Most Valuable MD Find You Ever SOLD???

wildrider

Bronze Member
Feb 25, 2007
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Nautilus DMC IIb/White's 6000 Di Pro
I had a White's dealership about 10 years ago. A friend needed cash and I bought this from him for $2000 just prior to 9/11/01. He found it with a White's Alaskan metal detector in 1975. After 9/11 people quit buying stuff and I got a little scared of the economy, so I took it to Nashville and sold it to Harry Ridgeway that December for almost double. I probably could have gotten more, but was happy to get that money. It is a great piece and I wish I still had it. :-\ Still had a pretty good return on my investment over a 3 month period.

http://www.relicman.com/plates/P0677.htm

mlayers

Gold Member
Oct 29, 2007
Northern, OH
Detector(s) used
DFX, White PI, Bounty Hunter, Whites Surfmaster II and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found a very large gold class ring back a couple of years ago. I checked for the owner I called the school and we did alot of searching and could never locate the owner. So after gold got up I took it in and I got $178 for it. So that is the most value item I have sold that I have found.....Matt

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've found jars full of trinkets and baubles over the years. I can't say I ever SOLD any. The most memorable piece that I GAVE away was a small diamond ring. I gave it to my girlfriend's granddaughter. It cost her a SMILE. Payment enough. TTC

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
Is this the IRS back tax info collection site?

OP
OP
S

spdrus

Aug 25, 2010
LOL! Guess I never thought of that.

I would hope that some IRS ***** would have something better to do than troll a MD site in the hopes of finding that someone sold a few hundred dollar item and 'forgot' to mention it.

Anyway, I was just curious since I see some amazing finds and stuff like, 'appraised for this' or 'worth that' and I was just curious if anyone really went ahead and sold one of their amazing finds.

I'm just getting into this hobby and while I certainly plan to document/photograph any interesting or valuable objects I might find I am also hoping to be successful enough to occasionally sell anything of value that I might be fortunate enough to find.

I was curious to see what the potential of this hobby really is - like I saw someone's ring collection on here (I think) after like 20 years of finds - after never having sold anything - and was wondering if anyone ever sold something that elaborate? You know, like "Metal Detected for 20 years, sold my entire gold ring collection for 800k and retired..."LOL or something along those lines.

Perhaps the topic is too personal - if so, I apologize.

Just trying to evaluate the $$$ potential of this hobby that I'm getting into.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Potential has a great deal to do with where you are and how much time you put in. I live in a fairly old area, and have hunted many early sites, and if you can do that good things will happen. Good as in many four figure finds in my 10 years of digging. I'm sure that's still the exception, not the rule, because I feel I've been a bit lucky too.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread