WHITESS 120 mm BULLSEYE COIN PINPOINTER

pgleba

Oct 4, 2005
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Fisher F4
WHITES'S 120 mm BULLSEYE COIN PINPOINTER

I have the old style "square" pinpointer. I would probe the bottom or sides of a hole and get a signal. Searching like a frantic squirrel I would find nothing. This happened time and again.

One day, by chance, I pressed my finger against the tip of the probe. It sounded off! I was astonished. I squeezed the end of the probe and it sounded again. I had been getting only pressure signals all along.

I also discovered that one has to be within one-half inch of a coin to get a signal without touching.

My attitude toward probing a hole has become one that of a brain surgeon. Also in retrieving a coin. One tiny scratch on a coin can devalue it by thousands of dollars.

Somewhere else on this forum a person stated that he simply uses a screen. This is a stroke of genius!

Garretts sells a plastic sieve used in gold panning. It will screen down to dime size.

Below is a picture of arguably the most beautiful coin ever produced by the United States.

Peter

Attachments

• MCMVII (1907) Roman Numeral, High Relief, Wire Rim. Brilliant Uncirculated.jpg
    MCMVII (1907) Roman Numeral, High Relief, Wire Rim. Brilliant Uncirculated.jpg
    102.3 KB · Views: 236
Upvote 0

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: WHITES'S 120 mm BULLSEYE COIN PINPOINTER

Boy your good with that camera! That plastic sifter screen is ok when you have to dig a hole and have a lot of dirt. It is a good idea to use a plastic cloth under it to either set your plug on and use the probe or to sift the dirt onto. This allows you to replace all the dirt back in the hole and not leave an indication you were there. I know a couple guys that are banded from detecting in a couple parks because of leaving a mess. They got sent bills for reseeding the area and since the bills came from a city, they had to pay or else.......

Sandman

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

pgleba said:
I have the old style "square" pinpointer. I would probe the bottom or sides of a hole and get a signal. Searching like a frantic squirrel I would find nothing. This happened time and again.

One day, by chance, I pressed my finger against the tip of the probe. It sounded off! I was astonished. I squeezed the end of the probe and it sounded again. I had been getting only pressure signals all along.

I also discovered that one has to be within one-half inch of a coin to get a signal without touching.

Peter
I found out the same thing when I purchased mine a couple years ago(same make as yours).Now it just sits in my bag and never really gets used. I don't see what they are really good for.'Cept for pressure signals.I mean how do you use a probe without pressure?BTW-nice coin

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250

ive noticed the same thing on my automax v2. if i back off the sensativity a little bit it will stop doing it.

OP
OP
pgleba

pgleba

Oct 4, 2005
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Fisher F4

Yes. To clarify some points. The Bullseye is essentially an on-off metal detector. It isn't a coin probe. Shown is a picture of the new model Bullseye. I don't have a picture of my old one. It just occurred to me, I wonder if one pressed the bottom of a metal detector coil whether it too would sound off. Will have to try it sometime.

I don't know if the new Bullseye has the same characteristic. It truly is a mystery to ponder.

The point about sifting dirt is well-taken. I use a coin probe and coin popper combination as much as possible. Only in an extreme circumstance will I cut a plug and dig a hole. In cutting the plug I will cut three-fourths of the way around leaving one side as hinge.

I use a black garbage bag as a ground cloth to collect the soil. If the condition of the ground such as well-kept grass prevents this, I will pass on the signal. I will use the coin probe and coin popper because this combination leaves a small slot that can be pressed together so that the disturbance is negligible.

The picture below is one of the new Bullseye.

Peter

Attachments

• bull23.jpg
    bull23.jpg
    6.8 KB · Views: 395

slow sweeper

Jan 7, 2005
Oregon

? ? I've changed my mind about pinpointers. And that's what they are, pinpointers, not probes. They are not built to pry or dig with. ?Before I had one I thought they were useless. Couldn't talk my dealer into just subtracting the price of my Bullseye from the cost of the detector "package"deal. So I got one. Don't need it very often but it's great at locating small items like earrings and charms that you may miss while removing dirt out of a hole. Also if you just miss the target while digging a plug it's great at finding the target in the side of the hole. The light helps to illuminate the bottom of a hole when detecting after dark. My headphones block out noise almost completely so the vibrate mode helps. And if it picked up a target at too much of a distance it would be worthless in a trashy area.
? ? Like I said I don't need it very often but it's helped me a number of times. I don't go out without it anymore.

OP
OP
pgleba

pgleba

Oct 4, 2005
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Fisher F4

This is a better picture of the new Bullseye. My old one doesn't have a sensitivity control. I think I will hang onto my old Bullseye and try it in combination with the sieve. The last chapter is yet to be written.
Peter

Attachments

• bullseye2sm.jpg
    bullseye2sm.jpg
    2.3 KB · Views: 362
OP
OP
pgleba

pgleba

Oct 4, 2005
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Fisher F4

Wouldn't you know it! I just finished all these posts and took out the Bullseye. I pushed and squeezed the end. It won't respond! I can't believe it. It always responded to pressure until I finished all these posts. It Will metal detect. As Rosanadana use to say "Never mind".

Peter ? ?:)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread