Help a beginner chose a MD please!

chip_gilkey

Tenderfoot
Jun 10, 2010
Hi im new to the hobby of metal detecting, i have been using a bounty hunter pioneer 101 and decided its time to upgrade as it does the job but can be a little frustrating at times.

I have done some research and ive narrowed down what detector i want to 3 choices: The White Coinmaster, Garrett 250, and the Fisher F2. Im thinking its down to the Coinmaster or F2, with the F2 in the slight lead but i want expert advice.

Im mainly interested in finding coins (hopefully older ones) and gold in the form of jewelry and coins. Depth is important to me, i dont want to miss out on stuff 7 or 8 inches deep. as far as discrimination goes, ive heard that unless you have over 100 "notches" you wont want to use it as it can block out gold. As long as i have the option to block out annoying iron nails (which i probably wont even do that) ill be happy.

Thank you for any and all advice you can give me on these machines, your helping a beginner get his foot in the door.

Upvote 0

aranger

Dec 16, 2010
Thanks for the help, I found this http://www.meijer.com/s/bounty-hunter-time-ranger-metal-detector/_/R-109756?icid=banner02 but they seem to be sold out. So I think I’m going to start out with this one http://www.amazon.com/Bounty-Hunter...-20&link_code=btl&camp=213689&creative=392969
Which seems to be a cheap but from the reviews it does work I guess the tones don’t sound different for the deferent metals it comes across. I’m sure I’ll have to upgrade later but I’m only looking at it as a hobby. Also It does have Bounty Hunter in its name so I’m guessing they are a popular brand.

2bits

Nov 19, 2009
Detector(s) used
One to many
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Find a good used Whites XLT, you could'nt go wrong! HH
RCW

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
RCW said:
Find a good used Whites XLT, you could'nt go wrong! HH
RCW
I think that if you look at his post ... From what detectors he is talking about....... his price range is about $200.00......... You might still find one of those Bounty Hunters Time Ranger i got one from Meijer as soon as i saw it........................ I knew as soon as it was posted in the forum ..............they were going to sell out fast............ A detector that some paid up to $600.00 for now $150.00 to $180.00.............................I heard that radio shack stores don't have them in stock............... but that some stores can get them for you not all stores just some so you will have to check at different stores....................I know for my freind was to late at Meijer and and called some radio shack stores............... some said we can't get them ................then the 3rd store he called said yes i can get one for you and they got one for him from what they called there secondary distributor..........Even tho they were sold out on line......... So you could try that..........

Attachments

• AG00347_.gif
    AG00347_.gif
    8.1 KB · Views: 193
  • AG00347_.gif
    AG00347_.gif
    8.1 KB · Views: 195

Swartzie

Mar 15, 2009
Tuscarawas County, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
chip_gilkey said:
He then asked what ill be using it for and i said mainly looking for old coins and jewelry, then he said that if im looking for old coins i probably wouldnt find them till around the 8 or 9 inch mark and i should really consider going with the F5.

Old doesn't necessarily mean deep. I recently pulled a late 1700's coin that was only 2 inches deep. The deepest coin I have found was a merc at 7 inches.
-Swartzie

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
Swartzie said:
chip_gilkey said:
He then asked what ill be using it for and i said mainly looking for old coins and jewelry, then he said that if im looking for old coins i probably wouldnt find them till around the 8 or 9 inch mark and i should really consider going with the F5.

Old doesn't necessarily mean deep. I recently pulled a late 1700's coin that was only 2 inches deep. The deepest coin I have found was a merc at 7 inches.
-Swartzie
You got that right old don't mean deep.........

Attachments

• addon.gif
    addon.gif
    78 KB · Views: 242
  • bunny-dance.gif
    bunny-dance.gif
    16.5 KB · Views: 184
  • addon.gif
    addon.gif
    78 KB · Views: 237
  • bunny-dance.gif
    bunny-dance.gif
    16.5 KB · Views: 181

oc714

Dec 19, 2010
Hello I'm a newbie too.

I never done any detecting, what would be the best metal detector for me?

I'm looking for one that would detect precious metals in Mexico's villages where they may be buried quite deep 2 to 4 feet.

The story is, I'm searching for centenarios and coins where Spaniards had their Haciendas. Lore says Radicals would kill Hacendados back in the day or steal from them and later buried their coins in the ground to come back at a later time. Decades later one person disappeared from a villages at one point and never returned. Later people from the village found out that the disappeared person had already started a chain of Pharmacies at around the next big pueblo. :dontknow:

The village people would say that he must of found buried treasure from these radicals and got wealthy overnight. Lately there has been people that had gotten wealthy overnight and had moved to other states to start businesses. ??? ::) :o

Now they are seeing strangers coming to the village and digging deep holes in the mountain areas overnight.

So my question is, is there a metal detector that will find precious metals (gold and silver) up to 5ft deep?

Most villagers don't even want to dig for the treasure, because people had died when opening these bags/boxes from toxic gases...could that be true? :icon_scratch:

Well that is my idea of going down to my grandparents village and do some searching, but freaks me out of toxic gases, if true. :-[

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions