LOOKING FOR ADVICE

dano91

Apr 3, 2005
colorado
I can only tell you what I have heard from some pro's. Some say nugget detectors are crap!! some say they are the best thing since sliced bread. I would stay with a Fisher cz-20 for that kind of work, because I have seen it work. and get results.
Dano.
Some people will say the cz-20 was made for underwater, but I believe it was made to be the best unit out there for a reason.
and that it is overrated, but I guess you have to just pick a machine and learn it. and learn it well it will payoff.

Jeffro

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2005
Eugene, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5, White's GM VSat
I did some nuggetshotting while I was down there, in Eldorado canyon, out by Nelson. 'bout drove my Goldmaster nuts! Lots of hot rocks and constantly changing , highly mineralized soil down there. I was a newbie at the time, so that may have played a big part, not knowing the detector well.... I have heard the Minelabs do well in this type of environment, as they were made by Australians just for that highly mineralized desert ground. I have no experience with one, however.

If you are going out that way, keep in mind that several people die each year out there, unnecessarily. read up on desert survival and carry plenty of water, and a good snakebite kit. It could save your life someday!

dano91

Apr 3, 2005
colorado
See there you go some usefull information! Stick with a multi frequency unit to over come minerals, and NO snake bite kits are a Pox on the earth, They dont work and usually make the bite worse, snake venom is so viscus [thin] that there is no way to draw it out you just damage the tissue more by trying, you have about 4 hrs at least to get to medical attention before death, and most of the big snakes are DRY [ no venom at all]
I know this, would any one like to see a picture of my leg?

Jeffro

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2005
Eugene, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5, White's GM VSat
I have heard that before too, that snakebite kits are worthless, and sometimes do more harm than good. Especially if you don't read the instructions before it is time to use it! In this particular area, it is Green Mojave country. I don't know for sure, but they are supposedly one of the more venomous snakes in North America. Dropped Don Laughlins million dollar prize bull like it was a sack of grain.(How's that for an investment?, LOL!)

So I figured it might be worthwhile to carry one, seeing as how the nearest hospital is a couple hours away. thats just my preference.

Anyways, snakes are generally more scared of you than you are of them, but the occasional bite does happen.

Dano...have you ever heard of someone treating a snakebite with a zapper? You know, those personal protection devices that stun your attacker with an electric shock? I have heard that an electrical current renders the venom impotent, but that could be a "new" old wives tale?

check out the goats on the cliffs down there, too! Them suckers truck up and down sheer cliffs like an Ice skater on ice.... really amazing!

Willy

Depends on what you want to do and how much you want to pay. If you're looking for a VLF detector that's very sensitive to small gold (and large) but is also good for reil/coin hunting, the Whites MXT is probably the best bet at present (I've used it for all 3). The Tesoro Lobo Supertraq would probably come in second. For a gold only VLF detector, I'd recommend the Whites GMT, the Minelab Eureka Gold, and the Fisher Goldstrike. If you're looking to get a PI detector, I'd hold off a few months 'cause there's going to be at least one revolutionary PI being released. If you can't wait, one of the cheapest routes is the Garrett Infinium. More expensive would be the Minelab PI's and the Goldscan V. The CZ 20 would not be my first choice for prospecting, though it can be used. The multifrequency detectors (Minelab, Fisher, Whites) also struggle in heavy mineralized areas and will have problems with hotrocks too. ....Willy.

U.K. Brian

Bronze Member
Oct 11, 2005
Detector(s) used
XLT, Whites D.F., Treasure Baron, Deepstar, Goldquest, Beachscan, T.D.I., Sovereign, 2x Nautilus, various Arado's, Ixcus Diver, Altek Quadtone, T2, Beach Hunter I.D, GS 5 pulse, Searchman 2 ,V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I go along with Willy . One machine I would not consider is the CZ20. Rather lacking in sensitivity to small gold, locked in salt mode and you would need to cut of the coil and try and find some waterproof connectors. An old CZ would do a better job cheaper with less trouble.
Willy, I think the the machine you mentioned is just about to hit the dealers, so weeks not months. Its been a long wait.

neilo

Aug 23, 2005
Nugget hunting what sort of ground are you detecting and how much money do you want to spend.The minelab SD and Gp range of detectors are the ulimate but they will cost you lot of money.Failing them you can try the Infinium after that you will be looking at high frequency Vlf machines.Fisher gold bug is excellent for tiny nuggets as also is the minelab eureka gold or whites gmt but they lack depth and are more prone to interference from mineralised ground. The minelab eureka has three frequencies 60 , 20 and 6.4 klhz which can be an advantage in mineralised soil using the two lower frequencies. Even if you spend a lot of money on the bigger machines you will still have a problem of coil selections to suit the ground conditions. I definitely agree with the other replies the CZ20 is not the way to go. Find out what machines are being used in the area you want detect, go to a detector club in your area see what people are using., dont be in a hurry you might regret it.
good luck seeya Neilo ;D

littlehugger

Nov 23, 2005
Jumper cables to localize the venom?
I had never heard about the electrical thing, but I think I would stick to one of those stun guns. Even then, be very sure this is real, and not an urban legend.
Used several times in succession, stun guns can cause neurological damage. I can only imagine that using jumper cables would be a spectacular way of committing suicide.
I had a friend who worked in a garage, and one of his co-workers electrocuted himself by making a mistake while using an electric welder. His death was gruesome, and not quick. And he was not unaware of his situation.
This guy was a trained and experienced welder, who made a simple mistake. How much easier to make a mistake when you are in a panic situation.
Years ago I was playing baseball and took a fastball in the throat. I collapsed and couldnt breathe. My friends and family came running up, including my older brother. He looked like he was about to give me mouth to mouth, and I gotta tell ya, it scared me to death!
In a blind panic, I forced myself to breathe and croaked out" Get away from me maggot"
I was sorry for what I said later, but I was scared!
If I got bit by a snake and someone rushed at me with jumper cables, I would run for my life! LOL
Hugger

dano91

Apr 3, 2005
colorado
I got the info from an article I read about 15 yrs ago, they also said jumper cables were used to jump start someones heart once.
I've been bitten by Diamond back rattlers 3 times when I was a kid { we used to catch them for money $2 a lb] The first bite was pretty serious [ age 7 ] the other 2 were dry bites. My doctor explained that the venom is absorbed into the flesh so fast theres no way to get it out.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions