Rev. camp site questions

fathead

Dec 19, 2009
Conowingo, MD
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter 505
I have found some information on a Revolutionary War campsite. It is on privately owned land right next to a two lane highway. The closest creek is down slope, across the highway, and through a corn/soy field in a wooded area. I don't want to stir up a lot of local interest. My question is: Should I startat the creek and work up to the supposed camp, or start by the road and work down? This is assuming I can get permission. Thanks for any advice. I am new to this.

Upvote 0

Woodland Detectors

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2008
Toll Free ~ 855~966~3563
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Yeah Get permission first.

Treasure is where you find it. Just start where you think the camp was and work it until you get signals. Your going to stir up local curiosity regardless. People think it's strange that grown men pace around fields and forest's with "Geiger counter machines."

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just think about it for a second.

If you start by the road and it's there, that's where you will be staying to dig. If it's not there, you'll know after a short time and be out of sight if you do eventually find it by the creek. So either way there's no reason to not start where you think it is, and if anything it will save you some hunting time.

marinedad

Bronze Member
Dec 14, 2009
pisgah forest, n.c.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
minelab e-trac and equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i would start at lower elevation and work uphill just to avoid curious buisybodies as long as i could. of course after granted permission. but i'm still new to this hobby.

Curious The George

Sep 4, 2008
East Coast
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Metrotech
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My thinking would be that if you start in the area that you are visible then end up finding something in a more remote spot, you have given a lot of people a clue. If you start in the more remote and less visible areas and hit pay dirt then you got it all to yourself for a while.

If you end up working your way into the visible area before you hit something then so be it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread