What am I missing?

K

Kentucky Kache

If you have to ask why, I guess it can't be explained. It's something old, and long lost. And YOU found it.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
uh because our money no longer has silver in it -- the fiscal differance of finding 1 silver dime is like finding 5 to 6 clad quarters at once --often clad quarters are normally one at a time finds normally --plus dude its SILVER -- precious metal --and where one finds one silver coin often it means theres more of em to be found -- coins often tell you when a "spot" was in use -- a silver dime tells you it was in use by people during the silver coinage days *

mts

Bronze Member
May 18, 2009
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex+, Nokta Pulsedive, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Silver µMax, BH Tracker IV, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For most of us, this hobby is not about making money. That's why people will spend thousands of dollars on machines and then be happy to find an indian head penny worth about $1. Even gold coins aren't worth what most people think they are worth. I can buy a $5 half eagle coin for a little over $300. But if I actually FOUND one it would be priceless to me. And many gold rings are so small and such low carat that they are only worth about $50 when melted down.

By the way, that silver dime wasn't always worth $1.25. It was originally worth 10 cents. And ten years from now it will probably be worth $2.50. Yet those 5 clad quarters you found will always be worth $1.25 for your entire lifetime. Silver has a special allure to it. You don't get it in your everyday change. You either have to buy it at a premium or find it. It is a "precious metal". And those old silver coins aren't made anymore. That makes them extra special. Finding an antique coin is the very definition of finding a "treasure". Even if that treasure isn't actually worth that much.

It's the thrill of the hunt. I'd rather find one silver coin worth $1.25 than $5 worth of clad.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
you get it MTS -- its SILVER -- I too would rather find a silver dime ($1.25) over $5 in clad

with silver at $18 + they are melt down more and more of silver coins every day --making the ones left rarer and rarer

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
well actually with a silver dime being $1.50 -- clad quarters are a DIME A HALF DOZEN (6 clad quarters = $1.50) ;D

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For me it was obviously all about the challenge in the beginning because I never figured I'd find anything of real value. So the first while a silver coin, or 100 year old copper coin was success, because it was what I was looking and hoping for. But as time went on and I realized what was possible, my goals started to change and all of a sudden what was a good find my first year really didn't mean that much anymore. Now had it never got any better, and for many depending on the history of their area it doesn't, it's quite likely it would keep you in the same frame of mind as early on that a worn low value silver coin is a worthy find. For me it's all about finding those 2 or 3 finds I really like per year and not the hundreds of more common items I dig in the process. The common ones are simply my amusement on the way to something good! :thumbsup:

mts

Bronze Member
May 18, 2009
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex+, Nokta Pulsedive, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Silver µMax, BH Tracker IV, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well actually, according to coinflation.com the melt value of a clad quarter is only 5 cents. The melt value of a silver dime is $1.33. So technically that silver dime is worth 26 quarters (or 66 clad dimes) after you melt them down. ;D

If you want to understand the value of silver vs. copper/nickel, take 66 clad dimes and stack them up. Then place a single silver dime next to them and notice the difference in volume/weight. This shows you the dramatic difference in value between the metals these coins are made of. Of course, you can do the same thing with silver and gold. Stack up 87 silver dimes next to a single 1/10 oz. gold eagle coin (slightly smaller than a dime). That's why I buy silver instead of gold! I can own a whole shoebox full of silver for the price of one single ounce of gold. :icon_pirat:

treasurehound

Bronze Member
Jan 23, 2008
Morristown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX 4500,
Minelab Equinox 800,
Garrett AT GOLD with NEL coil,
Garrett Sea Hunter
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I get excited about everything I find especially silver. You can go anywhere and find clad but silver has not been minted since 1964 and it is a treasure to find one. I hunt for the hobby and pleasure it gives me and not the dollar amount that I find. And I too would rather find one silver dime or quarter than 20 or 30 clad coins.

OP
OP
R

ryclo

Apr 19, 2010
I get the idea of finding an older 1890 or 1910 coin that you can really dream about who last held it, but a 1962 dime is not exactly old and realistically could be found in a park that was built 10 years ago (and millions were made). I do think it would be cool to find one, but it seems like it gets overblown when they are found. As for the value, couldn't you simply take the $1.50 in clad and go to a pawn shop and buy a silver dime with it?

mts

Bronze Member
May 18, 2009
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ryclo said:
I get the idea of finding an older 1890 or 1910 coin that you can really dream about who last held it, but a 1962 dime is not exactly old and realistically could be found in a park that was built 10 years ago (and millions were made). I do think it would be cool to find one, but it seems like it gets overblown when they are found. As for the value, couldn't you simply take the $1.50 in clad and go to a pawn shop and buy a silver dime with it?

Sure you could. And you could go to the same pawn shop and buy a 1890 or 1910 coin for just a little more. You'd be surprised at how little most of those coins actually cost. That's not the point. This is something you found. Not something you bought. I can go and buy an old, rusty, non-functional gun from almost any source for about $10. But if I ever FOUND such a thing it would be priceless to me. I'm still hoping to find my first gun while detecting. And when I find it I'm not going to think "gee, I could have bought this at the pawn shop for $10".

I really don't understand what you don't "get" about all of this? You sound like those people who laugh at detectorists because they think we are in it for the money and to find zinc pennies in the park. Do you even have a detector? ???

BamaBill

Nov 8, 2006
N. Alabama
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-terra 70, AT Pro, Tesoro Tejon, ML X-terra 50
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
As for taking clad and buying silver, some people do that with their clad coins, but as someone has already pointed out, its all about the finding. Most relic hunters will tell you that its all about finding historical items. If the finding "stuff" doesn't excite you, you're in the wrong hobby.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
yes $ 1.50 in clad can buy a worn out silver dime at a coin store / pawn shop -- P.S. i cash in my clad finds into silver that way --metal "upgrading" I call it :icon_thumright: but wheres the "thrill" in that ? silver coinage 90% type was last made in 1964 --46 years ago (the last commonly used silver coins were the 40% silver halfs from 65 to 70--which is 40 years ago )-- thats longer than some folks on these boards been alive .

silver because of its much greater than "face" value -- normally at least 10 x face at least --is always a "nice find"

mts

Bronze Member
May 18, 2009
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Also keep in mind that it's all relative. Sure, people get excited about finding a 1964 dime. But they get even more excited about finding a mercury, barber, or seated dime. Compared to finding clad, can slaw, and pull tabs a 1964 dime is pretty darn exciting for most people and rightfully so.

K

Kentucky Kache

I've had people on here who were supposed to be treasure hunters make fun of me because I like finding old objects that has been buried for a long time, even if they're not worth much. They just don't get it. That object is part of history. I have just uncovered part of our history.

OP
OP
R

ryclo

Apr 19, 2010
So on the one hand, I am being told that its exciting because its SILVER and worth more, then I am being told its old, then I am being told its not about how much its worth, its just exciting to find it!

Here is what I am confused about, why is everyone excited about a 64 and not a 67? Your not talking about a bid difference in age or worth?

It seems strange thats all, I found a 1968 quarter in the 10 year old park the other day and thought it was cool but if I was to brag about it like some do silver dimes I dont think I would get the same reaction?

I have a whites M6, I am new to this and am just curious. I am not doing it for the money, I just want to find cool old coins or other junk that I can try to imagine someone holding just before they dropped it into the ground! To me, its like playing the lottery every time you dig, just before you get to the target your head is spinning with possibilities of what you may find.

No disrespect ment to those that feel a 60's dime is a crazy great day, I just dont see why the line is drawn at silver?

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ryclo said:
So on the one hand, I am being told that its exciting because its SILVER and worth more, then I am being told its old, then I am being told its not about how much its worth, its just exciting to find it!

Here is what I am confused about, why is everyone excited about a 64 and not a 67? Your not talking about a bid difference in age or worth?

It seems strange thats all, I found a 1968 quarter in the 10 year old park the other day and thought it was cool but if I was to brag about it like some do silver dimes I dont think I would get the same reaction?

I have a whites M6, I am new to this and am just curious. I am not doing it for the money, I just want to find cool old coins or other junk that I can try to imagine someone holding just before they dropped it into the ground! To me, its like playing the lottery every time you dig, just before you get to the target your head is spinning with possibilities of what you may find.

No disrespect ment to those that feel a 60's dime is a crazy great day, I just dont see why the line is drawn at silver?

Detecting is probably 95% the site, and 5% the detector & user, so in other words.... research and pick your spots well!

OP
OP
R

ryclo

Apr 19, 2010
I will certainly try! Thanks...

Perhaps this will all make more sense the first time I actually dig one out? :tongue3:

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Finding clad is EASY. There is ZERO challenge in it. Anybody can do it.

Finding silver and other old coins actually takes skill and talent. Sometimes it is talent in using your machine, sometimes it is talent in researching and obtaining permission to sites to detect.

I personally enjoy the challenge of it. I could care less about the value. Why get excited about an 1964 quarter and not an 1968 quarter? Well an 1968 quarter is still in circulation. An 1964 quarter is not (unless somebody cashes in their coin collection).

Every day, there is less and less silver in the ground to be found. So every day, the challenge becomes greater.

The argument could be made greater by people who get excited about finding wheat pennies. Since basically, they are worth about a penny in their current condition.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread