I have a newb question (VERY newb question)

gregd573

Oct 23, 2005
eldridge, missouri
Although I am not a professional by any means, I think that a metal object anywhere under the coil should set it off......where it pinpoints the target is another question. I have a Ace 250 and a Minelab Explorer and they both pinpoint at the center of the coil when sweeping from left to right, but they are a little different from front to back in that they pinpoint closer to the front of the coil. I have learned so much from these folks in this forum by reading past and present posts. So far, they have been right on target with my pinpointing "sweet spot". Post what kind of detector your swinging and I'm sure someone will be able to help you.........keep on swinging........gregd573

OP
OP
S

sbrowncpr

Thanks for the reply. I WAS using a crap Bounty Hunter from Wal Mart, but my ACE 250 will be here on Wednesday

Mighty AP

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2006
Livin' in a tar-paper shack in the woods of Easter
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70, Whites QXT, Garrett Pro-Pointer, "Mighty" Diggin' Tool
Im sort of a newbie too but this is the way I understand it. When pinpointing, dig where the center of the coil is. But remember, most machines are less accurate at pinpointing the closer the object is to the coil. So if your Ace 250 pinpoints at 1 inch depth, it may or may not be dead center of your coil, it will be more accurate at say, 4 inches depth. Make sense? Bottom line, dig a few hundred coins with your Ace 250 & you will know how your machine does. Hope this helps.........& you will get it. Congrats on the 250, I have one but rarely have used it, seems like a good machine.

gregd573

Oct 23, 2005
eldridge, missouri
You will like your Ace 250 as it will do most of the things more expensive models can do. I have found clad coins, silver coins and rings and gold rings with my Ace......plus a ton of pull tabs, screw caps, etc......you get the idea. The Explorer I am learning now and the Whites IDX Pro I traded in on it found and find the same junk and good stuff. I personally believe in digging it all as there are to many objects that will fool even the best detector. My sweet spot as I said earlier is center from left to right and just behind the inner arch of the coil. You will learn as you go........best of luck to you and enjoy your machine.......looking forward to future post........gregd573

Nail Man Dan

Tenderfoot
May 17, 2006
San Diego Co.
It's a great question, cuz I've often wondered myself. All I know is my DeLeon makes the most noise (when it's in Al Metal Mode) when the target is directly under the middle of the coil.

wmas1960

May 17, 2005
Chicagoland
sbrowncpr said:
I am still new to the detecting scene, so here is my newbie question. Which part of the coil actually detects your target? If I get a hit on theground, and am trying to pinpoint, is it the middle of the coil or the part where the wire is near the back?

*#!& I was thinking the same thing last night. Fell asleep before I could post it. I have a White's XLT and was out in the yard playing around a little last night. I bought a hole plugging tool (Target Buddy) and found that as others had warned you do have to be careful as you can damage your finds. I found a penny, fortunately common and nothing special. When I pulled it out there was a scratch accross one side of it. Also found a piece of wire, Possibly a grounding wire or tie for a chainlink fence. I hit that also. I always thought it was the center of the hole on the coil? But am thinking it might not be. I have had my detector for about 5 years now and have actively been detecting for about a year now. I still am not that sure. So, it isn't a bad question.

Also, after the experiences last night, I might post my impressions of the plugging tool. It seems to work great. The plugs are totally not noticable after I put them back. Except for one or two spots where I took multiple plugs and had to piece them together to put them back. There is some bare dirt there but not bad. However, I guess, if I search again, I will try and do a few things different. If, as was the case with the penny, the depth reads under about 3" I would cut a flap with my lesche and go under the sod to carefully find the object. Most objects that I had found were right under the surface like that. Or, maybe if only 1" or 2" cut a small careful slit and feel around under the turf. Would probably find many shallow targets that way. Also, you wouldn't disrupt the ground much. If the object reads 5 - 7" though, I might then use the plugger. It has about a 4" depth to it. If the object is still in the hole, you could then carefully dig around and find it. A couple items I found yesterday. Nothing of any value unfortunately, were close enough to the edges of the innitial plug that I could use my Bullseye II to find the object and just pick them out of the bottom or the sides. Put all the dirt back in and place the plug back and nobody will know you were ever there.

In the end, I am still of the feeling that the plugger is a valuable tool for ones arsenal. It makes easy and clean holes when you need to go a little more on the deeper side. However, I would suggest also paying attention to the warnings of using it too agressively and possilby damaging your find. There are definately times when a sod knife or tool like a Lesche or a probe or even your fingers would be better. Like with any tool, each has it's appropriate use. Like using a wrench to pound a nail. Would often work but not as good as if you used a hammer. Removing or replacing screws from light switches or wall plates... and other small items with your DeWalt Hammer Drill will work but you will probably mess up the screws more than if you had just gone 6 or 8 turns of a normal screwdriver.

Knowing where the object is in relation to your coil and how you pinpoint is definately an important good first piece of information to have. Like I said, despite my belief that it was center of the hole in my coil, I found that a lot of items seem to be a little off from that. I thought it might be the bottom or heal of my coil, where the wire comes out and it attaches to the shaft. But that didn't seem quite right either. I suppose it could also be that my pinpointing has been an inch or two off also. ????

OP
OP
S

sbrowncpr

Thanks for all the replys. Glad to see that i am not the only one thinking along those lines. WMAS, good info on the plugger. I was thinking of getting one of those.

1235CE

May 23, 2006
The Beautiful Berkshires in Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
White's DFX
As for my 3 year old White's DFX, the coin (or whatever) will be dead in the center of the loop.....(maybe more difficult if your loop doesn't have a hole in the middle?).....welcome, hope you become addicted soon....

Greg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread