#@%*&!! AMATEURS!!!

XL-PRO PRO

Sep 18, 2008
Winchester Tennessee
Detector(s) used
MXT All Pro,Fisher F-19,Blistool V-5,Sovereign XS
#@%*&!! AMATEURS!!!

Hit my favorite swim area this morning while on my ring quest.Right in the middle of the grassy walking path was a huge hole.Swept it & removed the zincoln from the pile of dirt and began filling the hole.Since it had rained the dirt was settled and I had to use sand from the beach to fill it.These people that don't fill give us all a bad rap and cause the establishment to shut down more detecting sites.Maybe detectors need a warning label like tobacco; "FILL YOUR HOLES"!!! The only good part of this venture was ring #4 for this year.DBULL

Upvote 0

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: #@%*&!! AMATEURS!!!

The ones that REALLY infuriate me are the ones that do know better but could care less....

There are some people that are just brain dead and don't care about anyone else, only themselves. Even shallow water I will move the sand back in the hole. In water near ankle deep I won't dig at all in freshwater lakes so the park guests don't see the holes or small kids can fall. Either way some people can complain and the area can become closed.

JeepMcMuddy

Nov 9, 2008
Vancouver, WA
Detector(s) used
White's DFX-300, 4x6DD, 10"D2

One thing to remember, sometimes these holes could be dug by kids and their new radioshack/wallmart specials that they got for birthdays, etc, who dont know better. It doesnt forgive the black eye it gives our hobby, but they are not always done by inconsiderate adults. I have seen kids swinging those bright orange jobs at parks, etc. I do wish there was better education that came along with every detector. They tell you how to setup the machine, and then tell you to go dig. They should come with color photos of plugs and the proper way to dig and fill holes. If the detector industry would provide these and it helped just a few new people to dig properly, it would make a huge impact.

Mainedigger

Bronze Member
Sep 15, 2006
Maine
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's M6 & Prizm III
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

JeepMcMuddy said:
One thing to remember, sometimes these holes could be dug by kids and their new radioshack/wallmart specials that they got for birthdays, etc, who dont know better. It doesnt forgive the black eye it gives our hobby, but they are not always done by inconsiderate adults. I have seen kids swinging those bright orange jobs at parks, etc. I do wish there was better education that came along with every detector. They tell you how to setup the machine, and then tell you to go dig. They should come with color photos of plugs and the proper way to dig and fill holes. If the detector industry would provide these and it helped just a few new people to dig properly, it would make a huge impact.

I do know Whites puts a guidline book in with their detectors and emphasizes to re-fill all your holes. AS for the kids, yes they do not know better and it is our job to explain to them and show them proper etiquitte. It is also our job to educate the newbies, for if those of us that know better and practice proper digging don;t show those that don;t...then how can we ever expect them to gain that knowledge? Now for those that DO know better and just don;t care....well maybe we can amp our pinpointers up and use em as stun guns... :thumbsup:

littletwig

Sep 4, 2008
Magnolia, TEXAS
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT Pro, M6, 6x10 DD, 4x6 DD

Some may just not know, but most just have a bad case of dontgiveadamnitis. :violent1: :violent1:

Mainedigger

Bronze Member
Sep 15, 2006
Maine
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's M6 & Prizm III
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

littletwig said:
Some may just not know, but most just have a bad case of dontgiveadamnitis. :violent1: :violent1:

Yuo...and the need some altering of their attitude, or if not, then someone needs to alter their mental status some.... ::)

Goodinplenty

Dec 9, 2008
Sacramento

I think the best thing to do for all of you people who have been in the hobby for a while is to help educate us noobs. I am fairly new to the hobby and am not ready to go hack up a park until I have mastered the art of pinpointing a target with my etrac. At this point I am detecting in the woods and on some small beaches trying to figure out my machine. I realize that a small percentage of people will always be braindead and ruin it for everyone else, but there are lots of us noobs who are responsible and bring good for the hobby. Anyways, my point is instead of turning your nose up to the new people feel free to share your knowledge via video or by posting on the great forums, thanks.

Mainedigger

Bronze Member
Sep 15, 2006
Maine
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's M6 & Prizm III
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Goodinplenty said:
I think the best thing to do for all of you people who have been in the hobby for a while is to help educate us noobs. I am fairly new to the hobby and am not ready to go hack up a park until I have mastered the art of pinpointing a target with my etrac. At this point I am detecting in the woods and on some small beaches trying to figure out my machine. I realize that a small percentage of people will always be braindead and ruin it for everyone else, but there are lots of us noobs who are responsible and bring good for the hobby. Anyways, my point is instead of turning your nose up to the new people feel free to share your knowledge via video or by posting on the great forums, thanks.

The newbies aren;t the ones that really aggravate us, its the ones that know better. You alos have shown what we all like to see...quest for knowledge and you are smart enough to ask for advice, that is the first step in the right direction!! :thumbsup:

purespeed

Greenie
Feb 4, 2009

michigan michael said:
Hi All.

Well, I an an amateur. I got my detector last November and the weather has not permitted me much hunt time. I done a lot of research before purchasing my detector. I knew how to dig and fill my holes correctly before I even had a detector in my hands. Someone posted that they should put a warning label on detectors like they do a pack of smokes. I kind of agree. If all the detector dealers would include information on proper procedures we would all be better off, including the dealer. Lets face it. More detecting laws means less detector sales. I have also seen the you tube videos. I could not believe what I was seeing. Ripping the plug to pieces, cutting on an angle etc. We should all send replies to their posts. Maybe they will learn and change how they dig.
MM
Agreed, I knew and hunted a few times with two veterans . I was new explorer guy, and veterans were teaching me.
They both were proud of their extreme depth they achieved. I was agast immeditaely as they could turn a downtown park field into 50ydX50yd swiss cheese. Heres what they did, they sent their shovel head down slowly and deep on all sides of the target. Finally they would draw up the plug, and no crap it could be solid 10" still intact. Find their target, and slide the plug straight back down and in , about flush and leave it. No work of sealing the edges, or pounding it down and making it perfect. They could have sealed it real nice...but they would not. A couple times I'd go out to a park and look across a field and say HOLY CRAP! I could see every one of their plugs from a distance with my naked eye. I literally spent hours sealing their plugs here and there. Don't get me wrong these were great guys, but they would not take care of those holes....go figure.

rjw4law

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2007
Missouri
Detector(s) used
AT Garrett Max/ Garrett ATX/ Deus XP
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

I have trained several people on detecting...My motto is that no one should come behind you and know that you were there.

This is a good topic. I am surely not going to defend someone who leaves a mess but there are other factors that I want to mention and raccoons are a good start. Although digging a big hole for a new penny bugs me, I have been responsible for damaging the ground. First of all, there has been times when a kid is watching me from a distance and as soon as I leave, I've caught them pulling up my plugs and leaving them open. Second, riding lawnmowers have been known to suck up plugs if the ground is dry. Third, digging during dry spells cause all the plugs to turn yellow which is not pretty. DIGGING HOLES SHOULD ONLY BE DONE BY A PROFESSIONAL! Who knows what the repercussions are from digging in all ground conditions. Digging in nicely manicured lawns during a dry season should be a no-no. All shallow finds should be probed. Plugs should be "half plugs" so that the roots don't die and the plug doesn't pop out because it is half attached. Of course if you do dig a plug, a mad, stomping dance is required to make sure the plug is flush with the ground. When a plug is cut, it must be put back in the exact way it came out, like a jig-saw puzzle, otherwise it may pop out. I know there is some gray area here, since I know if I got a silver quarter signal at 8 inches, my plug is definitely gonna get bigger than normal. Who wants to scratch what could be a really good find? With that mentioned, as hard as it may be, try and cut small plugs as much as possible. My point in all of this is that even "professionals" who take the right steps, may come back to find their plugs up rooted or looking yellow. My advice other that proper digging methods, is to go back periodically and check on the sites to see if everything is O.K. You never know, even if you did all the right things, it still may look like a mine field! Anyone who knows all of this and still doesn't care, well they might find their search coil shoved up somewhere the sun doesn't shine.
Dave.

Mainedigger

Bronze Member
Sep 15, 2006
Maine
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's M6 & Prizm III
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Muddyhanz...all GREAT points...racoons, lawnmowers, ground conditions etc. What I have found to be the best policy and what I do...is honesty. I tell the landowner there is a chance the racoons may flip the plugs, I also tell them there is a liklihood the grass will turn brown where the plug is, I also tell them their lawnmower could rip out the plug. Finally I tell them I will do all I can do assure none of the above happen and will treat their lawn as if it were my own and will come back to "fix" any problems that arise. I;ve found they appreciate your being honest and I have only been turned down once from hunting a yard and that was not full denial for they just asked me to wait till fall when the lawn was not as big of a concern to them as in season.
One also has to remember to respect the landowners for we are asking if its o.k. to dig their lawn up and it is totally understandable why someone would hesitate to grant permission to do so.

davidtn

Dec 14, 2005
Tennessee
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites MX Sport, Eurotek Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I call them selfish and lazy...and that's just the G rated verison.

4DHunting

Greenie
Jan 18, 2009

:icon_study: I am certainly learning alot from TNet! Here and now I pledge to always "Fill My Holes."

fmerg

Nov 1, 2008
kingston ny
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
minelab quattro, explorer se pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

as a newbie to this hobby i am glad i found this site
the information offered here is worth more then any thing i will ever find with my md
as for filling holes it never accured to me that people did not do that
when me and my son dig we always fill them back up and tamp them
then when we get ready to leave we look back and see if we can tell were we dug if we can we try and fix it better
our digger is a garden knife its only about 2 inches wide and we can get about 10 inches deep in a 4 inch hole (thanks to my sons small hands)

jocap

Mar 8, 2007
NV
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, Bounty Hunter Land Ranger Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

No wonder why Md is being banned in all local parks. too bad you didn't see the person and give them a talking to.

HH

crashbro17x

Dec 20, 2008
Tennessee
Detector(s) used
White's MXT 300 w/950 coil, Bounty Hunter, Discover 3300 w/a 10" Bounty Hunter, Magnum Power Search Coil
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Uncovered holes is just the start of what gives this hobby a bad name to private property owners, as well as public property.

1.)
I ALWAYS get permission from the property owner before I get on a piece of property. I have the property owner show, or describe where the property lines are, and if I am not sure where they are I do not assume their location. Also, when I am talking to the property owner, I will always tell them that I will not leave any holes uncovered, and that if they see anything that I may have left out of place, to contact me and I will return to correct the problem. I don't know how many times I have been turned down for permission to hunt a piece of property just because the property owner has had people trespass on to their property with a metal detector. With that said, I have also had people thank me for asking permission, and tell me that they will let me hunt just because I stoped and asked. Words can not explain how being respectful to people will help you in the end.

2.)
I always respect a landowners property. As stated above, if you show the property owner respect, you will receive it in turn. With that said, I don't know how many times I have been turned down permission to hunt a piece of property where people have been there previously and left gates open where livestock is enclosed, dug holes and didn't fill them, rutted up fields, yards, or even farm roads with there vehicles when it was too muddy to be there, or left behind all of their trash, both dug and non-dug. It is simple....fill in your holes, pick up your trash, close the gates, and don't do anything with a vehicle, be it a car, truck, or ATV, that will deface the property....I know it takes a little more time, and if the property owner is nice enough to give YOU permission to be on their property, then YOU should show them and their property a little respect....Heck, if you are nice enough, and do what you are suppose to, most of the time they will let you come back! Something else I also do is revisit a site within a week or so of me being there, and check to make sure that all of my holes are still covered. I too, have had raccoons and rain effect the holes that I have dug, and because I revisited the site, I was able to recover the holes so that they were no longer a factor. Also, I ask the property owner where I should park my vehicle. I do not drive in to fields, or park in their way of getting in and out of their own property.

I wouldn't credit all of these things to newbies or amateurs. I give credit to all of the people who simply do not have respect for other peoples property. I do realize that there are variables that can effect a hole being covered, be it dry/wet weather, raccoons, and etc., but with a little effort and respect, those things can be attended to as well. Another thing that I would like to add is that if you come across where someone has left a hole uncovered or trash thrown about...FILL THE HOLE AND PICK UP THE TRASH! If you don't, the property owner may think that you are the one that did those things, and can/will refuse you permission to return.

OK...my rant is over now.

Hosensack

Apr 20, 2007
Mertztown, Pa
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Safari,X-Terra 705, Tesoro Tejon, Whites DFX, Garrett AT Pro, GTI 2500, 250, Fisher Gold Bug DP,F75 Limited
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

mlayers said:
Yea I don't know what i would call them either. But you would thing any moron would know to fill his hole in after they was done.....Matt

I assume unless you are one of those perfect beings, you have done plenty in your life to result this type of response from people familiar with a particular practice you were not so versed in.

TNet is perfect for informing newbies and "#@%*&!!AMATEURS" the correct methods and practices for this wonderful hobby, lets not make them feel like sh@# before they even get started.

Grabbing your quote was not meant to single you out, it was a short quote that matched the general sentiments of this topic so used it.

John (Ma)

Silver Member
Jul 12, 2007
Western Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal 1000, Tesoro Silver Umax, Tiger Shark and Whites MXT.

Unfortunatly there are slobs in every sport and the good end up paying the most, as the bad will always just do what they want anyway, wether it's against the law or ethics. It is a shame!

tri trackers

Feb 8, 2008
West Central Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett Sea Hunter Mark II, Excalibur 1000, Tesoro Tiger Shark & Golden Umax, BH Pioneer 202

We have a MD'er that doesn't fill his holes at a certain park we go to. We have been behind him on several occasions. He usually keeps to himself and doesn't get anywhere near us. Should we leave a note on his windsheild?? Is there something anyone reccomends that we print up and stick on his windsheild??
tri trackers

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Look on the bright side. Hopefully if their a newbie or not someone will educate them. About the best you can hope for is they'll get bored with the whole thing and hang their detector in the closet.

The way I look at, it's my park! (Payed for it with MY taxes) I treat it better than my own yard. I feel others should treat MY park that good too.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread