1800s Coin Purse Spill...And A Ghost Story (?) WARNING: DISTURBING CONTENT!

Indianhead Jones

Jul 28, 2008
Revere, Massachusetts (5 Miles North of Boston)
Detector(s) used
White's Eagle Spectrum/White's Eagle II
1800's Coin Purse Spill...And A Ghost Story (?) WARNING: DISTURBING CONTENT!

This is not a pleasant story, and I thought long and hard about posting it, but it was a hard lesson learned for me, and perhaps it will serve to convince others to avoid making the same stupid mistake that I did.

I want to assure everyone at the outset that this story is absolutely true...no lies, no embellishment. But you'll have to take my word for it.

It's about a spectacular coin purse spill recovered, and one of the most frightening days of my life.

It happened in the summer of 1986, with my detecting buddy Ken, who just passed away a few weeks ago from leukemia.

Ken had been laid off from his job, and was collecting unemployment insurance, and one Monday morning, I took a ride with him to the next town while he picked up his unemployment check. We were going to do some detecting later that day.

We arrived at the unemployment office, and I decided to take a short walk while he waited his turn in line. The town itself was, and still is, an economically-depressed, high-crime, low-income medium-size town, with a very high unemployment rate. The town went into receivership after the arrests and convictions of the Mayor and other city officials after a major corruption scandal, involving stolen city funds along with police corruption. I think you get the picture.

I walked up the street to get a cup of coffee, and as I stood outside the coffee shop, just up the street the town's original burial ground was in view. I walked over to check it out, and was horrified, to say the least at what I saw. The small cemetary, about a block square, was totally vandalized....it's ornate iron fencing torn down in places, and the entire cemetary was defaced with spray-painted graffiti, littered with liquor bottles, beer cans and other garbage, and headstones toppled and broken. I just couldn't believe what I was seeing...it was a sickening sight.

When I met up with Ken again, I took him over to see what I had seen. I then got an idea that I would come to regret.

I told him that we could possibly detect the cemetery and maybe find some old coins, as it dated back to the 1600's, but also, we could bring garbage bags with us and clean up garbage at the same time, try to right the headstones, and do whatever else we could to try and give the residents of this once-beautiful burial ground some of their dignity back. The detecting would take a back seat to the cleanup effort.

So, we set the rules: We would ONLY detect the common areas of the cemetary, and stay clear of the actual grave sites. And we would ONLY do this after we picked up as much trash and garbage as possible. It was going to take more than one day to do all this, so we decided on the first trip to pick up trash and right the headstones, and do a few minutes of detecting afterward to see if there were treasures to be found in the common areas, such as the perimeter of the fence-line, and the walking paths that criss-crossed the common areas. If it panned out, we would come back for a second trip to pick up more trash, fix headstones, and do some more detecting.

We arrived back the next Saturday morning, got out the trash bags and started to work. In a few hours, we had filled four trash bags, and had righted a section of headstones, and gathered pieces of broken stones to try and match them up. We were exhausted, so we decided to spend a short time detecting the common areas away from the actual grave sites, and hopefully find some very old coins.

WARNING! THE FOLLOWING IS VERY GRAPHIC AND DISTURBING! DON'T READ ON IF YOU ARE EASILY FRIGHTENED OR UPSET!

I started working a path around the perimeter, close to the iron fencing surrounding the cemetery. Ken started at the main gates, which also had been torn up by the vandals described earlier. I quickly found a few silver coins from the 1930's, and I realized that our hard work earlier was going to be rewarded.

I had just centered another signal which was reading in the silver range, when all of a sudden the sound in my headphones quit. I was using a Whites 6000/Di Pro, and thinking my batteries were dead, I was about to open the compartment to check them. I was shocked to discover that all the knobs on the detector were turned all the way to the minimum setting, and the main power knob was switched all the way off. This was very disturbing, and I wondered how I could have accidentally hit all 6 knobs to their minimum settings, and actually switch off the detector at the same time.

I switched the detector back on, reset all the knobs, and ground balanced again. My threshold hum came back, and everything seemed normal again, so I continued to dig the target, which turned out to be a Standing Liberty quarter...a beauty that looked almost uncirculated, and even had much of it's mint luster. I pushed on, knowing that more silver was sure to be found.

After a few minutes more, the threshold hum again disappeared, and I lifted the detector and discovered that once again, all the knobs were set at minimum, and the main power knob was again switched all the way off. At this point, I began feeling nauseated, started sweating, (it was a cool day) and felt like I might get sick. Then, I started shaking, and feeling very nervous and scared, and I didn't know why. It was a horrible feeling of dread and panic, so I started walking to the main gates to tell Ken that I was feeling sick, and that I wanted to get out of there.

I walked across the center of the cemetery towards Ken, and as I walked, I was passing a raised area where tombs were situated against a small hillside. It was then that I noticed that the tombs didn't escape the sick and twisted vandals who had desecrated this ancient burial ground. Most of the tombs had been broken into, and I walked over to see how much damage had been done. I peered into one tomb that had its door torn off, and what I saw actually made me start crying. The poor individual to whom this tomb belonged had also been desecrated. The bones had been arranged to spell out a filthy word, and this person's skull had been smashed. I couldn't take any more...I started running and vomiting at the same time, and now the scared feeling had turned to full-blown panic.

I ran towards Ken to grab him and get out of there when I heard him yelling at me, a huge smile on his face, and pointing to a pile of coins on the ground next to him. He was still taking coins out of the hole next to him, and he was so excited that he was screaming with joy. I told him to get up and move his butt (I didn't say "butt") as fast as he could toward the car. I grabbed his detector and he scooped up the coins and was swearing at me as I manhandled him out the gate and toward the car. He was furious, but I didn't have time to explain...I just dragged and dragged him until we reached the car. I grabbed his car keys and no sooner was he inside that I sped off down the street, still under his verbal attacks. He was furious to say the least.

On the way home, he showed me what he was so excited about, and I couldn't believe my eyes. He had detected the remains of a very old coin purse, and it's contents...38 beautiful old coins, only 5 of which were copper. There were bust dimes, several bust quarters, silver 3-cent pieces...all from the 1830's to the 1860's. My eyes were staring at them, my hand was holding them, but I simply could not believe that Ken had found this beautiful pile of coins, and the remains of the old coin purse that had once held them.

I was sick to my stomach all the rest of that day, and I had nightmares that night. The next day, I called Ken and related everything that had happened to me, and the heart-breaking things I had seen. I also told him that I felt as if the treasures we dug were stolen from that sacred place, and that they didn't belong to us, and should never have been disturbed. I also said that I felt great about the cleanup efforts we made there, but the things that happened to me had me convinced that the poor souls who rested there were angry, and that maybe it was their way of crying out that they had had enough of us, as well as the sick vandals who came before us. And as much as I wanted to finish the cleanup that we had started, I just couldn't go back again.

Well, nothing out of the ordinary had happened to Ken the entire time we were there, and he found all this quite amusing. We had a falling out after that. We still made detecting trips together, but things between us were never the same.

I got rid of the coins I had dug, for my own peace of mind. I actually wanted to re-bury them where I found them, but after that day, I couldn't go back there.

And Ken, who was still a novice treasure hunter, with much to learn about collector-grade coins, had taken Brillo pads and polished to a mirror-gloss, each and every one of the coins he had recovered from the coin purse spill.

I was a much younger man in 1986, and subject to stupid ideas on occasion. I actually believed that cleaning up that sad, vandalized burial ground gave Ken and I the "right" to detect there. I was wrong, and found out the hard way.

I'm sure that some people in this forum will disagree, but I believe in my heart that what happened to me that day was a true paranormal experience. The incident I described with the knobs on my detector had never happened prior to that day, and never occurred again.

I did a lot of growing up after that day, as far as being a responsible treasure hunter is concerned. There are simply places where treasure hunters and metal detectors don't belong...and burial grounds are at the top of the list.

As a footnote to this story....that sad, depressed town had more than it's share of problems. My subsequent phone calls to the officials who had taken over the jobs of running it, regarding the plight of it's burial ground, and the poor souls who rested there, fell on deaf ears. They had "other things to worry about".

Larry G.

Upvote 0

heartslayer2001

Oct 17, 2006
long prairie,mn
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, BOUNTY HUNTER 101
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: 1800's Coin Purse Spill...And A Ghost Story (?) WARNING: DISTURBING CONTENT!

My thought, Where is this graveyard?? has to be more coins there. ( just kidding) i sometimes will do an old graveyard but only outside the gate or fence, and or the road going into the graveyard. I have been told by an ole timer that he used to do it and found some good things .

dogpound

Sep 24, 2010
southeast PA
Detector(s) used
CTX3030
Re: 1800's Coin Purse Spill...And A Ghost Story (?) WARNING: DISTURBING CONTENT!

i was thinking the same thing.....where is this at? bust quarters,bust dimes and 3 cent pieces....it'll take more than a couple ghosts to keep me outa there ;D

niffler

Mar 19, 2008
Coos Bay, Oregon
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Equinox 900, DFX, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Killer B Hornets, Stealth 720i scoop
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

It's sad that the vandals had no respect for the dead. You did a good thing cleaning up, and I commend you for it. In my opinion though, coins and material things belong to the living, not the dead, so you have every right to possess them instead of the spirits. The old saying is "You can't take it with you", meaning that when you die you leave material possessions behind. I'm not saying to be a grave robber, just that by detecting respectfully in the cemetery, you weren't doing wrong to the dead. Any spirits of the dead that are still on Earth are not where they are supposed to be. That sure is a scary story, though. Niffler

SilverDawg

Jan 3, 2011

My father and I cleaned up a cemetery on a farm set up the headstones had a mason rebuild the stone fence and we still maintain it today. This cemetery is very old a revolutionary major is buried here. A friend of mine talked me into detecting it, it lasted about five minutes. I got out quick , I grew up on this farm and I played in and around this cemetery and I had never had a feeling like I did that day. So choose your detecting sights carefully , research and use your gut feeling , if you have any feelings making you think you shouldn't detect , dint detect. I didn't see anything but it was there..............

Captain Loosechange

Nov 24, 2007
Kingsport, TN
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett SeaHunter Mark II, Tesoro Stingray
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Wow, just think what must have happened to the people who did all the vandalism!! If you were treated this way after your efforts to clean up and fix everything then just think what they got!! I have had some creepy feelings in some places I have been before, too. One time I was detecting an old abandoned house that a road construction crew was using the side yard for a staging area for tiles and what not, I had been there for about 15 minutes when a car pulls in and a guy approaches me, he hands me a business card and starts trying to get permission from me to set up his "paranormal gear" inside the house which he said he had heard was "haunted". I explained that I didn't own the house and was simply detecting the yard (the house had been condemned and was property of the state/county whatever). He left and about 5 minutes later I got a sweet silver signal under a huge tree, started digging the plug, felt a sharp pain in my calf, then same pain on my shoulder, then realized I had dug into a yellow jackets nest, I made a hasty retreat and was trying to figure out how to retrieve my detector and digging tool when I was struck from behind, this scared the crap out of me, turned around and it was a pit-bull mixed dog, thankfully as playful and friendly as any dog I had ever seen, it had jumped into my back from a full run and nearly knocked me down, then it kept jumping up on me and stuff. I got a long stick, got my gear and left licking my wounds. True story!!

idigdirt

Mar 15, 2006
Epworth, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Compass xp-pro
Primary Interest:
Other

As someone who has researched the paranormal extensively, everything you have mentioned is very plausible and believable. Until someone has actually experienced the paranormal (and i have) they have no idea how strange and bizarre these things can be. So many questions in the paranormal and so very few answers....

Yellowhouse

Jun 24, 2009
South Central Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Prizm IV; MXT; Ace 250

Just me. I don't go into or near cemetaries period. A lot of old churches have cemetaries by them. The parking lot and front of the church is as far as I get.

I used to see a lot of old abandoned graveyards grown up in timber in SE GA and many had crypts. Every one had been desecrated. Why anyone would show such disrespect is beyond me.

OP
OP
Indianhead Jones

Indianhead Jones

Jul 28, 2008
Detector(s) used

Yellowhouse said:
Just me. I don't go into or near cemetaries period. A lot of old churches have cemetaries by them. The parking lot and front of the church is as far as I get.

I used to see a lot of old abandoned graveyards grown up in timber in SE GA and many had crypts. Every one had been desecrated. Why anyone would show such disrespect is beyond me.

It's the world we live in, Yellowhouse. :-\

I remember as a kid something my Dad said one day....After seeing a very sad, tragic news story involving an abducted child, he glanced at my Mom and said: "What a beautiful world it would be if there weren't any people in it".

Of course, he wasn't referring to the good, decent people...just the bad ones...I'll never forget that.

Larry G. :)

Dave44

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2006
Chesterfield, Va.
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT, Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excal II, At pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I was thinking about this topic the other day,, there is a very old and famous cemetary in Richmond where the residents used to go and have picnics and party all the time, apparently it was a normal thing here. Not all cemetaries have bad juju I guess.
The Hollywood cemetary if you wondered.

OP
OP
Indianhead Jones

Indianhead Jones

Jul 28, 2008
Detector(s) used

Dave44 said:
I was thinking about this topic the other day,, there is a very old and famous cemetary in Richmond where the residents used to go and have picnics and party all the time, apparently it was a normal thing here. Not all cemetaries have bad juju I guess.
The Hollywood cemetary if you wondered.

Yes, I seem to remember hearing about that somewhere, probably on TV.

Larry G. :)

trainer

Feb 13, 2009
Primary Interest:
Other
the paranormal site...

Hey this belongs in the paranormal site...

tenseventyfive

Apr 25, 2010

Um, detecting in a cemetary.......

isn't that called grave robbing...

(except when museums do it, of course lol)

bad, bad karma

reelred

Tenderfoot
Jan 9, 2011

well,i have had a sign from some where about not detecting near old grave sites.
there is a church that dates back to 1924 with a burial site that dates to the 1800's.
i went to check it out to see if i could get permission to detect ,but found no one. o just to let you know i own a 2007 titan that i always drove careful so as not to get a crack on my windshied.
any way after driving past this church several times ,once as i was driving towards it,as soon as i passed right in front of it, i thought to myself, i need to get permission to hunt around that church,well right at that thought, a rock or some object came out of nowhere and cracked my winshield,well i quickly felt that something did not want me detecting at that church.of course i will not hunt it !

PS,
i also found a voodoo doll at a park today,so needless to say i dropped it to the ground,freaked out and i will never go back to that park again.

Patrol

Dec 4, 2006
Northeast Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Whites Surf II, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I would not detect in a cemetery and, I feel that those who do give the hobby of metal detecting a bad image. That said, I am a conservative too but I have had experience with "spirits" and do believe Larry. I am a very rational person and educated. But, having experienced what I would call a "haunting experience" I am much more opened minded about such things now. Larry did the right thing in leaving. Some thing are much more important than money.

Talking about desecretion of the dead, I don't know how archeologists can live with themslves. I don't believe time changes the situation. When the dead were put to rest they were most likely prayed over and given an incantation that asked whoever they were praying to to watch over the dead and may they rest in peace forever. Forever is a very long time and time does not erase that wish that the dead rest in peace.

Tom

bwirth1999

Jun 23, 2007
Belvidere, IL
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

So... when you say "coin purse".. are we talking..... a pouch that coins are kept in... or are we talking the Viking version???

diggertim

Nov 16, 2007
Catasauqua PA

Amazing experience, Larry, and a great recanting of it. Personally, I would not venture into a cemetary to detect. I believe that those grounds should remain untouched, except for their purpose, and what nature has the ability to change.

diggertim

liftloop

Silver Member
May 7, 2008
lakelinden mi
Detector(s) used
MXTdeepscan 8by14dd, bulls eye 2, 5900diprosl Maxima1500, Master Hunter cx plus Treasure Hound, surf
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I believe in ghost the farther the son and the holy ghost.demons are real the devil is no laughing matter.One of my friends got caught digging up graves in the keewenaw an old cemetery called the cliffs cemetery on side of U.S 41 between Mohawk and the cliff view bar.sorry to say he ended up evolved in a lot of drugs and such flipped out several times,drank a lot,a strait A student in school could of been a doctor,ripped a mean guitar.

that were I got my nick name garbage fire.his health deteriorated and he died at a young age probably one of the biggest funeral up here,for his age,he new every buddy and every buddy new him I light candles for him when I'm at Mass.

Miss him a lot.You can have the cemetery digs not me,I don't care if my walking liberty mite be there,My luck all find a gold ring with some poor Joe's finger still attached.would that be creepy.but the gut feeling use talk a bout,I thought of seeing him,like go over their.Because I was talking to a friend of ours who said he wasn't doing to good,but i didn't,the next week he was dead.

liftloop

dogpound

Sep 24, 2010
southeast PA
Detector(s) used
CTX3030

me and a friend were detecting a property we had permission to hunt and at the end of the day the property owner stopped by to chit chat and ask what we were finding, anyway the property owner starts telling us about a small old graveyard on his farm that he wanted us to detect because he's always been curious what was there, the graveyard was from the late 1700's-early 1800's. this was very small with maybe a dozen headstones. after the property owner told us the age of the property my interest was to detect around the house and barn so we showed up the next day to take a look. as soon as we showed up the homeowner was there to greet us and was very excited for us to detect the small graveyard and walked us down to check it out, my buddy stayed outside the fenced area detecting the field as the homeowner and i walked around inside. no big deal and afterward the homeowner showed us some other potential spots on the property to hunt(the guy owned atleast a hundred acres) including around his house and also invited us to come back anytime to hunt other properties he owned. all in all it was a good day and by doing the property owner a favor opened the door to hunt several future sites. would i hunt another gravesite at the homeowners request.......absolutely

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread