trespassing

dirtdigger57

Greenie
Dec 28, 2009
Saw on a post that a fellow knew he was trespassing on property, but knew he would not get caught. Please do not break the law in detecting on property that you do not have permission to be on. Why? One it is Illeagal, and you just might get caught. Also, it could give a bad name to the hobby of detecting. One trespasser with a detector can stereotype the whole bunch. If you trespass to detect, please stay out of my area of Indiana. :icon_thumright:

Upvote 0

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
rjw4law said:
Some people will shoot and ask later.

Ohhhhh!Be careful that was one of the facts I pointed out that brought threatening P.M's,a member by the name of Tapoutking comes to mind :icon_scratch:(The way I roll....you cant tap out :wink:)

ppratt

Jun 19, 2003
South western PA
Detector(s) used
Spectrum XLT
I think trespassing is wrong, but I just came into a location that was so deep in the woods that no one knew it was there. I asked around the town for a good year before I did it to find the owners. Most people had no idea about the house others said theres been people in the past looking for the owners, but know one knows who they are. Well I a day at the house and found all kinds of things. I was very uncomfortable doing it, and will not go back no matter what. I don't care what might be found there. In 23 years I have never trespassed before.

Woodland Detectors

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2008
Toll Free ~ 855~966~3563
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
ppratt said:
I think trespassing is wrong, but I just came into a location that was so deep in the woods that no one knew it was there. I asked around the town for a good year before I did it to find the owners. Most people had no idea about the house others said theres been people in the past looking for the owners, but know one knows who they are. Well I a day at the house and found all kinds of things. I was very uncomfortable doing it, and will not go back no matter what. I don't care what might be found there. In 23 years I have never trespassed before.
Yeah!
That whole looking over you shoulder thing kind of ruins the ambiance. ...Doesn't it?

SkyPirate

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2009
Raleigh North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Muddyhandz said:
I have missed the posts that you speak of where hunters are openly admitting they are trespassing and getting away with it. This is obviously a problem. Maybe links should be posted here exposing these individuals. What else can be done? If they are getting away with it, then call them out. I would like to see how they defend themselves in the eyes of the treasure hunting community.
Hang them out to dry. They need to held accountable. I know nobody likes to name names but if they are ruining our hobby, then let's do it.
What say you?
Dave.

Let's round up some men with pitch forks and torches!!! >:(

mrs.oroblanco

Silver Member
Jan 2, 2008
Black Hills of South Dakota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo & Garrett Stinger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't mean to sound rude, its not meant to be - this is said as a REAL recommendation.

If you looked for the owners for that long, and did not find them - you need to learn a lot more about finding the owners of a property. It is quite a simple process.

And, since you knew you couldn't - or hadn't been able to ask permission - you shouldn't have gone there anyway.

This way - you can enjoy your metal detecting experiences!

B

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido II and DeLeon. also a Detector Pro Headhunter Diver, and a Garrett BFO called The Hunter & a Garrett Ace 250.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
mrs.oroblanco said:
I don't mean to sound rude, its not meant to be - this is said as a REAL recommendation.

If you looked for the owners for that long, and did not find them - you need to learn a lot more about finding the owners of a property. It is quite a simple process.

And, since you knew you couldn't - or hadn't been able to ask permission - you shouldn't have gone there anyway.

This way - you can enjoy your metal detecting experiences!

B

Thaaaaaats right. The one source to check are the county tax rolls. You can bet THEY know who owns all properties in their area of responsibility. All land in every state is represented on maps with "meets and bounds" that can be referenced to in the written records. If the tax folks don't get their pound of flesh, the property goes onto the auction block and is sold at sheriff's sales to people who can be dunned for the taxes. End point is, anyone can find out the current owner(s) of any property in the United States. PERIOD. You've just got to look.

mrs.oroblanco

Silver Member
Jan 2, 2008
Black Hills of South Dakota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo & Garrett Stinger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You also have to know where to look. Whoever takes care of the taxes, ultimately (like the treasurer), will have a complete list of every single parcel of property. The courthouse also has maps of every single piece of property. You find out the area you are looking for, get that county or parish, of course, find it on the map, it will have a number, the treasurer will type it on the computer, and up comes a name. They pull the card on the property, and there, for your viewing pleasure, is the current owners name AND current address (even if they live out of state, they will have that address - that's where they send the tax bill to).

In fact - some places even have them online, now. And, many - the majority, probably, have a few computers right at the treasurer or recorders office where you can look it up yourself - they even have pictures of the parcels.

This is all public information - you do not have to pay for it, and you are allowed to look for as many as you please.

B

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Again I state these facts. I lease over and manage 4000 acres . Sick and tired of trespassers sneaking in and digging up fields poaching and cutting fences. Idiots with very bad research. Have pretty much got it under control.

"My No Trespassing sign."

IF I FIND YOU HERE TODAY.
YOU WILL BE FOUND HERE TOMORROW.
HAVE A GREAT DAY : )

sorry if i sound upset i am actually very calm and steady :icon_sunny:
Have a great day.
TnMtns
TnMtns

fmerg

Nov 1, 2008
kingston ny
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
minelab quattro, explorer se pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
as new members to this hobby we were lucky to find a member who was willing to impart some of his knowledge
to us
after hunting with him we meet another member of t-net this member was also kind enough to talk with us for a bit
and through him we found out that a lot of the spots we were taking to he never had permission to hunt
at one field we got caught by the farmer not sure why the farmer did not tell us to leave that day but that night we recived an e-mail from howard telling us we could not go back to the field because we did not cover our holes
the truth came out just a few weeks ago the farmer told him we could finish out the day but the next time he would have us arrested
well anyway this gave us a heads up and we started to understand what he called a night hunt was going to areas he could not get permission to hunt
this same member would also buy our silver and gold from us at what we thought was a good price
well one day we weight a 14k gold chain at 15.1 grams
when we went to sell it to him he told us it was 10.2 grams
when question he stated that there was a difference between troy grams and regular grams
we have since parted our ways from him and now have permission for all our areas except the one field that we know he did not have permission to hunt
can we get permission maybe but the other t-net member who gave us the heads up mentioned that it was the only field he had to hunt so we are not even gonna ask
dave if you read this post contact me i have asked to bring you and your dad to one of the field we hunt this spring

rmptr

Silver Member
Dec 25, 2007
Tierra del Fuego
Detector(s) used
Tesoro.Fisher.Garrett
Well, there IS a difference between troy and avoirdupois measurement...

Troy is just about 31grams to the ounce and avoirdupois is 28 to the ounce.
The troy system is used for gold, silver, and precious gems... Avoirdupois for potatos and such.

Actually, 24 grains in a pennyweight, 20 pennyweights in an ounce, and 12 troy ounces in a troy pound.

Gosh, pls don't take my words for the facts... read up on them well before selling your gold !
Get your own scale, too.

Best
rmptr

fmerg

Nov 1, 2008
kingston ny
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
minelab quattro, explorer se pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
rmptr said:
Well, there IS a difference between troy and avoirdupois measurement...

Troy is just about 31grams to the ounce and avoirdupois is 28 to the ounce.
The troy system is used for gold, silver, and precious gems... Avoirdupois for potatos and such.

Actually, 24 grains in a pennyweight, 20 pennyweights in an ounce, and 12 troy ounces in a troy pound.

Gosh, pls don't take my words for the facts... read up on them well before selling your gold !
Get your own scale, too.

Best
rmptr
yes this i understand
but a gram is a gram
we weighted the chain at 15.1 grams he claimed that it was only 10.2 troy grams

rmptr

Silver Member
Dec 25, 2007
Tierra del Fuego
Detector(s) used
Tesoro.Fisher.Garrett
Ha !

Perhaps there is a bit of scullduggery afoot, FM.

I think that's unfortunately pretty much the rule in the buying end of the game... almost.

I once took in flour gold from my mining claim, to a jeweler... the guy brought out a 6" marble tile set in a wooden rimmed holder, from under the counter to use for an acid test so he could do a quick assay and appraisal on it. He used a small spoon to dip a bit of the gold from my vial and tossed it from 8 or ten inches onto the marble before he dripped a bit of acid on it. Gold bounced everywhere! Ticked me off.

I told him our area was rather pure... and it tested well... then he offered me a really low price, which I declined.
He then took a bit of cardstock and swept it up over the edge onto another biz card, and dumped it back in my vial. ...Wasn't too cautious about it, and the edge of the tile against the wood caught a tad of the flour gold, also... Not a clue how many times a day, or week he did that, but I'm sure he made some profit off what he gathered, just a little bit at a time, over a year.
Some things are just the way they are.

Best
rmptr

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions