Best Detector for Newbie trying to locate buried coffee cans containing cash?

B

Bentarrow

Hi,

? ? ? I am thinking about purchasing a "high-end" metal detector for trying to locate coffee cans buried in the 60's that have either cash or silver dollars (or both ?) in them. I am new to this hobby & to get my feet wet I bought a Relco Frontiersman for next to nothing at a pawn shop & found a dime & 6 pennies in my front & back yards. So I'm thinking if a dinosaur like the Relco will at least find a few targets then todays high-end units must be awesome. Or are very rusty coffee cans at 18" - 36" nearly impossible for any detector retailing for less than $2000 to detect?
? ? ? Eventually I would do mostly coinshooting after my search for "coffee-can treasure" is completed. My "treasure hunt for the buried coffee cans will be on 5 city lots in dry clay soil next to an old wooden house & also next to a quonset hut. The property was owned by a mechanic & there are tractors, old cars, junk iron, etc on three of the lots. The mechanic liked to drink a lot - so I suspect bottle caps & can tabs are abundant. I am trying to locate any assets on this property that my girlfriend's deceased Grandmother is alleged to have buried on numerous occasions. I will have to travel to the property & take a few days of vacation to do this treasure hunt, so minimizing false targets is a must.
? ? ? I am "semi-computer-literate" & own a Nikon D70 digital camera, so todays technology doesn't completely intimidate me. So should I consider a Garrett GTI 2500 Pro, Minelab Explorer 2, or other ? Can a $400 - $600 modern detector do what I need?
? ? ? Anyones's suggestions would be most welcome.

Upvote 0

Nicksan

Nov 17, 2005
So. Cal.
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600, Stock and 6" coils
Whites M6 & MXT, Super 12 & 6x8 Detech coils
Miccus Bluetooth headphones & Ratphones
Lesche
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Where are these cans supposedly buried?.............. :D

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ALOT would depend on HOW Rusty they are.

IF they are Pure Rust but Whole, You would Definately need to search in ALL METAL.

However as ZEB said, Most any Detector Should reach them.

I know for a Fact a Sovereign with a WOT Coil will.

and I'd Think any $500.00 Plus detector with a large coil would.

Plus make a Great Coin Detector after.

By the way, The Third Detector I Owned was a Relco Frontiersman.
In My opinion it was JUNK.
Since you Actually Found some Coins with it,
This SHOULD tell you Just How Many Improvements have been Made Since the Late 60's.

warsawdaddy

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2004
Edwards,Missouri
Detector(s) used
MXT - DeLeon - Gamma 6000
In that type of soil,the grandmother must have been pretty stout to dig 36" holes! Like the others have stated,most 500 - 700 machines will reach them.Look at several and pick one that suits you.Don't forget the Nautilus and Tejon also.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As Jef of Pa and Zeb said, about any "good" detector should reach them. If the cans rusted a little it would make the target larger and easier to find. If it were me, I would use a Garrett two box to make sure I got deep for such a large target. It would also skip a lot of junk and you could use the smaller coils for normal coin hunting later. No detector does it all well, some come close......

HH,

Sandman

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For anything deep and large I would go with the Garrett GTI 2500 and the two box attachment. It will run you about a thousand bucks + and will go as deep as you may ever want to go. You might find it with a $500 dollar unit, but again you might not and that's just moeny down the drain. Monty

DigEmAll

Aug 29, 2005
Eastern UP, Michigan
As Monty said, the 2500 will find it, but I would wager a good deal of money that it will find a coffee can at 18 inches with the Power DD or the 12.5 Scorcher, and probably even with the stock 9.5 incher. I would rest assured that if you use the two boxer, you will find anything there to a depth greater than you will be willing to dig! If you use the Scorcher or stock coil, you will also know about how big your target is, as well as type and depth before you start digging.

Good luck, and be sure to let us know how it goes!

;D ;D ;D

Fast_Dave

Mar 21, 2003
Superior, WI
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer, White's 6000, Fisher Aquanaut
Actually, I think the best detector is mine, with me using it. ?Now where did you say you were located? ;D

Seriously, I'd go with a decent detector and a large size coil rather than trying to pick a machine just for this project and have a white elephant on your hands when it's over. ?You'll pay a couple of hundred dollars extra for the coil, but if the cans are there it'll be worth it. ?I know there are some extremely large coils out there for Minelab machines including a 20 x 40 inch monster for $800. ?Just be sure you can afford the cost if the cans aren't there.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions