Municipal owned property and TH ing

richg

Jun 15, 2004
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
minelab products
I have found that any property owned by a municipality and run by a board of directors is not very keen to metal detectors. I have tried to obtain permission to 5 different sites that I have done research on then contacted the chairman of the board and every time the answer I get is no due to the liability. 2 of these sites have been watersheds where of course I was told I was a big threat to the water supply with my very dangerous garrett gti 1500. The 3 other sites have early 1800's houses on them right near the road and all I wanted to do was check the front yard. Does anyone else seem to run into these problems when looking for places to hunt?

Upvote 0
A

ashton9

Hi, I asked the same sort of question a week or two ago. I got some good replies. Look at the post "Has anyone ever challenged City Hall on the issue of Metal Detecting?" in this forum.

Lasivian

May 23, 2003
Spokane, Washington
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Unless there is a law or ordinance against it I don't bother looking into it.

It's public property, so it's legal to do anything not specifically against the local laws.

If the city hall says your not allowed due to liability that's illegal unless they ban everyone from the property. (IE. It's discrimination)

I would say take some of your better finds to city hall and spread the love around, or make a nice donation to a local history museum. A nice display of donated coins found locally with your name on it goes a LONG way towards making friends in high places.

Here in Phoenix I am trying to make friends with the City Archeologist, I figure he's the best possible help I could have.

We can't stay in the shadows.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread