What would you use in a trashy park....

LuckyDragon

Apr 6, 2004
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
I remenber 1 metal detecorist came in small pick up truck with a rake and dustpan
and rake up areas of foils and pull tabs and bottle caps.
than he went over the area with his metal detector
and found burried a couple barber dimes and wheaties and some buffilo nickels
of course he dump the trash in park trash cans.

RPG

Bronze Member
Jan 10, 2009
Alabama
Detector(s) used
Silver Umax, Compadre, Vaquero
All metal and a lot of Bengay. ::)

Maybe a loritab or two. :D

Waynos

May 28, 2015
Keene New Hampshire
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Garrett AT Propointer
Lesche Sampson T shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm not familiar with the F70
But with my AT Pro the small 5x8 DD coil finds stuff in heavy trashy areas that the stock 8.5x11 misses.
So in my opinion a small DD coil is a must have in trashy areas

telecaster

Greenie
Jul 27, 2015
Lebanon Missouri
Detector(s) used
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
Other
First time I've seen anyone say the DD has more than one sweet spot. I'm not disagreeing,,,just wondering since you say they have two spots....WHERE ARE THEY ON THE COIL. I have a new AT Pro ...with a 8 1/2 by 11 DD coil...and its driving me crazy trying to learn how
to pin point with it. I'm thinking now maybe its because as you say it doesn't have just one sweet spot. HELP....tks Bill

TheCaribbeanDigger

Aug 15, 2013
Puerto Rico
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Fisher F75, Garrett AT Pro, Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use my ATP with a Nel Snake Coil! It's a killer combination.

Skippy SH13

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2015
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I only have those two at the moment and was looking for the best of the two under the circumstances. Need to find more treasure to fund the purchase of more treasure finding equipment! :wink:

If you have both accessible, might I recommend you take both coils with you, and search the same area with each before digging? You'll find out mighty quickly, this way, if your experience in the trash zone helps you feel whats under the ground better with one or the other.

Personally, I run a DD coil, as I love the "blade effect" of being able to separate two targets. Unfortunately, if the trash density is too high, you'll catch other stuff no matter which way you turn... in the end, trashy is trash though, and without a sniper coil, the two size you mention are going to be close, but I believe the DD will be better.

Cheers,

-Jerry

Waynos

May 28, 2015
Keene New Hampshire
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Garrett AT Propointer
Lesche Sampson T shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First time I've seen anyone say the DD has more than one sweet spot. I'm not disagreeing,,,just wondering since you say they have two spots....WHERE ARE THEY ON THE COIL. I have a new AT Pro ...with a 8 1/2 by 11 DD coil...and its driving me crazy trying to learn how
to pin point with it. I'm thinking now maybe its because as you say it doesn't have just one sweet spot. HELP....tks Bill

The 8.5x11 DD coil was frustrating for me to pinpoint..I always dug in the wrong spot and wasted a lot of time recovering the target.
I eventually started pulling the coil back slowly until the sound stopped and it was right at the tip of the coil.

Since I got the 5x8 DD it is so much easier to know where the target is that I never use the machines pinpoint feature cause the area is so much smaller.
Not to mention I hear multiple targets whereas the stock coil has difficulty telling how many close targets are under it.
Hope it helps some

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread