Nebraska, USA
Upvote 0

Jeffro

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2005
Eugene, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5, White's GM VSat
The best detector you can buy, is one that you will use. The worst detector is the one that sits in the closet.

Other than that, it's a matter of preference, and you will probably hear that every detector manufacturer out there makes the best, depending on how many people you ask.

This doesn't sound like much help, but it really is. there is no "one best" detector. Only people's personal preferences.

The options you listed, I think just about every detector manufacturer has incorporated into one of their designs.

So, check out all the different manufacturers, with the options you know you already want, or save time and go with the top manufacturers. (Garrett, Fisher, Minelab, Tesoro, Bounty Hunter, etc.)

Then find a shop that carries several of these brands, and go out and try them all before you buy. Whichever one you "click" with...... well there ya go! If it's a decent shop, the salesman will have no problem with showing you the ins and outs of each machine.

dano91

Apr 3, 2005
colorado
The old garage sale 60's detectors find coins all the time [VR] When you get tired of looking for coins then its time to step up to the big rigs. You will find that what you are looking for and where you are looking for it will describe to you what kind of machine to use, as you learn how to hunt. So don't just go by the adds you see for MD's go by what you are looking for and where you are.
Just keep reading and learning, you will find tons of stuff even with the wrong detector.\
Dano.

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For sheer coin shooting it has to be the ACE 250. There are thousands of them in use and I'll bet most are coin shooters. Monty

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
I don't need to repeat everything already posted but I do have to strongly agree with buying a top model machine from one of the major manufacturers.

Most of us on here have our own preferences. But then, few of us have had the privilege of using every machine model made today. And, even if one did have this opportunity it would mean nothing unless one were to study each machine in actual use for a year or two.

So, I'd suggest reading my post titled "Read This BEFORE You Buy."? That's a starting point.

But, from reading your post I have a feeling you already are thinking about a certain brand and model(s). Just keep reading and ask specific questions and in a month or two you should have everything narrowed down.

HH

littlehugger

Nov 23, 2005
If it is anything like my wifeys, the Ace 250 is a great coin shooter. However, I am not sure its available with a DD coil.
However, the Garrett GTAx series is. And it meets all your other requirements too.
We picked a GTAx 1250 up for wifey years ago, and I had not used it a lot until recently. Its a terrific coin shooter, and there is a very nice new DD coil available for it from Garrett.
There is a whole series of GTA's, but its probably best to start at the top. It seems the great majority of detectorists who decide to stay with the hobby, want to trade up quickly. More cost effective to just start with a higher grade machine.
I do not know how experienced you are, but Garretts are known for ease of use.
Hugger

dano91

Apr 3, 2005
colorado
I use the hell out of my Ace 250, I wish the discrimination worked a little different thou.
The Tessoro Cibola is a great unit for lots of different situations and at $340 on ebay not a bad price.
It's even lighter than the ace 250

Willy

I'd say to check out the GTP 1350 or GTI 2500. They meet your requirements & then some. Whites QXT is another underappreciated but very capable detector. You could also look at the new XTerras. I can only speak, from experience, for the Garretts & QXT, given your parameters. Generally, talking to 100 detectorists about the best detector is apt to net you 100 different opinions. There's not really all that much difference in todays VLF detectors (with the exception of the GTI's) , and it generally comes down to features & implementation. Some will excel in certain locations and be dogs in others.. leading to many arguements 'cause some people refuse to believe that their super duper detector might not actually be God's gift to detectorists. Probably one of the best things to do is find people who hunt in your area and find out what works and what doesn't. ..Willy.

OP
OP
newtocoinhunting

newtocoinhunting

Jan 16, 2006
Nebraska, USA
Thanks to all for your suggestions. And, it is the variety of opinions that I was looking for. I do have some ideas of what brands/models I will look more closely at.

Z

ZumbroKid

bobm31 said:
What does a "DD" coil do?
A DD coil works around trash much nicer than a round coil. If you know someone with one have them show you, you might be interested in it. I love mine.

slow sweeper

Jan 7, 2005
Oregon
A DD coil is also less affected by higher mineralized soil.
If you're in an area where prospecting is an option check out Whites MXT.

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
I didn't want to "push" my brand but I just couldn't resist since others are doing it? ;D

Consider what is probably the two most unrated detectors in the U.S. (not the UK) today.

The Tesoro DeLeon or Cortes (some include all models of Tesoros).

In the UK the DeLeon is labeled the "Hawkeye."

Most people who have really used detectors for the really deep targets know that the Garrett GTI2500 is probably the all-round best detector in the world for coin shooting on land.

I personally don't own the GTI2500. The only Garrett I've ever owned was the 150 and I got it free with my new Minelab. I sold the 150 since it came free. Truth is, I probably should have kept the 150 and sold the Minelab? ;D?

According to what I'm reading online, the machines that come closest to the Garrett GTI are the DeLeon and Cortes.

Now, I've only used the DeLeon so I'm mainly taking the word of UK dealers (they're the ones I contact when I really want to know about a machine).

Now, I may not be right but I'm sure glad I bought the DeLeon? :) It's one awesome machine for one heck of a low price.

Just my -2 cents.

http://www.garysdetecting.co.uk/nexus1.htm

michinkae

Nov 22, 2004
New York
Detector(s) used
whites DFX and XLT
Whites just came out with a new detector specifically for coins hunting with all the power of a DFX. The M6 is affordable and will find coins in no time flat. I have a friend who has tried one out and thinks that for basic coin hunting you can't go wrong.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread