Landfill in Eastern Long island Closed since 1940s

JohnnyThunders

May 10, 2005
There a small landfill that closed a few blocks from my brother house in Eastern Long island since the 40s or mid 50s....
Would hate to go there during the Summer because there are tons of Ticks...
So I guess I will have to hunt in the Fall or early Spring Only?
Just wondering what you good folks think of detecting in a Small Very Old Landfill with a Whites DFX????
Lots of Useless Junk??? or maybe some good Junk??? JT

Upvote 0

The Beep Goes On

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2006
Houston, TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030, Excalibur II, V3i, TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi JT,

I would probably try to research it first to see if there was any indication of what type of landfill it was...mainly residential stuff or general use with some industrial fill (truthfully, I don't always research, but it can help in a big way). Either way, I'd go in with no discrimination and see how trashy it is, then, depending on how bad it is, increase the dicrimination until you get some good indications. It is is old enough, some of the "bad" targets might be interesting too. I'd dig some of them initially to see what you were dealing with. If there is a lot of iron, sometimes a smaller coil can help hunt inbetween the iron and you can find some good stuff.

I don't know if you'll find anything worthwhile, but if you've ever worked in, or been around a present day dump or landfill, you'll see that people throw away some interesting things sometimes.

Let us know how it works out. HH!

OP
OP
J

JohnnyThunders

May 10, 2005
Ohhhh I will let yea all know,Thats what this sites all about..
I heard it was a Landfill that people dumped their garbage and closed in the 40s or early 50s...
Thought maybe whatever I find will be better then modern trash dumps lol...jt

DANNYGEE

Oct 27, 2005
GREENLAWN, NY (LONG ISLAND)
Detector(s) used
2-6000 di pros
HEY JOHNNY

WHERE IS THAT LANDFILL?
I'M OUT ON THE ISLAND AND DON'T KNOW OF THAT ONE.
IF YOU WANT SOME COMPANY DROP ME AN EMAIL.
IT COULD BE PRODUCTIVE.

DANNYGEE

OP
OP
J

JohnnyThunders

May 10, 2005
Its a landfill next to the east hamptons area......Thats all I can say lol...Since they closed it down i will be checking it out when it gets a tad warmer..Thanks anyway and will let yea all know what i have found if anything.....JT

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread