What digging tool(s) do you use and why?

eathabs

Bronze Member
Jan 11, 2005
Sunbury, PA
Detector(s) used
DFX 300, Classic ID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Upvote 0
OP
OP
eathabs

eathabs

Bronze Member
Jan 11, 2005
Sunbury, PA
Detector(s) used
DFX 300, Classic ID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dig, I'm glad we don't need a jackhammer here in PA!! The trowel seems pretty solid and I like the idea of the golf club grips. As far as sliding them on, another trick is squirting in some dishwashing liquid into the grip, when it dries it's like glue until you squirt water into the grip.

wmas, gotta say, that's a great photo of your tools!!! As far as photos are concerned on this site, it is one of the best ever. Great clarity and lighting. Is it the work of the new server??? Anyhow, the predator is what i am leaning towards but I do have a trowel I picked up at a local hardware store that is a one piece that I can use a dremel tool to cut notches in.

The predator does have the "Rambo" look to it but if any law enforcement officer would look at it they would plainly see that you were not out to cause mahem.

Great stuff all, thanks for all the responses. Don't stop here though, I know you guys and gals use many types of tools. Keep them coming!!!

Thnks much and HH,

Hal

dave-enc

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Eastern North Carolina
Tabs Bobbie, my wife uses a lesche digger and is thrilled by it, I use a heavy duty 10" screwdriver in the mulch and when in the grass use a 3/8"x8" screwdriver to pin point the find. then use the bigger screwdriver to remove it. Guess I am still old school. for sand we both use sand scoops- aluminum with roughly 30" handles. The equipment you use to recover your target is a matter of personal taste. Take into consideration your area you live in as a very rocky area the screwdrivers would be more difficult to use. Lastly remember when choosing what you use you want to be able to recover your target with a minimum amount of damage to the ground around it. Sand or mulch is no problem but in grass especially in the hot dryer monthes of summer you want to be real careful not to leave a bunch of brown plugs especially if you detect in areas where there is a lot of other people walking around . Good luck with you decision
hh
dave+bobbie

D

diggit 65

I started out diggin with a knife and one day while I was prying on a rock that was over my treasure the blade exploded .then I went home and made my own tool I cut a 4" steel pipe at a sharp angle then split it down the middle and welded a handle in the bakc of it .had know trouble with it even bending ;D.I have a little store bought tool now that I use that works very well 8)

catlord17

May 13, 2006
I posted this in a different thread not long ago, but what the heck. I primarily use a 9" screwdriver, since most of the time I am coinshooting in city parks where the coins would be extraordinarily deep at 3" down. But my digging kit also consists of a good, solid steel trowel (I was going through the cheapies about once a week at one point. The one I have is eighth inch thick steel, not going anywhere), a paring knife (2-3" serrated blade) and a handkerchief. The handkerchief is where I put all the dirt I dig after cutting a plug so I can replace it all, and it wraps my tools while they're not in use.

The entire digging kit cost me:

$5.95 for the trowel
$4.95 for the screwdriver
$0.97 for the handkerchief, and
$0.97 for three of the paring knives.

The only drawback is, it's a bit cumbersome.

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
I believe this to be the best digging tool of its type. The balance is supreme and it's so strong it should last decades.

I especially like the root cutters on both sides of the blade. That really comes in handy.

This tool is sharp and cuts through tuff sod like a hot knife through butter.

Here she is and these are hand made by Mighty AP (a member here).

Attachments

• churchcoin.jpg
    churchcoin.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 314

ModernDayWarrior

Nov 29, 2005
Palestine Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Here's what I use

Attachments

• big grip.jpg
    big grip.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 270
  • big grip.jpg
    big grip.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 261

Detect9

Tenderfoot
May 17, 2006
I have had lots of luck with an inexpensive pry bar ( the small type you get at auto parts stores ) . Works very well as a coin popper , without the big price tag and nearly made identical. If you break one of these , then you you are prying up rail road ties.

true1819

Jul 30, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is a difference between the Lesche Digger and the Predator Tools Model 85 Digger. I have both actually. I prefer th Predator one. The welds are better. They have a facebook page you can check out a few customer reviews on too.

Predator Tools | Facebook

I am going to purchase the Raven next. I have bought serveral of their tools for gardening and metal detecting. Great quality!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread