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS-2, Garrett Ace 250

I know the feeling...but let me tell you, its not just the amateurs!! I've met a couple people who just don't care, dig a hole, not cover it, throw the trash on the ground or worse. We all get the bad rep because of these jerks, but you did all you could at the time. Thanks for the cleanup!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread