Next on A&E Hoarders - The detector guy who saved everything!

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Next on A&E Hoarders - The detector guy who saved everything!

Ok I'm just kidding. :laughing7: Seeing the show made me wonder if there actually is a detecting hoarder out there that saved pretty much everything whether it be junk or not. To those who have not seen the show don't be quick to laugh at the idea, this psychological problem has some unbelievable extremes.

I think a lot of people have at least a little of this in them, getting attached to things they really shouldn't be that attached to. Must be the thoughts a certain item triggers to make them feel it has value... well I guess that's obvious. When my nephew was younger he showed signs of this and had a hard time throwing things away, believe he was actually diagnosed with mild OCD. That has since passed and at 14 he scored just under Genius level when his doctor tested his IQ (top 1% I think it was) Anyway, that was my coffee drinking thought and post for the day. Maybe I need :help: :D ...and IQ scores like that definitely don't run in the family. ;D

Upvote 0

Da Sand Crab

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2009
Far, Far Away
Re: Next on A&E Hoarders - The detector guy who saved everything!

The key I think is knowing when to give it up or sell it because you can't take it with you. As I get older and fellow collectors pass on, many times their wives or children who have no interest at all end up just dumping their stuff or selling it at the swap meet just to get rid of it. :(

OP
OP
Iron Patch

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

ringman said:
The key I think is knowing when to give it up or sell it because you can't take it with you. As I get older and fellow collectors pass on, many times their wives or children who have no interest at all end up just dumping their stuff or selling it at the swap meet just to get rid of it. :(

Very true. Better to get the most out of it and leave them that, than a pile of stuff they have no idea what to do with... nevermind the guilt of selling your finds.

OP
OP
Iron Patch

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Rando said:
I think it would be more like the 'junk' finds treasure hunter.
i'm not trying to be offensive or insult anyone, heck, I have found a couple of neat things on the roadside.
It's just that, due to sheer size of the articles found via detecting vs. the size of those found at rummage/garage sales and especially trash or dump finds.
The dump/trash finds have the greater potential to get out of control due to size..

Yes, think of junk cars. My post was more about the thought process than having the room to fit it all. Junk taking up space is just a consuquence of the underlying problem of mental issues. (Writing that I typo'ed mental, with metal, but guess it would have fit too) :D

savant365

Silver Member
Mar 28, 2007
Northwest Missouri
Detector(s) used
ACE 250

My mother is 80, lives in an 10 room 2 story house with an attic and there is nowhere to put anything else, litterally! She grew up in the depression and her parents were very poor farmers. Nothing gets thrown away, ever. She might just need it someday and you cannot tell her any different. She moved into this house in 1970 and there are still boxes under her bed that she never unpacked. I dread the day when she passes and we have to go through all of her stuff. I know that sounds a little morbid but it's true. She was raised not to waste anything and I don't think she ever has.

Charlie

Tank69

Silver Member
May 5, 2009
Yuma Az
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Eldorado , Fisher Gold Bug 2 , Whites MXT , Keen Dry Washer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I think a lot of people have at least a little of this in them, getting attached to things they really shouldn't be that attached to.

I agree patch I spent 18 years attached to me ex best thing I ever did was throw her out lol ;D

PBK

Gold Member
May 25, 2005

A very dear friend of mine, now deceased, was a true treasure hunter-hoarder. One of the most brilliant people I've ever known, she was also one of the most energetic, outgoing, and enthusiastic— and the original Packrat Empress! Now and then I used to get letters from her, written on discarded letterheads that she'd scavenged from a military dump over 40 years earlier! Her junk finds were recycled into collages, sculptures, wind chimes, and even pulltab "chain mail." Even though you can buy 2 x 2 coin holders for less than a penny apiece, she stubbornly made her own out of white pasteboard cartons and cigarette pack cellophane! She also had untold thousands of rare and valuable finds that would be the envy of almost anyone on this forum, and her home was literally a museum. Even so, only when she passed away did others realize just how successful a detectorist, and how shrewd an investor, she really was. Under the terms of her will, at least a dozen charities received huge sums of money from her lifetime of happy hunting.

dpitt8

May 2, 2008
wa

PBK said:
A very dear friend of mine, now deceased, was a true treasure hunter-hoarder. One of the most brilliant people I've ever known, she was also one of the most energetic, outgoing, and enthusiastic— and the original Packrat Empress! Now and then I used to get letters from her, written on discarded letterheads that she'd scavenged from a military dump over 40 years earlier! Her junk finds were recycled into collages, sculptures, wind chimes, and even pulltab "chain mail." Even though you can buy 2 x 2 coin holders for less than a penny apiece, she stubbornly made her own out of white pasteboard cartons and cigarette pack cellophane! She also had untold thousands of rare and valuable finds that would be the envy of almost anyone on this forum, and her home was literally a museum. Even so, only when she passed away did others realize just how successful a detectorist, and how shrewd an investor, she really was. Under the terms of her will, at least a dozen charities received huge sums of money from her lifetime of happy hunting.

now thats what i would call a pre-planning packrat :-)

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

PBK said:

What a wonderful and colorful story. Thanks for sharing this, PBK.

This fear--the fear of valuable items being tossed away--will be my excuse to educate my future children about what is there. It is also the reason I label everything. And one day I will label things with values as best I can determine.

Regards,

Buckles

S.S.Tupperware

Jul 18, 2009
Orlando
Detector(s) used
PI Dual/Coinmaster 5500d/DFX/BHID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Savant... I know what ya mean... my mom won't let me get rid of stuff with no value... Who need a record player?

OP
OP
Iron Patch

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

S.S.Tupperware said:
Savant... I know what ya mean... my mom won't let me get rid of stuff with no value... Who need a record player?

Probably the person who is hoarding the records. ;D

savant365

Silver Member
Mar 28, 2007
Northwest Missouri
Detector(s) used
ACE 250

S.S.Tupperware said:

Funny you should mention that, there is a huge old console stereo with a turn table and radio sitting in her garage right now. Most of the guts are gone out of it but she might need that big cabinet someday. As far as the vinyl records go there is a large box of 78's in her attic. I would just about bet she has something close to whatever you all can think of.

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I know a lady who is quite elderly now. When I met her she was in her 50s or so. I went into her house and could not believe what I saw. She was a secret horder and she had "stuff" stacked to the ceiling with a narrow pathway going through it from room to room. She finally had to move from her house because there wasn't room for her any more. She rented an apartment and now it looks like her house inside. Her house is now boarded up and rotting away from neglect but she won't sell it. It's a mental thing with her I suppose. When she dies she is leaving it all to my brother-in-law who says he is giving it to the Salvation Army lock, stock and barrel because he doesn't want to have to fool with it. There might be untold valuable things or money inside but it would take years to go through all that stuff. Just an amusing anecdote. Monty

The Beep Goes On

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2006
Houston, TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030, Excalibur II, V3i, TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

From what I understand, the packrat has a problem concerning every individual item. They "might" need that item at some future point is the way I have had it described to me. If holding onto something causes more problems than it is worth to someone they should have no issue getting rid of it, unless they're a hoarder. I feel for these folks because I can vicariously understand how they feel...luckily I just like a clean house more than they do.

OP
OP
Iron Patch

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

The Beep Goes On said:
From what I understand, the packrat has a problem concerning every individual item. They "might" need that item at some future point is the way I have had it described to me. If holding onto something causes more problems than it is worth to someone they should have no issue getting rid of it, unless they're a hoarder. I feel for these folks because I can vicariously understand how they feel...luckily I just like a clean house more than they do.

Yes, it would be a terrible problem to have. I'm actually the opposite, often looking around and through things to try and scale down. At one point in my early 20s I had next to nothing, only a few pieces of clothing, a clock radio, and a floor to sleep on with a few blankets. That was of course to the extreme, but in general I used to travel through life pretty light and some of that stuck in my brain. I'm content now with where I live, and what I have, but it does cross my mind what a pain it would be to ever have to move all this stuff. I have one small storage area and that's my limit for junk, but even that is getting too full for my liking so at some point I'll have to get rid of some of it. I really do like the fact most detecting finds are nice and small and easy to organize.

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Iron Patch said:
The Beep Goes On said:

Yes, it would be a terrible problem to have. I'm actually the opposite, often looking around and through things to try and scale down. At one point in my early 20s I had next to nothing, only a few pieces of clothing, a clock radio, and a floor to sleep on with a few blankets. That was of course to the extreme, but in general I used to travel through life pretty light and some of that stuck in my brain. I'm content now with where I live, and what I have, but it does cross my mind what a pain it would be to ever have to move all this stuff. I have one small storage area and that's my limit for junk, but even that is getting too full for my liking so at some point I'll have to get rid of some junk. I really do like the fact most detecting finds are nice and small and easy to organize.

Ya gotta sympathize with the bottle diggers. Talk about some shelf space... :-[

OP
OP
Iron Patch

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

BuckleBoy said:
Iron Patch said:
The Beep Goes On said:

Yes, it would be a terrible problem to have. I'm actually the opposite, often looking around and through things to try and scale down. At one point in my early 20s I had next to nothing, only a few pieces of clothing, a clock radio, and a floor to sleep on with a few blankets. That was of course to the extreme, but in general I used to travel through life pretty light and some of that stuck in my brain. I'm content now with where I live, and what I have, but it does cross my mind what a pain it would be to ever have to move all this stuff. I have one small storage area and that's my limit for junk, but even that is getting too full for my liking so at some point I'll have to get rid of some junk. I really do like the fact most detecting finds are nice and small and easy to organize.

That would be one type of treasure hunting that I would much more enjoy the finding than the find. But like anything else, once you start to understand the collecting aspect a little, it would probably grow on ya. As it stands I have very little interest in old bottles.

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Iron Patch said:
BuckleBoy said:
Iron Patch said:
The Beep Goes On said:

That would be one type of treasure hunting that I would much more enjoy the finding than the find. But like anything else, once you start to understand the collecting aspect a little, it would probably grow on ya. As it stands I have very little interest in old bottles.

Glass has started to grow on me. All it took was a glass piece worth enough to buy a new detector with. :wink:

OP
OP
Iron Patch

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

BuckleBoy said:
Iron Patch said:
BuckleBoy said:
Iron Patch said:
The Beep Goes On said:

Glass has started to grow on me. All it took was a glass piece worth enough to buy a new detector with. :wink:

That can do it. It was exactly the same thing for me in 1999 with early military buttons. In fact, tomorrow I'm going to the spot I found my first old coins and military buttons. I believe Nov. 1st makes 10 years since I dug my fist 4 old coppers and was blown anyway. It will be nice to be there tomorrow even if reflection ends up being my highlight of the day.

greydigger

Bronze Member
Mar 28, 2008
Aloha, Orygun
Detector(s) used
wishing stick
Primary Interest:
Other

Well, my Uncle wasn't a detectorist that I know of but he did bottle hunt.
And everything else that could be worth anything.
When he passed, it took us 3 weeks to find his kitchen sink.
The stove and refrigerator were full of stock certificates of many thousands of shares in gold and silver mines.
Hearts were beating pretty fast when these were found.
Long story/short took a year to empty the house he lived in for 82 years.
None of the stocks were any good I was told. So much for my goldmine...
Hauled 18 truckloads of clothes, 12 loads of books and an 8 X 10 room full of toilet paper to give away.

Grey

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread