Target question

m bryan

Jun 12, 2010
east texas
Detector(s) used
Delta 4000 and Garrett 300 Teknetics T2 Minelab Explorer SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Went out for a while today and dug a few targets at an old school site. After digging several trash targets I decided to turn the discrimination up to only dimes, quarters and dollars just to see if I could get a hit. Got a good quarter reading so I began to dig. Found the target at seven inches. It was a nail about half inch long......Why would the detector not pass on the nail? I have to run the sensitivity up all the way to get any depth.....factory settings will only go 3" deep.......am I doing something wrong or is my machine inferior? Garrett Ace 300 about 12 years old. Digging trash with the discrimination up all the way. :dontknow:

Upvote 0

njnydigger

Jun 4, 2009
Detector(s) used
I've swung White's (MXT), Minelab (Safari) & currently run with an Omega 8000 by Teknetics & Fisher CZ-3D (1021 Model)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First off, let me clearly state that, I am by no means an expert on the Garrett line. I ran with an Ace 250 very briefly and found it to be an okay machine. Not familiar with the 300 you mentioned, however...

There are certain "issues" that carry over to almost any brand of detector. One of them is junk targets. By raising your discrimination higher, yes, you will be canceling out a lot of the junk. But, not ALL of the junk. Even on my Safari or other top-of-the-line machines I've had over the years, I'm sometimes "fooled" by a bottle cap showing up in the dime/quarter range. So, again, you can certainly X out MOST of the junk targets, but, not ALL of them.

Also, nails tend to be tricky little items. ESPECIALLY if they are older (spikes, square nails, etc.) and even more so if the iron is starting to crumble apart in the hole. They very often come up as coin signals on most machines. Mostly everyone has this problem.

My suggestion would be this...

If your machine has a notch discriminator, try notching that item out completely. Also, you might have a problem where your detector is picking up the nail instead of a good target that is closeby. Best thing in this case would be to try detecting in between the junk with a small shooter or sniper coil. If these things don't work, your only other option would be to clear the entire top layer of the nails in order to get to the deeper and older stuff beneath them. However, me personally, I would only do this if the site is older and you are fairly certain there are some keepers there since it takes a LOT of time and effort :thumbsup:

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
To start with, yes, that is a lower-end machine (sorry garrett lovers :'( ) But still, a nail shouldn't have come in when in high disc. Some "super hot" machines have that problem of getting fooled by deep bent nails (for example, the CZ6, or 1266) if you're not super aware of tricks to try. But the Garret you have, should not have this problem (as it's anything but super hot ::) )

Questions for you:

1) try the nail now that you have it out of the hole. Does it still come in at high disc. levels? Do ALL nails (try some from your tool box) come in on all the various disc. levels? (because even foil disc. would/should still knock out all small iron like nails). If so, a) you're doing something wrong (like, you're not truly in disc. mode, or you don't know what the h*ck you're supposed to be listening for, or something), or b) the machine is broken.

2) if it's just that one nail that is not getting disc'd out, then I bet it's not an iron nail. There are aluminum roofing nails, or copper nails, like they use in ships, boats, etc..... (to prevent salt water corrosion), and other types of non iron "nails". Perhaps you just happened to find one of those types?

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I wouldn't worry about one (or two) nails. If you are picking them up at 7 inches?....... run with that. Your'e doing good. Take one of your favorite spots, String out a section about 10 by 10, and dig EVERYTHING in the all metal mode. Call it a test, challenge, whatever you need to call it but stick to it till ALL targets are dug. UNDER the trash may be the treasure. Moral: if your'e not digging pop-tops, your'e not digging gold! TTC

OP
OP
m bryan

m bryan

Jun 12, 2010
east texas
Detector(s) used
Delta 4000 and Garrett 300 Teknetics T2 Minelab Explorer SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the tips guys.....

Rob66

Bronze Member
Jun 30, 2006
California
Detector(s) used
Whites new coinmaster-Teso Silver Max-Minelab GT
Go back that quarter could have been under the nail.

Gunny71

Jan 14, 2009
Texas by Gawd
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-TRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a Garrett GTAX 550, and it likes square nails, they can ring up like solid quarters at times. :dontknow:

Digger

Mar 24, 2003
Dodge City Kansas
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, E-Trac, Makro Racer 2, DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Deep rusted nails are a problem for most detectors. It has to do with the pointed end causing "wraparound" which causing the nail to sound good. In most cases the nail will only sound good in one direction(parallel to the nail) and not the other. Also, a nail will sound off in one spot(at the pointed end) but pinpoint at the bigger(head) end. So if when you pinpoint you find the target shifts position slightly, chances are it's a piece of iron junk.

G.A.P.metal

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
"Kan-a-we-o-la" Head on a Pole N.Y. Seneca Territo
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, 11" Low Freq. , 9" X35 Coils, MI 6 Pointer...
Land or Sea Pointer
King Of Spades 40" KS-D SA and 40" KS-S-SA
L
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Digger said:
Deep rusted nails are a problem for most detectors. It has to do with the pointed end causing "wraparound" which causing the nail to sound good. In most cases the nail will only sound good in one direction(parallel to the nail) and not the other. Also, a nail will sound off in one spot(at the pointed end) but pinpoint at the bigger(head) end. So if when you pinpoint you find the target shifts position slightly, chances are it's a piece of iron junk.
Yes i agree with Digger i use a Fisher CZ-6a very hot machine, but it thinks old rusty nails r silver coins,the old rustys will pinpoint at different places its common for most machines.in 37 years i got enough nails to build a house ....and i got a room full of goodies to prove that...so dig anything that beeps both ways and some that only beep 1 way find a target and walk in a cercle and listen to what the machine is telling you and check the hole before u cover it up i`v gotten nails and good targets side by side!!! Thanks Gary G.A.P.metal

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread