Getting permission or leasing property to detect on

bigalathenstn

Mar 20, 2007
Hi,I would like to know how about to get permission to detect on private property or lease land to detect on. I found some land to detect on and the guy told me to make him a offer, so i offered 50/50 split,but he would rather have $$ so my question is, What is a good price for 50 acres of wooded land with in 18 miles of Chickamauga battle field in Georgia? I would like to lease the land for say 6 months.

Upvote 0

njnydigger

Jun 4, 2009
Detector(s) used
I've swung White's (MXT), Minelab (Safari) & currently run with an Omega 8000 by Teknetics & Fisher CZ-3D (1021 Model)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Honestly, it already sounds like this guy is going to be a MAJOR pain to deal with. I'd avoid the situation, but, that's just me.

IMHO, it is quite rude for someone to ask for money up-front. I mean, unless there is a TON of history involved in this site, you have absolutely no idea if you'll pull ANY keepers from the ground. So, paying him up-front would leave you in the hole. A 50-50 split is a MUCH better arrangement. However, it sounds like this guy is trying to strong arm you.

Unless it is a very small amount, say fifty bucks or something, I would avoid this guy like the plague. Oh yeah, who's to say if you DO pull up something nice (and valuable), that this person won't look to start changing the plans.

If you do indeed go ahead with this one, I'd most certainly have everything in writing.

Most people will give you the go-ahead to hunt their property with no strings. Out of the kindness of their own heart. Sometimes, they will ask for a split of the finds, or, to return any valuables or keepsakes belonging to the family if you found them. However, this guy sounds like a crook.

Just my two cents :sign13:

OP
OP
B

bigalathenstn

Mar 20, 2007
O i agree in writing is a must,I posted a add locally trying to find a spot to detect on and i said a 50/50 split or I would make a offer based on location etc. I shoulda mentioned that in my post. I am thinking of offering $2.50 a acre for a 6 month lease,kinda like we do for deer hunting property, But i wasn't sure on the $2.50 I don't wanna insult anybody by not offering enough. Its hard dealing with some people these days.

njnydigger

Jun 4, 2009
Detector(s) used
I've swung White's (MXT), Minelab (Safari) & currently run with an Omega 8000 by Teknetics & Fisher CZ-3D (1021 Model)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, your last post changes the story a little bit.

I didn't know you had an ad in the paper. If that's the case, most people reading the ad will ASSUME that if you go to the trouble and/or expense of putting an ad in the paper, you must be looking for something valuable. So, they then might feel that they should ask for a fee of some sorts. Also, when you have an ad in the paper, people might think you are a professional. Meaning you actually make a living from metal detecting :laughing7: And they'll once again have the bright idea of making a buck off of you.

BIG difference between knocking on someone's door and asking them to hunt versus placing an ad in a newspaper. Changes the ground rules IMHO.

Finally, if you can afford to rent the property for 6 months and feel you'll recoup your investment with money or good memories, go right ahead. However, I personally wouldn't do it. As we all know, most finds aren't worth that much. Money wise or sentimentally. so, I wouldn't spend an arm and a leg just to go detecting. Rather, I'd look for a spot equally as old but FREE :thumbsup:

OP
OP
B

bigalathenstn

Mar 20, 2007
Its kinda like my gold dredging hobby lol I spend way more than I find but its just fun looking and seeing the flash in the pan.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread