Curious The George

Sep 4, 2008
East Coast
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Metrotech
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have one and find it very useful. Instead of shifting to the pinpoint mode with my detector, I just whip out the Pistol Probe and pin point with it. It will find coin size targets up to 4" deep. This allows me to take a garden trowel and retrieve the target. Makes for much smaller and easily repaired holes.

If I get a good signal with my machine and then can't hit it with the Pistol Probe, I peel back the turf and then probe the target again, most of the time it puts me right on it. This usually is when the item was small and deeper than 4".

I contacted the manufacturer with questions and they were extremely helpful and prompt with responses.

OP
OP
Da Sand Crab

Da Sand Crab

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2009
Far, Far Away
Thanks for your response Mac,
Most of the places I hunt will not tolerate even the smallest plug being dug, so I gotta be as precise as possible. I have a Bullseye and it is junk. You have to practically be touching the target to get a response.
Appreciate your advise.

vondrewvious

Jan 15, 2008
Maine
ringman said:
I hear the praises of this tool and am thinking about purchasing one.

Are there any problems or reasons why I should'nt purchase one.
You will get maximum depth from the pistol probe compared to all others. Except maybe the pocket probe or uniprobe. I think the rubber button tears easily. This seems to be because of how the probe is crammed into the holster. If you look around on some forums, you will see peoples fixes for the button issue. I ended up getting rid of mine and bought the garrett. Although on a round object, 3" is about all you will get, the appeal to me is it's small and works flawlessly with nothing to adjust. I couldn't get over how huge the pistol was.

McKinney_5900

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2010
4-H said:
I am a dealer for Detector pro. Who makes the pistol probe. I have sold a few lately and the responses I have heard are amazing! I had try one myself. I don't use pin pointers. Never have. But the Detector-pro pin pointer has changed my mind.. It pinpoints the target right on the money. Especially in the fields. Makes you recovery time much quicker. There's my honest opinion.They are worth it. Mike

Are you saying that you are a dealer for the pistol probe, the one which is big and bulky and gets 4-6 inches of detection? If so, then I have to argue against your opinion. I got one today in the mail, and it seemingly worked, but became totally ineffective for any operation except for Full Time On mode. The button design of this unit is so poor it hurts, and mine quit working within 5 minutes. The body of this PP is simply put, cheap and flimsy. Sure, it says it's hitting depths of 4-6, but without any real meat to the body and the electronics(button design), this is a really nonsense thing for anyone to think about buying for use of any length of time.

This is a sad example of American manufacturing. Truly trash IMO. Mine is going back to the seller as bast as my Honda will get me to the PO! Mckinney

eagleeye299

Greenie
Jun 29, 2010
Leesburg, FL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign XS-2 Pro, Excalibur
I got one in the mail on Tuesday, put in new batteries and it did not work. Changed the batteries to another new pair and still nothing. When I called to send it back The people at Kellyco told me I could only have it exchanged. I told them that I did not want one any more and would rather have the Garrett Pro-Pointer. I lost confidence in a item that does not work right out of the box. The Kellyco people said that all they would do was exchange it, after a fair amount of arguing on my part I was told I could have a refund if as I claimed the unit did not work. When I sent the PP back in included a letter stating that I would rather exchange it and have the difference refunded to my card, but if they won't do that I would take a refund. I'm not a difficult customer but when I by something through the mail and it doesn't work when I get it I don't think that I should have to accept an exchange and not be able to return the product. That's what I get for not shopping local, my bad.

mrwilburino

May 7, 2010
Northern Ohio
Detector(s) used
Fisher, Teknetics, Minelab, XP
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've had my Pistol Probe for two months. I've gotten it wet, dirty, muddy, and have dropped it on my asphalt driveway on a couple of occasions. I've had no problems with it's operation or construction. Depth is amazing compared to some of the other pinpointers.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
eagleeye299 said:
I got one in the mail on Tuesday, put in new batteries and it did not work. Changed the batteries to another new pair and still nothing. When I called to send it back The people at Kellyco told me I could only have it exchanged. I told them that I did not want one any more and would rather have the Garrett Pro-Pointer. I lost confidence in a item that does not work right out of the box. The Kellyco people said that all they would do was exchange it, after a fair amount of arguing on my part I was told I could have a refund if as I claimed the unit did not work. When I sent the PP back in included a letter stating that I would rather exchange it and have the difference refunded to my card, but if they won't do that I would take a refund. I'm not a difficult customer but when I by something through the mail and it doesn't work when I get it I don't think that I should have to accept an exchange and not be able to return the product. That's what I get for not shopping local, my bad.
So Big Kellyco would not do any thing for you......... There like that.......... Not good to there buyers at times..... On the pistol probe i have heard good about it and bad about it .. but if you can find a used pocket probe they are the best one out there.......... I am looking for one now....pocket probe that is........... As you see below here i have a picture of a .....Detector Pro Pocket Prob.... But i have still have not found a used one to buy..........

Attachments

72 KB · Views: 229
    72 KB · Views: 226
  • pocketuni1.jpg
    pocketuni1.jpg
    188.7 KB · Views: 281

Blind Squirrel

Bronze Member
Apr 15, 2010
NC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 SE, Whites PI Pro, Ace 250, Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
eagleeye299 said:
That's what I get for not shopping local, my bad.
True Dat!!!

wwace

Jan 4, 2006
Anchorage AK
Detector(s) used
Exterra 70, Etrac, AT Pro
I looked at the pistol probe at my dealer and I thought the design and manufacture was just plain crap, granted they may work well but I found it huge and poorly made so I bought the Garret Pro Pointer which is excellent.

lonelyduckhunter

May 5, 2009
Easton, MD
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett GTI2500, Minelab Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had a pistol probe for about a week. It is a good probe but the problem I had was it was to strong it would pinpoint past the intended target sometimes for a deeper target. The second thing I did not like is, it just has the same tone no matter how far you are from the target unlike the garrett propointer which vibrates and get louder as you get closer to the target. In a trashy area like I usually hunt the Garrett Propointer is my preferance. Now if your in a cleaner area the PP would be my preference as long as there is only 1 target in the vicinity of the dug plug.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions