Coin Garden Questions

Buried Crap NJ

Dec 5, 2009
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, Minelab Excalibur II, Minelab GT,Compass XP-Pro,Fischer 1210X
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Ok I have a coin garden its 19 yrs old. Its well set up lots of coins to many to list. Its my second in 38 years. I have coins on edge deep with iron ect. Problem....
I lost the key for the coins I have know clued to which each is where or how deep on edges ect.
I can find most of them and know what some are, but not all of them I know.
If I dig them up will I ruin 19 years of halo effect and have to start over? I might not have 19 years left,yikes! I thought i read you can pour salt over your garden to force age????
Any help would be great. I know as soon as i dig it up Ill find the key, happens all the time. I put it where I wouldn't loose it.LOL!

Upvote 0

occupant

Tenderfoot
Apr 28, 2011
This sounds like a great excuse to buy a new detector! Think the wife will fall for it??
HH
Roger

extractor

Silver Member
Sep 27, 2007
Sal Sagev Adaven
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC,,,, SOVEREIGN GT,,,, GP 3500,,,,
GB PRO.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
occupant said:
This sounds like a great excuse to buy a new detector! Think the wife will fall for it??
HH
Roger
Who says she has to know ???????????
oooo Iv'e had this one for years ,,, just never bring it out much.
oooo Im borrowing it from so an so.
oooo it is my buddys
:laughing7: :laughing7: :laughing7: :laughing7: :laughing7:
Just kidding...... or am I ?

I would keep looking for the list and not dig up the garden. :coffee2:

mrwilburino

May 7, 2010
Northern Ohio
Detector(s) used
Fisher, Teknetics, Minelab, XP
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Buried Crap NJ said:
If I dig them up will I ruin 19 years of halo effect and have to start over?

That's a possibility. I don't know how many years it takes for the halo effect to kick in :icon_scratch: but I would hate to have you find out the hard way. Keep looking for that key!

47thelement

Bronze Member
Jan 8, 2009
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excal, ACE 250 for my son
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok since the title is coin garden questions...

I have one... What the heck is a coin garden?

Make that two. Why do I want/need one?

U.K. Brian

Bronze Member
Oct 11, 2005
Detector(s) used
XLT, Whites D.F., Treasure Baron, Deepstar, Goldquest, Beachscan, T.D.I., Sovereign, 2x Nautilus, various Arado's, Ixcus Diver, Altek Quadtone, T2, Beach Hunter I.D, GS 5 pulse, Searchman 2 ,V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You don't need the suggested bed of a variety of objects/different coins unless you have been sucked into believing that meter or tone I.D. works. If you do believe you can try to remember the responses of different targets and could even find it of some use as long as you don't go to another area where the mineralisation is different or the items are shallower/deeper, at a different angle or more corroded.

Much more useful is a bed of the same item, say a copper coin buried at ever increasing depths. You can then tell instantly if your detector or coil is going off tune, a third party coil works better than the stock or a modification to settings really works. Also compare a detector that has both standard "bleep and dig" and tone options and see which mode I.D.'s good items as iron first.

P

pastorals

But don't forget....you still have to water and fertilize the garden regularly ;o)

Alan

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread