what is the best MD to for a newbie

ammo_u

Nov 25, 2009
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been looking into the subject for some time and just wanted a little advice from those who have "been there done that". I do arrowhead hunting and know of some old home sites and trail markers. I also plan to do a little coin hunting in the park, swimming beach, and of course hit some old home sites. I also know of a site where people were swimming from pre-statehood days until around the 70's when the lake in my area was constructed. Basically I have some good sites that have never or rarely been hit.

I keep thinking possibly the ACE 250 because it seems like a good unit to start with that is not hard to learn how to use. I am now a DAV so reading up on the subject and watching instructional videos is not a problem. But I am open to any and ALL advice on anything that will help me get this going. I am not against spending a little more money for a better unit but do not want to get overwhelmed.

I recently learned of a program where a VA program will buy DAV's items for hobby use to keep us motivated for day to day life and I am going to try and see if they will spot me a MD...Was told they gave someone 8,000 to start a garden...so I'm gonna toss a request their way!

I am going to meet with them tomorrow so thank you for any advice in advance.

Upvote 0

okdiggermark

Nov 7, 2011
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Garrett Pro-Pointer, Lesche...
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yes, the Garrett Ace 250 would be a great machine not only to start on, but also refine skills with. It'll grow with you for quite a ways. Get a quality Garrett ProPointer to go with it and a Lesche digging tool, and a finds back to wear. Enjoy!

Mzjavert

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2011
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Mark IV
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
There are lots of good choices. The big key is to learn your detector.

I favor Tesoro's (lifetime warranty) and a Cibola is in my future (after a belt a cataletic converter for my truck).

I've also had very good luck with White's machines. An MXT would do all you want and is not overly complicated.

The Ace 250 is very popular and one you'd have good fun with. The one annoying thing is that it can be sctizophrenic on junk targets.

Fishers also have a good reputation, but I've never owned one.

George (MN)

May 16, 2005
There's no one correct answer to best. But a Garrett Ace 250 is an OK starter unit. The Garrett AT Pro will go 2"-4" deeper than the Ace 250 & ID on deeper coins is more accurate & can go to 10' underwater but costs $500+ new + $85 if you want the underwater headphones.

There are hundreds of use detectors for sale at any given moment. Might be on forums or that big auction site.. i buy most detectors used but the AT Pro I bought new as I couldn't stand to wait. It IDed a 7" dime correctly in my soil which is very good result. Best wishes, George (MN)

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Gateway to the 1000 Islands
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
Look at your wallet, can you spend 2 franklins, or 5? No matter really, you have a tough go just learning tectin. And finding a good spot. Probably you will upgrade if you get the bug. So the question is moot.

okdiggermark

Nov 7, 2011
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
gleaner1 said:
Look at your wallet, can you spend 2 franklins, or 5? No matter really, you have a tough go just learning tectin. And finding a good spot. Probably you will upgrade if you get the bug. So the question is moot.

LOL!!! Speak it Gleaner, speak it! Dang you have a way with words Sir!

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
okdiggermark said:
gleaner1 said:

LOL!!! Speak it Gleaner, speak it! Dang you have a way with words Sir!

That was plan 'C' answer. Really, honestly, the best answer is: A good used machine that your buddy sold you and will gladly show you how to use, which is answer 'A'. Answer 'B' is: any good beginners machine made by a decent manufacturer. Read the owners manual! But at the end of the day, these are just opinions about a question that cannot possibly be answered with much meaning, relatively speaking. I guess. ???

OP
OP
A

ammo_u

Nov 25, 2009
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My first job in the USAF was test and configuration of missile systems both conventional and non, so I am a little savvy with sensitive electronics. I have the time to learn being that I was hurt and given the medical boot I basically exist for a living. I am not to worried about the money. I want a MD that comes recommended for newbies like myself. I have some nice spots. I have zero friends who use a MD so I am basically on my own.

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
Ace 250 is a sure bet, as well as other decent newb machines. Study the basics of metal detecting. You will be good to go, just do it. Be patient, yet determined.

okdiggermark

Nov 7, 2011
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
gleaner1 said:
Ace 250 is a sure bet, as well as other decent newb machines. Study the basics of metal detecting. You will be good to go, just do it. Be patient, yet determined.

Do yo self favor kid.... Listen to the GleanMeister!!!

goldentruth

Nov 3, 2011
French Gulch, North Calif.
Detector(s) used
"WHITES" GOLDMASTER "GMT" & "TESORO GOLDEN SABRE II" with silent search.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Check the phone book for metal detecting clubs and ask if you can go on a outing with a club to see people in action using their fav metal detectors, many will be glad for you to be there.(Especially if they get lucky!) They all are basic but several will have their own way to dig and classify(seperate form dirt & rocks). Plan B. you can find out places rent out detectors for the day or weekend. (By me Old west Gun & Loan rents the "Whites" Line.)
Besides the fresh air & excercise and getting out of the house, it is fun because you don't know what you may find!
By the way "gleaner1" & "okdiggermark" are good & honest people to listen to on this site. Happy Hunting and welcome!

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The ace 250 is a winner or the tesoro machines rock as well. I have a Cibola and a Vaquaro and both are great all around machines with good depth.I have also owned two ace 250s. The 250 is a neat machine and does have some high dollar features to boot.

okdiggermark

Nov 7, 2011
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
goldentruth said:
Check the phone book for metal detecting clubs and ask if you can go on a outing with a club to see people in action using their fav metal detectors, many will be glad for you to be there.(Especially if they get lucky!) They all are basic but several will have their own way to dig and classify(seperate form dirt & rocks). Plan B. you can find out places rent out detectors for the day or weekend. (By me Old west Gun & Loan rents the "Whites" Line.)
Besides the fresh air & excercise and getting out of the house, it is fun because you don't know what you may find!
By the way "gleaner1" & "okdiggermark" are good & honest people to listen to on this site. Happy Hunting and welcome!

Much obliged Pilgrim. You can call me Mark.

Smudge

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2010
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
A Propointer tied to a stick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Lots of folks love the Ace 250. I didn't. Felt the recovery time was too slow, the target id too inaccurate, and pinpointing was a pain. Just my feeling. Lots of good folks might disagree with me. The Ace 250 is really popular and people are making good finds with it.

Started using the Tesoro Silver and the Compadre. Great detectors. Lifetime warranty, quick recovery. Tone only, no screen to lie to you. Dig junk, but dig lot of good stuff too. :icon_thumleft:

kayden

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Ace250,AT Pro & Garrett Propointer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Stick with a top brand name & you wont go wrong (they are all good) I myself have an Ace250 I think its great for what i do..another nice part of owning the Ace250 is there is thousands of videos on youtube that well help with the learning curve!

OP
OP
A

ammo_u

Nov 25, 2009
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for all the advice guys I really appreciate it. No one in my area of Oklahoma sales Garrett so if I want their product I will have to order one. Whites and a few others are sold in different stores around Tulsa. Time to make a choice! Happy hunting all!!!!!!!!!!!111

OP
OP
A

ammo_u

Nov 25, 2009
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
After some research and calling different dealers and clubs I think the Cibola will be my first unit.

okdiggermark

Nov 7, 2011
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
ammo_u said:
After some research and calling different dealers and clubs I think the Cibola will be my first unit.

That should be an excellent machine. Just learn it.

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
ammo_u said:

That will get the trick done its a coin magnet and likes gold rings. Now the hard part.......

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread