Help , Ive never even SEEN one .

paratrooper

Sep 20, 2004
Kingman AZ
Help , I've never even SEEN one .

For those of you that go on more than one forum you will see this same question several times .My buddies wife surprised him at Christmas with a Minelab Xterra 505 . He has asked me to help him get familiar with it . I have a few days so I will post a question and hopefully get a bunch of info before we try it out . I recommended we test it out in his backyard first . Here is my plan . I’ll bring my Tesoro LST for comparison . We’ll try to get the right spot for his and then try mine with a similar size and deep target . If his signal at least matches mine he can only go up from there . If my signal is strong and his is weak or non-existant then we got some “tweaking” to do . Any suggestions on a starting point on his ????

Upvote 0

Woodland Detectors

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2008
Toll Free ~ 855~966~3563
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Re: Help , I've never even SEEN one .

Sounds like you guys are already making it too complicated.

Just get out and dig signals. Let him work it out.
He will soon learn what tones to dig and what tones not to dig.
Don't start unfriendly competition too early in your relationship by seeing who's beeper goes deeper.

man, that just doesn't sound right. :D

OP
OP
paratrooper

paratrooper

Sep 20, 2004
Kingman AZ

What I'm looking to do is find a setting for his machine that is the best before we go out into the desert . If I get a signal and he does not then we need to look at it deeper . He has NEVER used a MD and I have never used one with all the stuff his seems to have . I have a LST and a Minelab 2200 . Neither units are like his . This is not a contest . We are using my machine as a standard .

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

4-H said:

Don't start unfriendly competition too early in your relationship by seeing who's beeper goes deeper.

Since these detectors are like night and day, you couldn't really compare the results you get with either of them. Some detectors will shine in some ground while others might give a different results. It is best to just use the 505 and dig everything since you are going to be checking results in the desert.

Woodland Detectors

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2008
Toll Free ~ 855~966~3563
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Sandman said:
4-H said:

Since these detectors are like night and day, you couldn't really compare the results you get with either of them. Some detectors will shine in some ground while others might give a different results. It is best to just use the 505 and dig everything since you are going to be checking results in the desert.
BAM!

OP
OP
paratrooper

paratrooper

Sep 20, 2004
Kingman AZ

It's not complicated . His backyard is a controlled enviorment . The desert is mostly still underwater . We had about 3 inches of rain in as many days . I have posted this question on other boards . Suprisingly all the other boards gave me settings to start with . All I've gotten here is used oats from people that cannot understand written English .

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions