A true story...
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    us
    Buy, Sell & Trade Used Detecting Gear! 100% FREE!! Dealer Stock Welcome :) TreasureClassifieds.com

Jun 2009
    I've swung White's (MXT), Minelab (Safari) & currently run with an Omega 8000 by Teknetics & Fisher CZ-3D (1021 Model)
    27 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

A true story...

I'm out at my local park this morning doing some testing on my Safari. I hate hunting parks - especially newer ones - but, just wanted to test a few settings out, etc.

Was there about 15 minutes or so when I casually look up and see some fella walking my way. I can see he's armed with a detector. Anyways, he mosies on over to me and introduces himself. After a bit of chit chat, he mentions he's having a few problems with his new detector. He said he was brand new to the hobby. So, I asked him what the problem was. His reply...

"I ain't finding anything"

I looked over to his machine and noticed it was one of those cheapie ones sold by Harbor Freight. The one with the old-school needle in the "VDI" screen. I didn't want to put down his machine, so, I just said it looks like a nice detector and mentioned I didn't know too much about it. Told him I'd give him a few pointers though to get him started on the right foot.

I then asked him what it was that he was primarily looking to find. He replies (completely dead-pan)...

"Gold coins and things like that"

While trying to keep a straight face, I told him that might be a bit hard to do in local parks. So, of course, he looks at me like I just bad-mouthed his wife and children. After a bit more explaining and trying to "educate" him, he literally tosses his machine on the ground between me and him and says...

"I think you're full of s*@t". To which I replied, "Why is that?". He said..."Because obviously your not gonna be gentleman enough to tell me where to find the expensive stuff".

After yet again explaining the hard work and virtues of research, trying different sites, etc. he cuts me off mid-sentence and stated "Save it". He then grabs his detector off the ground and wanders off to another section of the park. After getting over the shock of speaking with such an obvious nutcase, I went back to what I doing.

About 40 minutes later while I'm swinging my machine, I see this wack-job heading my way again.
    I look toward him and nice as can be say..."Any luck?" His face lit up like a Christmas tree, he approaches me and sticks out his hand palm up and says..."Take a look at this". In his hand he has maybe a buck in clad, a junky butterfly pin and boy scout slide. I dipped my head down to take a closer look, and he snatches his hand closed and says..."I obviously don't need your help. By the way, I'd appreciate it if you wouldn't touch that spot over there as it seems real good and I'm gonna come back tomorrow". I said..."Sure, no problem man".

He then turns around and walks off into the distance. I actually thought I was being punked or filmed for Candid Camera. It takes all types. And how was YOUR morning

us
    Feb 2009
    The NO town, CA
    Minelab E-trac w/ Sunray X-1 Pro Coil and 10x12 SEF, Tesoro LST
    2 times

Re: A true story...

Wow!! What a wacko.......Maybe it's best if you steer clear of that park for a while until he gets burned out on finding zinc pennies. Some people are just rude and clueless. It was very nice of you to try and teach him the ropes. Did he dig decent plugs, or did he tear up the grass?? Could be bad PR for the hunting in the area.

us
    Buy, Sell & Trade Used Detecting Gear! 100% FREE!! Dealer Stock Welcome :) TreasureClassifieds.com

Jun 2009
    I've swung White's (MXT), Minelab (Safari) & currently run with an Omega 8000 by Teknetics & Fisher CZ-3D (1021 Model)
    27 times

I didn't go over to the spot he was detecting in since I was busy doing my own thing. However, wouldn't be surprised if the moron left huge craters in the ground.

And yes, I WILL leave his spot alone. Matter of fact, he can have the whole park. It's newer. From the 60's or so. Ain't a thing there aside from clad. I wish him luck

us
    Nov 2008
    Long Island, NY
    Whites PRL 1, M6, BHID300

causing trouble again are ya??

Charter Member
    nz
    Dec 2008
    New Zealand
    X-Terra 705 Excalibur 1000 Garrett Pro Pointer
    Honorable Mentions (1)

Sometimes that's nature's way of warning ya...Didn't have a gumboot on his head did he?
    And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music.

Mar 2007
    Salinas, CA
    Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
    10061 times
    Banner Finds (4)

well it's obvious who the "nutcase" was here. It was njnydigger for not telling him where and how to find gold coins. Sandals is right, njnydigger was stirring up trouble alright!

us
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Mar 2008
    3246′58″N 9648′14″W
    My other detector is a helicopter
    16 times

I would bury a gross of these:

http://www.windycitynovelties.com/13...s_cid=FRO13902

In his special spot and catch it on video, It should make his day and yours

I say give em what they want
    If you find me upside down, Roll me over.

"I dream of a world where chickens can cross roads       
          without having their motives questioned..."

us
    May 2008
    wa
    1 times

Quote Originally Posted by Jeep

now that would be funny!!!

May 2005
    Maine
    Minelab Etrac Fisher F75 SE
    29 times
    Banner Finds (1)

I got to agree with Jeep on this one. Plant some coins and sit back and watch the action.

Charter Member
    um
    Jul 2004
    South Florida Cesspool
    Tesoro Sand Shark, Whites M6
    9875 times

Here's one even better- plant the coins near his spot and you dig them up while he watches. Now that would be classic.

May 2005
    Maine
    29 times
    Banner Finds (1)

Yup even better!

May 2005
    Maine
    29 times
    Banner Finds (1)

Wait, do it while wearing Iron Patches Spandex.

us
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Mar 2008
    3246′58″N 9648′14″W
    My other detector is a helicopter
    16 times

Quote Originally Posted by diggummup
    Here's one even better- plant the coins near his spot and you dig them up while he watches. Now that would be classic.
    I like that idea even better
    If you find me upside down, Roll me over.

"I dream of a world where chickens can cross roads       
          without having their motives questioned..."

us
    Mar 2009
    Tuscarawas County, Ohio
    Tesoro Tejon
    48 times
    Relic Hunting

Quote Originally Posted by Jeep

Somebody's got to do this to someone they dig with and get it on video. Just for a practical joke. That would be some funny stuff. It would make a great youtube video.
    -Swartzie
    Keep calm and dig on

Charter Member
    um
    Jul 2004
    South Florida Cesspool
    Tesoro Sand Shark, Whites M6
    9875 times

Quote Originally Posted by mainer
    Wait, do it while wearing Iron Patches Spandex.
    Now i'm gonna have nightmares. Thanks alot!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links