A true story...

njnydigger

Jun 4, 2009
Detector(s) used
I've swung White's (MXT), Minelab (Safari) & currently run with an Omega 8000 by Teknetics & Fisher CZ-3D (1021 Model)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm out at my local park this morning doing some testing on my Safari. I hate hunting parks - especially newer ones - but, just wanted to test a few settings out, etc.

Was there about 15 minutes or so when I casually look up and see some fella walking my way. I can see he's armed with a detector. Anyways, he mosies on over to me and introduces himself. After a bit of chit chat, he mentions he's having a few problems with his new detector. He said he was brand new to the hobby. So, I asked him what the problem was. His reply...

"I ain't finding anything"

I looked over to his machine and noticed it was one of those cheapie ones sold by Harbor Freight. The one with the old-school needle in the "VDI" screen. I didn't want to put down his machine, so, I just said it looks like a nice detector and mentioned I didn't know too much about it. Told him I'd give him a few pointers though to get him started on the right foot.

I then asked him what it was that he was primarily looking to find. He replies (completely dead-pan)...

"Gold coins and things like that"

While trying to keep a straight face, I told him that might be a bit hard to do in local parks. So, of course, he looks at me like I just bad-mouthed his wife and children. After a bit more explaining and trying to "educate" him, he literally tosses his machine on the ground between me and him and says...

"I think you're full of s*@t". To which I replied, "Why is that?". He said..."Because obviously your not gonna be gentleman enough to tell me where to find the expensive stuff".

After yet again explaining the hard work and virtues of research, trying different sites, etc. he cuts me off mid-sentence and stated "Save it". He then grabs his detector off the ground and wanders off to another section of the park. After getting over the shock of speaking with such an obvious nutcase, I went back to what I doing.

About 40 minutes later while I'm swinging my machine, I see this wack-job heading my way again.
I look toward him and nice as can be say..."Any luck?" His face lit up like a Christmas tree, he approaches me and sticks out his hand palm up and says..."Take a look at this". In his hand he has maybe a buck in clad, a junky butterfly pin and boy scout slide. I dipped my head down to take a closer look, and he snatches his hand closed and says..."I obviously don't need your help. By the way, I'd appreciate it if you wouldn't touch that spot over there as it seems real good and I'm gonna come back tomorrow". I said..."Sure, no problem man".

He then turns around and walks off into the distance. I actually thought I was being punked or filmed for Candid Camera. It takes all types. And how was YOUR morning :tongue3: :laughing9:

Upvote 0

diggin jimmy hoffa

Oct 5, 2007
Somewhere in Michiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus for now
Tesoro Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd venture to guess he doesn't have a pinpointer, so I think I'd salt that wack-o's little spot with BB's. ;D

mts

Bronze Member
May 18, 2009
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex+, Nokta Pulsedive, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Silver µMax, BH Tracker IV, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know that everyone is just having fun. It's always fun to think about all of the cruel jokes we could play on someone. But we need to make sure that new people who are out here reading these posts don't get the wrong idea. This guy is a nutcase and anyone who comes across him should give him a wide berth. You don't mess around with someone like that. He could be carrying a gun and go postal on you. He's obviously got a few screws loose and can't be trusted.

I applaud you for being the bigger man and trying to help out. And I applaud you for not taking the advice of some of the other posters out here and start playing tricks on him (although it sure would be fun). Thanks for sharing your story and reminding us all that our hobby can be dangerous at times. There sure are a lot of weird people in this world.

Tank69

Silver Member
May 5, 2009
Yuma Az
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Eldorado , Fisher Gold Bug 2 , Whites MXT , Keen Dry Washer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:laughing9: lol digger I'd pepper the entire park with BB's an mark it off my hunting list :laughing9: lol

mts

Bronze Member
May 18, 2009
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex+, Nokta Pulsedive, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Silver µMax, BH Tracker IV, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tank69 said:
:laughing9: lol digger I'd pepper the entire park with BB's an mark it off my hunting list :laughing9: lol

So you'd ruin a park for everyone else just to get rid of a guy who is going to give up in a couple more days anyway? I keep seeing more and more people out here talking about torturing others with BB's. It's not a good trend. Hopefully the newbies who come out here realize that you guys are joking and don't end up ruining YOUR park by following your own advice...

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
I think this goes back to one of my old observations. 90% of the people I meet are good people. The other 10%? Rotten to the core!

sandals55

Nov 25, 2008
Long Island, NY
Detector(s) used
Whites PRL 1, M6, BHID300
it does take all kinds......I know someone that did the BB's on a beach to get back at one of 'those' hunters and by doing so, ruined it for everyone else.....and we do have new comers reading these posts and we don't want them getting discouraged in the hobby....what if they happen upon a park or beach that has BB's there for some other reason such as kids playing.....after reading this post they would think that the park was planted and walk away discouraged......yes, we can joke about it but it takes a bigger man/woman to just walk away and come back another day.....

and as for you Joe....no spandex, please, the thought is giving me nightmares already!!!!! behave yourself, don't make me come down there!!!!

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well...we have all been in some way responsible for drawing the "get rich quick" types into our hobby... Everything from showing our finds to others personally, to big discoveries making the news, to posting photos of our best finds on online forums like these contributes to it. It was nice that you handled this guy with some tact. Let's hope he is a responsible guy, and folks don't end up filling in his holes for him the next day.

-Buck

Zincoln Miner

Nov 14, 2003
New York State
Detector(s) used
Minelab Vanquish 340, Tesoro Silver uMax, Compadre, and BH Tracker IV.

Ex: White's Spectrum XLT, Tesoro Cutlass II Umax, and that circa late 70's red handled junk from RadioShack that started it.
one time I tried to help a guy online with some xlt settings.I told him he has to adjust the sens settings for his area.he accused me of trying to make him miss targets.he was west coast me east.
hhhhhhhhmmmm???? :icon_scratch:

diggin jimmy hoffa

Oct 5, 2007
Somewhere in Michiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus for now
Tesoro Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So you'd ruin a park for everyone else just to get rid of a guy who is going to give up in a couple more days anyway? I keep seeing more and more people out here talking about torturing others with BB's. It's not a good trend. Hopefully the newbies who come out here realize that you guys are joking and don't end up ruining YOUR park by following your own advice...
[/quote]

Hi Mts,
I'm the one who originally posted that reply and yes it was posted in fun. No way would I do that to anyone, as it does disuade others from enjoying our hobby.
DJH

SushiDog

Oct 5, 2010
Sacramento, California
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark (Under water unit)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a great idea for "Mr. Jackass"....being retired from a law enforcement agency here in California, I had to "eat" my share of crap sandwiches from people like this during my career, and much worse than this, I must say....I would usually never be so draconian in this situation, but this is what I would do....I would go to a sporting goods store, wal-mart or target, and buy a couple of pounds of BB's (not lead) for a BB gun.....I would then walk out to this guys "special spot" and just seed the heck out of that place with BB's....throw them far and wide up in the air! One thing will be for sure....he will be occupied in that area for some time to come, and maybe will deter him from ruining some other place for the good guys....and I am serious!.....SushiDog

S

stefen

Wearing spandex is a bad idea...never know what type of nuts those will attract?

As they say, it's your a$$. :laughing7:

extractor

Silver Member
Sep 27, 2007
Sal Sagev Adaven
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC,,,, SOVEREIGN GT,,,, GP 3500,,,,
GB PRO.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Tank69 said:
I'd do what Tank said,, plus I'd unload all the Zinc Pennies that coinstar rejects at that park too :icon_thumleft:

calisdad

Bronze Member
Sep 8, 2010
Groveland, CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Too funny, except it probably wasn't at the time. You handled it well tho.
Too bad you didn't have a $5 gold piece to palm. :laughing7:

Hey maybe he'll read your post......naa.

White Feather

Nov 19, 2008
Ellenton, Florida
Detector(s) used
Whites Surfmaster, Bounty Hunter, Propwash...
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:laughing9: Let him have fun. I'll donate a few pennies. He will think he hit the motherload. :headbang:

Attachments

• Attys Coins.jpg
    Attys Coins.jpg
    108.8 KB · Views: 585

andy from de

Sep 28, 2010
dover delaware
Detector(s) used
whites mxt pro
Some people are just born that way, they think they are entitled. I agree with Jeep I think it was, The replica gold coins are the way yo go. Seeding the place with bb's would lower your self to his level and he is a jerk. You got to post the video somewhere. I still cant stop laughing!I can see him now running around like a madman. people like that guy give us all a blackeye AA

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions