How do you beat thes guys?

C

chrisjets

How do you beat thes guy's?

I just came back from my local park after about an hour of detecting, the grass was full of mosquito's. We went camping this year to Saratoga, when we got back I counted over 50 bites on me. Does anyone have a good solution on these bloodsuckers? Any help would be greatly appreciated. I found just over a buck in clad but was driven out( with about 5 or 10 bites) would have like to stayed but man they itch?

Upvote 0

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: How do you beat thes guy's?

The Only Thing I Know Of Is Anything With ALOT of DEET.

The More The Better.

Good Luck !

jeff

OP
OP
C

chrisjets

Ok now Ill bite what's EEE?

northeast hunter

Bronze Member
Mar 21, 2005
NEW HAMPSHIRE

sorry its..... eastern equine encephalitis...the youngest victim was a 4 month old very sad..they call it triple E
we also have the West Nile Virus..i go in when thay come out

OP
OP
C

chrisjets

I have heard about the west nile is this along the same lines? ( I thought you were joking)

OP
OP
C

chrisjets

Well knock on wood I havent heard of it. Thanks for the info!

DigEmAll

Aug 29, 2005
Eastern UP, Michigan

Buddy of mine's little brother had EEE when he was about ten. It causes uncontrollable swelling of the brain. They did surgery and had to remove a part of his brain the size of a baseball. He is now recovered, however he has to sense of taste and no emotions. He no longer feels happy of sad and while he understands a good joke, they don't make him laugh. Anyway.... :-\

Go to the local Army surplus store and get the 100% DEET they we used in the military. You can put it on clothes and if you ABSOLUTLY HAVE TOO, you can apply it directly to your skin. It can cause sever irritation (so can mosquitoes!!!) and over many years, it can cause cancer. But I POSITITIVLY GUARENTEE they the critters will leave you alone! ;)

ashleen

Bronze Member
Aug 25, 2005
NH

dirtymoney said:
Does anyone have a good solution on these bloodsuckers?

a good hard frost...and it'll be here quicker than we know :(

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting

DEET will also melt plastic.

R

rvbvetter

I live on an Island in the Calif. Delta waterway. And an hour before dark every evening, they move in and take over. I use "OFF" ( No, not oven cleaner. Unless of course you have something baked on.) and get bit very few times. I spray my shirt also, cause here they go right through clothing HH

Z

ZumbroKid

We were fortunate to have a very mild year here when it comes to the little buggers. other than that i have not heard of anything as bad as the conditions you meantion.

C

cm5838

here in nor cal we have rice fields, for those of you that have never seen one, it is a man made swamp. we also have eee and west nile, as well as some other one i cannot remember. I smoke, so my bites are limited anyways, but with deep woods off they are non existant.
even the kids get it put on them when we are oout and they never complain about bites. I would waste any money on generics for the good brands, the money saved is not worth it. deep woods off is better then the reg off, it contains deet
Charles

Bulletboy

Feb 17, 2005

Muskol is 100% DEET and a little goes a long ways. Get a good product in a spray can to go with it and spray the back of your shirt before you put it on.

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

The sporting goods section of Wall-Mart has a 40% DEET spray that works very well. JIM aka KS

DigEmAll

Aug 29, 2005
Eastern UP, Michigan

By the way, DEET also works for felas, ticks, chiggers, no-see-em's, deer flies, and gnats. It will also safely remove ticks and chiggers. You can but the military stuff from a surplus store for about a buck a bottle and cut it with rubbing alcohol. much cheaper than the Wal-Mart stuff. And believe me when I say that it isn't generic!

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting

Hunting "The Cypress" and the Everglades all my life , I have become practically immune to mosquito bites. It'sTRUE: the leading mosquito expert says a person can build up immunity. The buzzing in my ears does become annoying though...I rub a little DEET in each ear. The higher percentage the better...salt marsh mocquitos can carry you away..lol.
I'm sorry to hear about people that catch these diseases...I think mosquitos can spread any blood disease.
Check basspro.com...Item no. 21-659-873-00...ThermaCELL....it's something new...I have not used it myself, but many people swear it works. You hang it on your belt. It is powered by a butane cartridge...creates an invisible, odorless protection, 15 feet around you for 12 hours. Sounds too good to be true, but many hunters here use it.
cypresshunter. ;D

northeast hunter

Bronze Member
Mar 21, 2005
NEW HAMPSHIRE

MAKE SHURE YOU USE BUG SPRAY

Attachments

• EEE.jpg
    EEE.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 289
M

mtnman

take vitamin B1,, and eat garlic not 100% but helps a lot..like the other replys DEET and more DEET HH jesse

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions