new to this

mountaintramp

Tenderfoot
Mar 19, 2011
i'm new to metal detecting. today i bought a used White's 5900/Di pro plus. i read through the manual and i' stumped. i set it up using their "simplified instructions" and either somethings wrong with my detector or it's a lot harder to use than i'm thinking. i can't even "find" my knife even though it's sitting out in the open. if i set the sensitivity know full clockwise i get a broken audio signal, and the meter goes full right. doing the same thing i can't get a signal from a penny. i'm doing all this in my front room. i know this is kind of a short discription of what's happening, so if you ask some questions i can answer, which may help identify problems. i have the Blue Max deep scan 950 and 600 disks, and the machine looks to be in really good shape.

Upvote 0

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You need to get outside to try it. All the metal in a normal house will throw everything out of kelter. Monty

River Rat

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
SE Louisiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Ace 250 & Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Monty said:
You need to get outside to try it. All the metal in a normal house will throw everything out of kelter. Monty

Outside is the place to be.

OP
OP
M

mountaintramp

Tenderfoot
Mar 19, 2011
River Rat said:
Monty said:

Outside is the place to be.

yeah, i figured that out. i realized the nails and my wood stove are probably freaking it out. i'll have to wait a while, we're supposed to get snow tonight, and it was too cold for fun today. man, am i ready for spring.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to Tnet. :hello:

Besides trying it outside, make sure the batteries are fresh and inserted right. Check the pins on the plugs for damage and inserted right when plugged in again. Does it make noise if the coil is still and the coil cable is wiggled? When you turn it on, hold the on/off button till you hear a couple beeps which resets the detector to factory settings. At least if it is messed up White's will fix it for you.

What I expect the problem is that he may have a security system or dog fence or a neighbor may have one operating. http://www.fisherlab.com/hobby/davejohnson/Electrical Interference.htm

Good Luck,
Sandman

OP
OP
M

mountaintramp

Tenderfoot
Mar 19, 2011
thanks all, i can't wait to get out there. right now it's storming like crazy! it's so windy in all directions, sometimes the snow is going up. :coffee2:
i'll probably go down to one of the old homesteads in the desert in a few days.

OP
OP
M

mountaintramp

Tenderfoot
Mar 19, 2011
i got a chance to give it a try this morning. i only spent about 15 minutes, since i didn't go anywhere good, and it was cold there. the detector seems to work well using just the "simple instructions" where all the knobs are pointing at the P in the triangle. i was finding bottle caps in no time! :headbang: can't wait to go someplace promising.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
If you are going to be using that in the disc. mode (and not the all-metal, aka pinpoint mode), then be sure you have a fast clip motion swing to the coil. You can mimic this, by propping the machine up on a wooden chair or other such table type thing, away from all metals, nails, etc.... Then wave a coin in front of the machine. Make note of how the target responds, with different target swing speeds (ie.: the speed of the motion of your hand). Try everything from a sleeeoooww pass, to a fast whip. Now try with different depths (mimicked by different distances of your coin from the coil). You will notice that it goes deeper with a faster swing, on that particular Whites series. And see what happens when you slow to a crawl (hand moving very slow): the target crackles up, dissapears, etc... Thus the same will be true in the field, outside: The coil swing speed mimics your hand speed of an inside air test.

liftloop

Silver Member
May 7, 2008
lakelinden mi
Detector(s) used
MXTdeepscan 8by14dd, bulls eye 2, 5900diprosl Maxima1500, Master Hunter cx plus Treasure Hound, surf
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to T'net you have a good detector there learn to ground balance it that is a must hunt in all metal mon the needle will still tell you what it is.good luck and post your find,that there is my favorite relic detector I own it beats the pants off my mxt when it come's to dept i found some deep targets 3 to 4 foot deep and it i deed them right on.one of the best detector White's ever made.

OP
OP
M

mountaintramp

Tenderfoot
Mar 19, 2011
i have 2 coils. one is a Blue Max 600 the other is a Deep Scan 950. what are each best for. is this model good for gold nuggets and meteorites?

liftloop

Silver Member
May 7, 2008
lakelinden mi
Detector(s) used
MXTdeepscan 8by14dd, bulls eye 2, 5900diprosl Maxima1500, Master Hunter cx plus Treasure Hound, surf
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Which 5900 the black box or blue the 950 is the stock coil that it came with the black box from the factory the 800 is an 8 inch after market probably a little better in a trashy are. I run the 15" blue max that loop can be a little tricky if there under ground water pipes and piles of trash about,but other than that i can find my four wheeler at a bout three feet a way.it likes bottle cap if your not used of the detector iron has a faster tone copper silver has a smoother a little slower tone if you get a deep target and you dug down all ready 2 feet make sure your not in the middle of an old tire or a barrel ring.
But a good way to tell if it's a good target stand the detector straight up and down with the loop in the hole and turn the detector 360 if it's iron the signal will cut out if it's silver or copper it will keep reporting with out a break in signal.you can look for gold they say and meteorite.but I think you need a fa-rite sample for gold it tells you in the Manuel and meteorites will i.d iron nickel i think.
Never found either one with my 5900 just lots of float copper.learn to ground balance in G.E.B norm that's the trick,keep pushing the single in to the ground by turning it to the right and ground balancing it.all ways pull the tiger it re-tunes the detector they like to drift.keep you thresh hold low just noticeable so the moment it see some then it will rise if it too loud you might miss some deep targets.
And If your walking a long and the needle pegs to the right the detector saw some then but you have too stop and search that em-edit area there some thean there and you just caught a little piece of it. It could be iron or it could some then good the detector didn't see enough of it to tell you what it was. but it saw some than.hope that helps to bad we live so far a way I would like to show you first hand. the lower the treas-hold sound the better it detects.

I hope you got that, liftloop

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions