What to do with a cell phone?

Spirit

Jun 12, 2003
Philly
Two weeks ago I found a Cell Phone, fairly new, camera phone. (interesting pics on it but lets not go there) I've called and left voice mails on it of all the people in the phone book, but no one has returned my calls, and now the phone is dead. Any sugestions as to what to do? Is it technically mine now? Sell on ebay? Buy a charger and just use as a cheap digitil camera?

Upvote 0

southern gent

Aug 1, 2004
Pickens Co. S.C.
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal, Sovriegn. Whites. Garret
Primary Interest:
Other
I would still try to return it. Code of ethics and all that. You may try going to a place that sells that type phone to see if they will charge the batt for you. Keep up the good fight, it makes us look better which helps keep the hobby open for us all. Thanks and HH! Chris

True_Metal

Aug 27, 2004
Smoky Mountains
Detector(s) used
Minelab Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, do keep trying. But, in the meantime post the pics you found on it, you got me curious! ;D

lab rat

May 21, 2003
Sunny Southern CA Coast
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I'm with Southern Gent on that one-- try getting a dealer to charge it up for free. Usually I just leave them on and wait for them to ring-- its usually the owner calling to locate it. If that doesn't work, you can turn it in to the Police, and maybe they can track it.

I have found phones on the beach, after they had been destroyed by salt water. I'm waiting until we get our new State law passed so I can turn them in for recycling.

JARMAN

Bronze Member
Jun 10, 2004
Most all cell phone's are activated to one's account by the serial no.# on the phone battery.Any dealer of the brand should have no problem with account location.

C

Charles,Oak Island

Call the local Police/Sheriff do a found property report. Someone may have already reported it lost.

northoceanbeach

Tenderfoot
Jun 8, 2004
keep it and sell it, what's wrong with you people? aren't we treasure hunters here? so being such it is our job, yea our DUTY to keep what we find and try to make a profit off it.

Cladius

Mar 8, 2004
I found one and turned it in to the police station in that town. All they wanted to know was if I had made any calls. Told them no they took my name and I never heard from anyone. Still sitting in lost and found I bet.

lab rat

May 21, 2003
Sunny Southern CA Coast
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I found one on the street once while walking my dog, and while I was trying to figure out how to work it, it started ringing. I answered, and some girl said "How did you get my cell phone?" I told her, and she asked where I found it. I told her that, and she said she'd be right there. Sure enough, she drove up and was SO glad to get her phone back!

A friend of mine found one while detecting, and a minute later it started ringing. He was also able to get it back to the owner, and he came back with a reward.

Nothing wrong with returning something to someone who lost it. Ever lose anything, northoceanbeach? How did YOU feel?

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
Wife found one in the street and we called the "Home" listing in the memory or address list or number directory or whatever you call it. This phone belonged to some rude people too. They were very suspicious, bordering on abusive and they never gave any sort of thank you, verbal or otherwise. Oh well, they got it back, hope they went over their minutes...

OP
OP
S

Spirit

Jun 12, 2003
Philly

Thanks for the Advice, couldn't find where I had written down the numbers from the Phone book, so tried taking it to a verizon store to charge/see what they could do. They took a look at it and said it had been reported lost/stolen, and that they would notify the owner. Offered my number to have the owner contact me, they said no they'd take care of it, and that they couldn't give the phone back to me.

Why do I get the feeling its going to end up back on verizons shelves LOL.

C

Charles,Oak Island

In our hobby there is a need for honesty and common sense to travel hand in hand. Most of us it appears not all have enough sense to know a collectible artifact from recently lost or stolen property.
If I hurt someone's feelings well, GET OVER IT.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread