What machine to buy

seeker195456

Tenderfoot
Jun 1, 2008
USA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
I am stuck with what to buy for my next metal detector. I have owned a Whites XLT and then a DFX 300. I sold both due to lake of use and now would like to get back into metal detecting.

I really have only been hunting parks and family home sites so far. But I will be getting into some beach hunting later. I will be moving to Thailand in a few years and want to hunt there also. That is where the beeches will come in.

The whites were good machines with a little bit of a learning curve but did ok. I really do not want to get much over $600 in a new machine. I have been reading a lot of good things about the new Garrett AT pro and even the Ace 350.

But like everyone else I really would like the most for my money. So I thought I would ask here for any suggestions on what machine would be good. I am willing to even look at other manufactures than Garrett or Whites. I would appreciate any help offered.

Thanks

Upvote 0

erikk

Jan 6, 2007
Punta Gorda FL
Detector(s) used
EX2',CZ7a pro,Excaliburs 1000 & 2, F-75's ,Garrett Sea Hunter & Infinium LS PI , 1235X
If I was moving to the land of the 18-22K gold I would have an excal , a Sea Hunter MK2, and another @ $1414 an oz how long do you think it will take U to break even. Especially where there are not water hunters every 100 yards.This is not the time to go cheap :icon_thumright:

liftloop

Silver Member
May 7, 2008
lakelinden mi
Detector(s) used
MXTdeepscan 8by14dd, bulls eye 2, 5900diprosl Maxima1500, Master Hunter cx plus Treasure Hound, surf
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You had to of the best detectors out there... why would you switch now.......Don't make sense to me....

ThTx

Dec 19, 2006
Combine
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Master Hunter CX Plus, Teknetics G2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have owned and used several different brands. Personally I went to Garrett machines because of the easy learning curve, excellent quality and customer service. I have NOT been disappointed in any area. I now own and use several different Garrett machines. They all perform admirably and I doubt that you can find a machine that will perform better in the same price range.

dogpound

Sep 24, 2010
southeast PA
Detector(s) used
CTX3030
if your lookin for a land/water machine i'd go with the AT pro (than again i'm a garrett fan) the AT has good discrimination, is waterproof (up to 10') and is light . if your looking for something cheaper in price and aren't planning on getting in the water over your knee's then the 350 would be a good choice, just get a good dust/rain cover for it to protect it from the surf spray. if your looking to dig less trash then i'd go with the GTI 1500 or GTP 1350 the have the size imaging, this feature will save you countless hours digging non-coin sized targets. check out ebay or craigs list you can pick one of these units up for the price your lookin for

Smudge

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2010
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
A Propointer tied to a stick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
So you want a detector for parks and the beach and you want to spend a max of $600.

I'd like to recommend the Garrett AT PRO, but I can't because I've never used one and they haven't been in use long enough by enough people to give a really good judgment on it...yet.

So here is my humble recommendations of detectors you might want to check out. Understand that if going to the beach, most of these machines will require you cut way back on sensitivity (thereby losing depth) when you reach the wet sand.

Tesoro Tiger Shark (you can only buy used ones right now as they are out of production at present)

Tesoro Cibola or Vaquero

Tesoro Silver uMax (very underestimated and inexpensive detector at $240)

Whites Matrix M6

Minelab X Terra 505

Teknetics Omega

Take a look at these and examine the forum for opinions. You might find yourself picking a completely different machine. As for me, I'm a little on the partial side towards Tesoro.

Willee

May 6, 2009
Corpus Christi, Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600 ... Fisher CZ-70 ... Deus 2 ... Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
seeker195456 said:
I am stuck with what to buy for my next metal detector. I have owned a Whites XLT and then a DFX 300. I sold both due to lake of use and now would like to get back into metal detecting.

I really have only been hunting parks and family home sites so far. But I will be getting into some beach hunting later. I will be moving to Thailand in a few years and want to hunt there also. That is where the beeches will come in.

The whites were good machines with a little bit of a learning curve but did ok. I really do not want to get much over $600 in a new machine. I have been reading a lot of good things about the new Garrett AT pro and even the Ace 350.

But like everyone else I really would like the most for my money. So I thought I would ask here for any suggestions on what machine would be good. I am willing to even look at other manufactures than Garrett or Whites. I would appreciate any help offered.

Thanks

The new Garrett AT PRO is hard to beat at $499 and free shipping.
That should be your next detector.

OP
OP
seeker195456

seeker195456

Tenderfoot
Jun 1, 2008
USA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Thanks for all of the input here. I think I may just have to go with the Garrett AT Pro for now. I know that I had owned two of the best machines out there earlier, but they just had too many bells and whistles for me. Plus at their cost I let them set around too much not being used, so I sold them when they still had plenty of value. I lost some money but not too much.

By what I am seeing on you tube and reading here, I really like the simplicity of the AT pros operation. Garrett’s reputation and service looks to be as good as any of the other major players if not better than some.

Thanks again for the input.

Willee

May 6, 2009
Corpus Christi, Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600 ... Fisher CZ-70 ... Deus 2 ... Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I would think a used Minelab Explorer II would be exactly what you need.

OP
OP
seeker195456

seeker195456

Tenderfoot
Jun 1, 2008
USA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Willee - What about that Garrett AT pro that you spoke of first? Minelab machines scare me because of the poor customer service that everyone talks about. When you spend the kind of money they ask for their detectors, service should be top notch.

I had said earlier I would go with a AT Pro, but with the machine being new, I am looking hard at a Whites M6. Having owned 2 of their top end machines before, I like the way this machine sets up. Much simpler than the others I had owned by what I see on YouTube.

Update:
I went out and pickup a Garrett AT Pro. For the money, I think it will be a good buy. I looked at it along side of a Whites M6. Garrett won out having a set of headphones, using a DD coil for its stock coil and being water proof. I think the whites is built a little better but the Garrett has just as good of service and the warranty is the same length.

Now spring just needs to get here to really tell if I made the right choice.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread