Tesoro Discrimination Issues?

C

Charles Miller

Well, I should have known it was too good to be true... I received my Tesoro Tiger Shark a couple of weeks ago, tuned and balanced it by the book, and have been using it to explore my own property here in the piedmont of North Carolina. Lot of iron hits, some brass oil lamp fittings, a few wheaties (26, 46 and 53), and more iron hits.

Don't get me wrong, some of these are really interesting bits of iron --- many square nails, for instance, which are about a hundred years old or older, and a thin-pressed tin fish (like an emblem, maybe), amongst other junk. Lot of more modern pocket spills of coinage; but, strangely enough, no aluminum tabs. Not even one.

This represents only a very small area of the total property (which is a half-acre in my back yard alone), and I have much, much more detecting to do; however, I was becoming concerned that the Tesoro wasn't discriminating properly. I know, it sounds like a beginner's frustration, but I was pretty much convinced that the Tesoro was malfunctioning. Even with sensitivity and discrimination adjusted by the book, I was getting really hard iron hits when I should have been getting only copper, silver and gold. This thing is supposed to be able to filter out iron to 100% silence.

Yet, I tested the thing with pure gold, pure silver and pure iron, and it was still barking at iron with discrimination cranked all the way up.

So, I wrote to James Gifford at Tesoro, described the perceived problem, and was sort of relieved when he wrote back to say it definitely sounded defective. Fortunately, the Tesoros carry a lifetime warranty, he took it back in for service or replacement with no argument whatsoever, all shipping expenses waived, and I should have the thing back in my hands within a matter of days.

QUESTION: Anyone else out there have this sort of experience with Tesoros, particularly the waterproof ones?

I bought the Tiger Shark for dual use on dry land or in salt water environments (I'm a big beachcomber, from way back), and because the Tiger Shark had an overwhelming majority of positive field tests and customer reviews. I'm not going to give up on it so early --- I'll make this thing pay for itself if it takes ten years. I just try to keep a positive attitude and don't give up that easily.

;)

Upvote 0

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I own an use a Tiger Shark and prefer to use the Clean Sweep Coil with it on the beach since it covers a large footprint. Mine discriminates properly. However for most of my water and beach hunting I like using the Minelab Excal 1000. At least with the Tiger Shark you may change coils which is great for a water machine.

HH,

Sandman

Sir Gala Clad

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I own an use a Tiger Shark and prefer to use the Clean Sweep Coil with it on the beach since it covers a large footprint. Mine discriminates properly. However for most of my water and beach hunting I like using the Minelab Excal 1000. At least with the Tiger Shark you may change coils which is great for a water machine.

HH,

Sandman

"for most of my water and beach hunting I like using the Minelab Excal 1000" Why?:dontknow:

Have you had a chance to break in your Excal ll 1000, if so how does it compare with the Excal 1000?

Last edited:

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Me thinks the machine might be operating correctly, and you are operating it incorrectly. Even though you say you've read and followed the directions thoroughly, yet ....... sometimes there's things that are best seen and heard. Ie.: there are some things that no amount of printed instructions can convey. Because they are sound-related (can't describe sounds in printed text), or that they are easily mis-construed by the reader, etc....

Can you hook up with someone who's proficient with that particular machine ? Flag signals, and take turns sweeping over them to evaluate. See how they set their controls. See how they swing to isolate. Listen to what sounds they're trying to isolate. Note what they'd pass, versus what they'd chase, etc.....

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
PS: The "Tiger" Shark is a FRESH water machine, NOT a Saltwater machine. Yes, I know it has a "Saltwater" mode, but the mode just dumbs down the sensitivity of the machine, which loses depth in a saltwater enviroment. The Tiger is a specialized lake and river machine, while the "Sand" Shark is a saltwater pulse induction machine (no discrimination). Also, "James" Gifford, no longer works for the family company, and hasn't for several years. You most likely heard from Vince Gifford, the President and Chief Engineer.

Best of luck to you!

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Somehow I don't think the OP is still interested. This topic was drug up from 8 years ago. Why I don't know.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
good catch enamel. I hadn't even looked at the dates when adding my .02c.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"for most of my water and beach hunting I like using the Minelab Excal 1000" Why?:dontknow:

Have you had a chance to break in your Excal ll 1000, if so how does it compare with the Excal 1000?
Though this is an older Thread, I'll answer. Not long after [ made the post above I had a stroke and after recovery I came to Michigan. Not long after I bought the Excal II, I traded it for two laptops and a desktop. Since I can only hunt freshwater now, my 4 water units suit me well. Remember that with inland swim areas swimmers are confined to smaller areas and there are more gold rings per time spent. I only used the Excal II one time before trading it. Flies and Baits 163.jpg However, this is one of our beaches that opened after Labor Day.

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Holy Smoke! Not much of a chance with that many looters!

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
Though this is an older Thread, I'll answer. Not long after [ made the post above I had a stroke and after recovery I came to Michigan. Not long after I bought the Excal II, I traded it for two laptops and a desktop. Since I can only hunt freshwater now, my 4 water units suit me well. Remember that with inland swim areas swimmers are confined to smaller areas and there are more gold rings per time spent. I only used the Excal II one time before trading it.However, this is one of our beaches that opened after Labor Day.
I never seen that many hunters in any of the fresh water around here … Looks like rush hour on the freeway.. Sandman you mean that your Excalibur was so bad you got rid of it ?

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Keppy the Excal II I traded was an extra one as I still had the Excal 1000 along with the others.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread