OP
JakePhelps

JakePhelps

Silver Member
Jul 7, 2005
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibola
Its actaully pretty easy to aqquire these, most coin stores have them really cheap, even in uncirculated condition. I have some with all three mintmarks on them :)

Digginman

Silver Member
Mar 12, 2005
Stephens City, Virginia
Detector(s) used
Treasure Ace250 Tesoro Cibola
When my grandad broke his household up, he had 90 rolls of brilliant, uncirculated 1943 pennies, of mixed mint marks.? He asked a dealer what they were worth, the dealer said a nickel each.? He kept them.? One of the family members walked off with them without permission.? Someone wasted alot of stress for something worth so little.

strykerstalker

Nov 29, 2005
makes me wish my ex wouldnt have used the rolls we found in her moms garage a few yrs back! her mom collected every one she could get her hands on cause they were her yr of birth, but not to mention she had a suitcase full of rolls of them.. but now there gone, along with the confederate money and silver certs... errr .. and all i got was a lousy 5$ out of it all...

R

rvbvetter

I guess that's the way it's supposed to go withh EX's.
Years ago, after my first marraige went pffft. I felt like saying; After all those years and all I got was this lousy T shirt. HH

rjnail

Nov 25, 2005
Detector(s) used
Excalibur,
found a few back in the 80's, have not found any in long time,,

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What's hard for me to comprehend is that when I was a kid, Buff nickels and Mercury dimes were common pocket change! Where did the time go? Monty

bk

Bronze Member
Jan 19, 2005
SE Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE pro, Minelab Explorer XS, Garrett Freedom II (3), Garrett pro-pointer.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I found this one in 1981. I don't know why it isn't all rust like the others I have found. Must have been some good soil conditions.

Attachments

• 1981 014.jpg
    1981 014.jpg
    16.8 KB · Views: 1,156
R

rvbvetter

Was it in a stack? I once dug a stack of wheats, and because of it, the inside ones still had some luster from the mint. No steel ones were there though. HH

bk

Bronze Member
Jan 19, 2005
SE Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE pro, Minelab Explorer XS, Garrett Freedom II (3), Garrett pro-pointer.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
rvbvetter said:
? ?Was it in a stack?? ? ?I once dug a stack of wheats, and because of it, the inside ones still had some luster from the mint.? No steel ones were there though.? ? HH

No, not that I recall. I know what you mean though. It must have been in neutral soil. It isn't copper because it is magnetic.

thumper

Nov 25, 2005
clifton forge virginia
Detector(s) used
radioshack discovery 2000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I,ve been MD'ing for about a yr or so......i have found 4 so far..here is a pic

Attachments

• 9.jpg
    9.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 383

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found a few when I first started and haven't found any in a while. Makes me wonder how many I spent on bubble gum for the trading cards while I was a mere child.

lucky1777

Bronze Member
Aug 2, 2005
Illinois
I have found them in rusted and good condition. I think it depends on the soil condition and how long they have been in the ground.

B

brz

I found one just a couple of days ago, the zinc was in bad shape but the date was readable, overall the coin is in bad shape, would be nice to see one in good condition

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found one last year at a local park.It was at the bottom of the slide ,so I think some kid lost it.The park is not old, so I know it wasn't there too long.Other than that ,i've got a few back in my change over the years.

JW

Apr 8, 2005
No. California
Detector(s) used
ML ExII, GPX4000
I found one last month in a hole with 6 other wheats. It is rusted beyond id so since it was with other wheats and the same size.....

Never thought I would find one since I tend to pass up iron...

HH

JW

warthog steve

Mar 23, 2003
Brown City,Michigan
Detector(s) used
Garrett 1350GTA for dry,Fisher 1280X for wet........
8)Yeah-I have found a couple myself-at the beach club I always go to down near Detroit every September-Been in use since the turn of century.... 8)

M

mchamby

I found a steel 1943 wheatie in my last bunch of pennies I rolled for a friend. I didn't realize what it was till I read this thread. It's in pretty good shape, not shiney though.
Mchamby

ranger11

Mar 3, 2013
Fresno,Ca.
Detector(s) used
Gold Mountain, White, Bounty Hunter,(Prospector) and others,including the first one from Radio Shack around 1958
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know this is from 05 but I would like to say yes, I did find one and it was in the same hole with a 1916 dime about 4"under a tree root, and in good condition!

olfacere

Feb 22, 2013
Georgia, US
Detector(s) used
Tesoro MicroMax Silver
Garrett Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
As far as I'm aware, most pennies made in 1943 were steel because of the war effort. They only made a few of the 1943 runs out of copper. The copper ones are worth way more because they are less numerous. As a sidenote, my grandfather, years ago, bought five 1943 steel pennies that were sealed in an "air-tight" container that was apparently not a real oxygen barrier. They corrode like zinc. So, I guess they must be zinc-plated steel?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread