Wilderness miners family cabin site pics

silverswede

Dec 12, 2005
Pinehurst. Idaho
Detector(s) used
Minelab SOVEREIGN XS-2a PRO
Had a nice spring day up here in the mountains so put all my money in the gas tank and took a hike back in to where I had seen the remains of an old cabin during elk hunting trip years ago. I mostly look for old relics at these sites as very seldom is there any coins. The era when this was probably inhabited was the early 20' & 30's. From the pictures you'll see evidence that a family lived here by the sole of a ladies' shoe, mans tools etc. but there was no sign of any out buildings, horses, automotive, or the usual old cartridges. There had been sluice mining in a stream about 40' from and below the cabin. I sure enjoyed the day of solitude and anticipation of the hunt. The items I uncovered this time were re-buried and digging signs restored to natural. As you can see on one photo that a creek crossing on my way back out was quite strenous for a near 70 old dude. I did see a cow and calf moose and got a few morels for the effort also.
Silverswede:

Attachments

• doorway miners cabin 1.jpg
    doorway miners cabin 1.jpg
    164.3 KB · Views: 279
  • corner of cabin 2.jpg
    corner of cabin 2.jpg
    160.7 KB · Views: 279
  • cabin floor 3.jpg
    cabin floor 3.jpg
    228.5 KB · Views: 278
  • mirror dug 4.jpg
    mirror dug 4.jpg
    206.3 KB · Views: 277
  • evidence of family living.jpg
    evidence of family living.jpg
    211.3 KB · Views: 285
  • ladies shoe sole.jpg
    ladies shoe sole.jpg
    211 KB · Views: 279
  • find a log to cross on 6.jpg
    find a log to cross on 6.jpg
    189.1 KB · Views: 272
Upvote 0

lastleg

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2008
Nice trip swede, pushing hard on it too. That's my type of detecting except
I keep a little.

lumbercamp

Jun 22, 2006
I like your last picture. City folk don't know what they are missing by digging tot lots and school yards. I've done my share of climbing over blown downs. Ya gotta love this hobby.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions