Cheap Underwater Detector

CrazySlasher

Jul 6, 2010
SS of MA.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Minelab E-Trac w/Sunray probe and 15' WoTcoil.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Upvote 0

Daedalus

Feb 2, 2011
Strafford , Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT / MineLab X-Terra 705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If I was you I would look for a used detector like you are wanting. For what you would pay for a new water proof detector that is in the lower type of units you could buy a very good used model .

Other than that you will have to look at all online as we do not know what the amount is you want to spend.
But the water detectors normally cost more than the land units .

I myself would suggest that you save and get the AT-Pro , that way you would get a good detector that will last and that you can use on land also.
Look at that one and see what you think of the price . Getting the cheapest will most likely end up costing you more as it will not do what you want and you will be back buying a better one in no time .

OP
OP
CrazySlasher

CrazySlasher

Jul 6, 2010
SS of MA.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm honestly looking in the 500.00 range. I really can't afford anything more right now. The AT pro is totally submersible? I have no need for another land detector (unless someone wants to donate a GPX 5000 to me)

joeman

Mar 19, 2011
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro, BH 840 VLF-TR
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
CrazySlasher said:
I'm honestly looking in the 500.00 range. I really can't afford anything more right now. The AT pro is totally submersible? I have no need for another land detector (unless someone wants to donate a GPX 5000 to me)

Submersible to 10 feet (probably 20) and I think you can pick it up for $495.00 through 'Forum Member Specials' (it's how I bought mine..). You can also get some really good specials through other means, but they usually cost you more, but load you up on stuff for 'beginners'.

**Also, I would HIGHLY suggest you add the Waterproof Headphones, or the 'adapter jack' if you already have waterproof headphones.**

I would think that the ONLY other option besides the AT PRO is a decent used Water Detector.

Cheers,

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You should look at a used Fisher 1280. You can sometimes find these at garage sales, estate sales or pawn shops. Fisher still can repair these if broken. Always take 8 AA batteries with you to test the thing. Sellers usually don't have batteries installed so you don't know what you buying, but the ones that just have to give up the hobby are proud of their equipment and will demonstrate it for you.

Smudge

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2010
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
A Propointer tied to a stick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If you are going to stick to fresh water (no salt water beaches), you might want to look at a used Tesoro Tiger Shark.

Now that Tesoro is producing them again, the price of a used one ought to be coming down considerably.

pat-tekker-cat

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2011
S. Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Garrett, Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The cat says Sand Shark, Tesoro. That's cause I'm a salt-water kitty. But i'm kinda partial, in that it found me the BIGGEST diamond and HEAVIEST gold, I've found to date. Used a friends for 3 weeks, WOW, got a lot of bobby opins, but hey, like 14 rings in 3 weeks. I found enough to fford an Excall. My next back-up machine will be Sand Shark. Ya'll have fun!

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Where are you located? Some cheaper units will work just fine where there is low meneralization, but in other areas of the country they simply won't function well because of the limited features and the high copper and/or iron content in the ground, as is often encountered around the northern part of the Great Lakes region, etc. Heck, this same thing can even be said of some of the more expensive units. The ocean isn't the only place where you can run into meneralization issues. Just food for thought.

OP
OP
CrazySlasher

CrazySlasher

Jul 6, 2010
SS of MA.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
bigscoop said:
Where are you located? Some cheaper units will work just fine where there is low meneralization, but in other areas of the country they simply won't function well because of the limited features and the high copper and/or iron content in the ground, as is often encountered around the northern part of the Great Lakes region, etc. Heck, this same thing can even be said of some of the more expensive units. The ocean isn't the only place where you can run into meneralization issues. Just food for thought.

South shore of Massachusetts.

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In just freash water I am with Sandman on the 1280x . Built like a tank and pretty deep. I hunt salt water so I just sold mine . Really a good machine and you can find older ones for $250-350 . Well worth the money for freash water but really noisey in salt water.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread