White XLT noise trouble?

DBugR

May 8, 2005
Goodlettsville, TN
Wondering if all XLTs have the problem mine seems to. While sweeping, if it stubs a particularly stiff tuff of grass, or a small branch (twig size), it makes a sound a lot like when hitting a target. Does anyone know if this is normal? I called mfg. and they said it was, but to make sure all connections were tight. Guess it just doesn't seem right to me that a $400 dollar toy should do that.

Thanks for your thoughts!
Rich

Upvote 0

grizzly bare

Aug 30, 2005
Warrenton, VA
Detector(s) used
Garrett CX II/Sovereign SX-2a Pro/Quattro
Rich,
My IDXPro does the same thing. I called the dealer and got the same answer. White's "hit" on grass/twigs that tap coil.

grizzly bare

OP
OP
D

DBugR

May 8, 2005
Goodlettsville, TN
Just FYI Burdie and Grizzly Bare,

I disconnected and reconnected my cable again, (5th or 6th time) and guess what? The noise has been dramatically reduced! I mean, next to no spurious false targets from bumping against something. Thought you might like to know in the event yours suffers from same malidy. I had done that a number of times because the tech at White's suggested that as well, but it never changed anything previously. FWIW.

DBugR

DugHoles

Bronze Member
May 23, 2005
Hudson Falls, NY
Detector(s) used
White's Spectrum XLT---Tinytec Ultraluxe probe
After reading this, mine does too. I normally kick the item out of the way, so I can do a clean sweep. The info is good to know though.

GL & HH,

DugHoles

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, most land detectors will do this and some water units too if you bump a rock underwater. However if you can hold it 3 foot off the ground not near any metal object and wiggle the coil and still get the noise, make sure the wire is taped to the shaft and you have some slack at the coil. If you can wiggle the wire and get noise, send it in.

OP
OP
D

DBugR

May 8, 2005
Goodlettsville, TN
Thanks Sandman,

I did wrap it a bit better too, but after reseating the connector, I think it's resolved itself.

Btw, if I may ask, what do you use for underwater MDing?

backitup83

Jan 24, 2006
Chesapeake Virginia
Detector(s) used
(XLT-x 2 ) )(BH Sharp Shooter 2) (Coinmaster 4000/D series2)(Coinmaster 2/DB series 2)(Discovery 2)(Discovery 1000)
400 hundred dollars,,,where on earth did you get one for 400 hundred dollars.I paid twice that and then some. But to let you know, yes mine had the same bump buzz also. I did the tightening of the connections and most of the noise went away. I did get the 150 dollars free. I could only use it in the Whites store. I bought the small coil, a digger and a ring book. Really four hundred dollars?
Mike

The Beep Goes On

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2006
Houston, TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030, Excalibur II, V3i, TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Remember, there's the Sprectrum XLT, and the E-Series XLT...

HH!
TBGO

G

Ground Squirrel

I Also Have A Used XLT, It _WAS_ Noisy Until I...

Took it apart, drilled out the rivits holding the handle to the electronics box and replaced them with nuts-n-bolts hardware. I also replaced the ground wire between the circuit board and the casing.
Also while in there I cleaned the board and "spaced" the componets so they were no longer in contact with eachother and where it seemed reasonable, I put some silicone between the ones that looked like they needed it. Basically I removed all the internal movement from the parts.
The "bump" noise went completely away, I can hit it on a tree and unless there's a nail or something right there, no noise.
I found out something interesting yesterday... if you ignore the low battery warning, the detector will continue to "work" but it will lose the ability to pinpoint and then become erratic much like it was before the overhaul.

One last note, I bought my XLT (used) for $325US... as far as I can tell it's at least 5 years old. I need to call White's and ask about the datecode.

Repairing an XLT is the easy part... learning to use it effectivly will take some real time!

GS

backitup83

Jan 24, 2006
Chesapeake Virginia
Detector(s) used
(XLT-x 2 ) )(BH Sharp Shooter 2) (Coinmaster 4000/D series2)(Coinmaster 2/DB series 2)(Discovery 2)(Discovery 1000)
Did you buy it used of of Ebay? Squirrel, the modification you wrote about. Would that make my warranty go away also? My big concern,the the toggle switch. Seems with the price of the machine they could of used a better set up for the toggle. Using the premade programs is a snap. Mine seemed to work pretty well. I did try to program some stuff on there the other day. Everthing went pretty well until I got to the discriminating numbers.That didn't go well. So I'm still trying to figure it out. Thats why I sprung for the Spectrum, so I could have the premade programs.
Plus I was just worried that forking out that much money and not having a warranty was not in my best intrest. Thanks for all the great info.
Mike

G

Ground Squirrel

No, I bought my XLT from someone local to me. Paid what I did part as a favor from the seller, part due to the condition of the unit. Poor old XLT had a hard life before I got a hold of it. Now it's living with a technology addict who will care for it like it deserves. :)
I too think the toggle switch could be a little different. My fingers are quite strong and I have to be careful not to crush the switch when using it. (test your hand strength; get a mechanical bathroom scale and hold in in your hands. Slowly squease it to the highest reading you can and hold it for a count of 5 seconds. I can hold 230 pounds on a bad day and reach 280 pounds when I'm showing off. My hands hurt for an hour or so afterwards :)
A warrantee is only good for stuff the company will admit is wrong. Most of the time, unless there is a strict cause in the paperwork about opening the housing, modifications such as replacing hardware won't void a warrantee. However sometimes a company just wants to be a hard-ass and they will void your warrantee for any little reason, just to avoid taking care of the unit's defects. Contact White's and ask them if they will void your warrantee if you replace the hardware. What little time I have spent on the phone with them leads me to think they are reasonable and allowing for the skill employed in the hardware "mods" you shouldn't have any problems. Putting silicone on the circuit card will void the warrantee, so don't make that mod. Should you need circuit repairs in the future, the silicone will severely impair the technician and you don't want to do that.

A last thing you can do before resorting to modifications is wrap the search coil cable tightly around the shaft, use a Velcro tie as close to the bottom as you can (with a "service loop" in the cable of about 3 inches) and another Velcro at the top of the shaft near the hand-grip. the "flopping" wire can interact with the search coil and confuse the detector's electronics.

Best of luck, and may you find something shiny today. :)

backitup83

Jan 24, 2006
Chesapeake Virginia
Detector(s) used
Thanks for the info Squirrel. I don't think I need to worry about my fingers bench pressing that much.LOL, but I am carfull with the toggle. Happy hunting \_
Mike

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread