How OFTEN do you see other detectorists in your City / Town?

joeman

Mar 19, 2011
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro, BH 840 VLF-TR
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
How OFTEN do you see other detectorist's in your City / Town?

Do you guys/gals REALLY get so many people detecting in your Cities and Towns?

I'm REALLY curious as to this question, because I live in a CITY of over 1,000,000 People and I have seen ONLY 1 (one) other person using a Metal Detector in the LAST 26 years! Now to be fair, I'm just getting back into it, but even when driving around, visiting Parks, Lakes and Picnic Day trips, I see NOBODY. I know what you're thinking,... that this sounds like a bunch o' Crap, but it's true!
As an example, I live 'RIGHT NEXT DOOR' to my Kid's Elementary School. So close in fact, that I could 'literally' Toss him over our fence, onto the School property! There are at least 8 other schools within short walking distance and I've NEVER seen a person with a Detector in the 10 YEARS that I've been living in this neighborhood. Could it simply be a matter of Location and Numbers, seeing as how I live in a BIG Country with a MUCH smaller population and that Metal Detecting is VERY seasonal for the Hobby (5 or 6 months MAXIMUM) ??

Cheers,

Upvote 0

mlayers

Gold Member
Oct 29, 2007
Northern, OH
Detector(s) used
DFX, White PI, Bounty Hunter, Whites Surfmaster II and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

UTcoinshootR

Mar 5, 2008
UT!
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, DFX300
Re: How OFTEN do you see other detectorist's in your City / Town?

I live in N. Utah and it is impossible for me to beat these retired old timers to a new tear out of an old area. I still find good things where they were sometimes, but they absolutely know what they are doing. I see at least 1 a month in my area in the summer. The retired guys are the ninjas of our hobby. They are out there at sunrise and gone by 8am lol.

Dirty Money

Sep 21, 2010
Saginaw, MI
Detector(s) used
White's MX5 w/ 8X6 SEF, Garrett Pro-Pointer, X-Terra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

In a town of 45K, I have yet to see another detectorist. Yet, my son-in-law sees one doing a school tot lot on his way home all the time. I know there are more out there, because of all the damage in some old relic sites, and open holes in a few of the old parks I work. If I ever meet them, I'll need a new detector, because I'll wrap mine around their head for all the damage they've done >:( :icon_pirat:

dogpound

Sep 24, 2010
southeast PA
Detector(s) used
CTX3030

the only time i've seen another person at a public area was after a fair or carnival

LI Tom

Bronze Member
Oct 19, 2006

In LI and NYC on the beaches almost always 1 or more there.In parks it's every so often.

Cherokee_Kidd

Feb 16, 2010
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Well I detect in over a dozen small towns in my area and have never ran into another detectorist. I know there are a couple in my area but I've never seen them out detecting .

Daedalus

Feb 2, 2011
Strafford , Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT / MineLab X-Terra 705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

In my home town I have seen one other lady detecting and that was Ten years ago !
I know there are more around as they call me and ask where the old Spanish and French mines are located at .
But I never run into anyone , But I have seen where a few have come by that must have been from out of town because they left large holes all over the place where one old mine is located at.
Most of the good places where the old settlers built there homes at are in a place that can not be found very easy , and you have to know where it is or just about have a guide to take you into the area .

Now that you have asked this question I had to think about it and it seems most of the heavy areas were people go are along the East coast and the South and Gulf regions .

Up in the mid west there does not seem to be that many per the amount of people . But I bet that changes as this hobby is getting spoken about more , and I have seen some stories on the local news about it and what was found. That always has new people heading for the nearest Detector Store !

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

onbrake said:
Just last week ran in to two guys with Minelabs.They told me the big wooded area was hunted out and they looked mad about it.I only had 45 minutes to hunt with my O8 found 2 IH,s and 3 silver dimes.

Did you ever consider they may have lied and told you that to try to discourage you from hunting there.....

onbrake

Greenie
Feb 15, 2011
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ,O8,XLT,IDX PRO.

I watched them dig up a bike part 3 inches down and he was mad about it he thought it was a silver quarter.He just threw it on the side and left.I dug a IH right next to it 2 min later.

clovis97

Silver Member
Dec 9, 2010

I can't hardly believe the stuff I'm reading on this thread.

You can't hardly swing a coil here without hitting another detectorist.

I live in a small town of 20,000, and I've seen more MD'ers in the past few years than you could imagine. Finding coins in tot lots is nearly impossible. I found a single dime 7 inches deep last week, and felt fortunate.

At our local park, sometimes I think you could count more detectorists than you could kids on the playgrounds!!!!

And seeing all those cut plugs just drive me insane!!!!

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other

I like these types of threads, they always attract a lot of attention.

I mentioned above that in our general area we see plenty of hunters, but, like some others posted--this doesn't mean all the loot has been found.

I think some sites are very close to useless to hunt due to heavy detecting mostly back a decade or two. THing was actually more popular in the 90's than today (in certain areas). And don't let anyone kid you, those 90's Whites, Fishers, Garretts, etc., found stuff deep. But actually, if one lives in an old area with a history of heavy people traffic one has a great chance even today of making significant finds (even with heavy hunting).

Most people hunt way too fast and don't cover an area well. There's this psyological thing where people almost always hunt the same basic places at any given site. I've made killings hunting the yards across the street from small town parks. Back 100 years ago all these places had large parades and carnivals especially in the week of the 4th of July celebration. I've also made a killing hunting ditches. Very few ever think of them.

There are still finds for those who are aggressive today but it's not as easy as it once was.

treasurefiend

Gold Member
Mar 17, 2008
Chicago IL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Excal_II Minelab_Explorer_SE_Pro w/ SunRay pinpointer & Garrett_Ace250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Every time I hunt :tongue3: my biggest competition lives 1 block from me (Lookn4seated & DDub), Chicago has 2 large MD clubs, the biggest has probably 200 members and the other has about 100 then there are the rest of us that aren't a member of the clubs. Within 2 miles of me I have 18 hunting buddies that MD and were all fighting to get the same coins. :icon_pirat: :icon_pirat: :icon_pirat:

leatherneck

Apr 20, 2009
St. Petersburg, Fl.
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug DP

Check the local metal detecting laws for your city and see if they are not there because it's against some law. If it isn't then go to the library and do some research on the history of old houses, farms, ghost towns, mines, churches etc. and go there (if it's legal or you have permission) and maybe you will find them. Join a local metal detecting club. Good luck

Smudge

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2010
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
A Propointer tied to a stick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Sadly, here in Orlando, almost every schoolyard is closed off to outside people. Completed fenced in.

They must be fearing the two legged pradators around here.

Directly to your question, I do occassionally see other detectorists, but they are almost always at the beach.

Rarely do I see anyone inland.

Thank goodness because I hate competition. ;D

clearblk

Greenie
Mar 21, 2011

About 32,000 people in my town here in southeastern ,Ma. Lived here for almost 30 years and two weeks ago I spotted 2 guys hunting a private field. First time I have noticed detectorists in the area.

CanadianTrout

May 21, 2007
Canada
Detector(s) used
Ace 250

Joeman: I'd be interested to know what large city you are in. Just out of curiosity.

I live in Ontario in a large city (pop. about a 200,000+). I have only started detecting 2 yrs ago and have hit a wide variety of places in and around town. Tot-lots, parks, open spaces, farms, and along a large river in the area.

You guessed it.... I have not seen ONE other detectorist. Ever. Not a one..... weird.

CrazySlasher

Jul 6, 2010
SS of MA.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Minelab E-Trac w/Sunray probe and 15' WoTcoil.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

clearblk said:
About 32,000 people in my town here in southeastern ,Ma. Lived here for almost 30 years and two weeks ago I spotted 2 guys hunting a private field. First time I have noticed detectorists in the area.

What town are you from?

Edit: I see another post you said you from N Attleboro. Know the area well and worked there for a while.

gold fever pete

Jun 1, 2010
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

A lot of the folks here didn't say where they were from. I am from So Cal. When I go to any beach lately I see at least a minimum of 2 to 4 guys besides me. There is a school right at the end of my street and I have seen 6 to 7 different guys working it. I laugh because I watch what goes on there and know which of the baseball fields to hit. And I do. One guy told me someone has really cleaned up this school. Couldn't resist the temptation I had to tell him----It was meeeeeee. lol. To answer short = yes a lot.

donj

Feb 13, 2011
southwestern, va.
Detector(s) used
Nokta Fors CoRe, garretts gti2500, gtp1350 minelab 30 whites coinmaster 3 and a DFX300.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

HI, Beside my wife i've seen 2 other people in my local park but................the city doesn't mow very often anymore. about once every 28 days well they mowed monday and it was such a big deal that the news covered it. My wife and I were there and they interviewed her and took shots of us detecting. The footage was shown that night at 7pm now im afraid that all the fence sitters will jump in and start coming to my park. Well, if they do I hope they learn to dig first. :laughing7:
Donj

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread