Does anyone know any "metal detecting" gossip?

OP
OP
I

iCandy

Aug 19, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Does anyone know any "metal detecting" gossip?

Who are you asking?

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Gateway to the 1000 Islands
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
Re: Does anyone know any "metal detecting" gossip?

I feel like typing. I know of a guy that found a quarter eagle digging a driveway for blacktop. Of course, he was not metal detecting at that particular time. Another gentleman I know picked a 1797 half dime next to the road while he was walking his dog. No metal detector involved. Another story, a friend of mine, she found an 1809 LC in EF condition in the bare dirt floor of her basement, no tector needed. Additionally, she worked as a flagger on a big road rebuild next to an old train station, her co-worker was a tectorist and pulled about thirty silver from the sidewalk area. When I first started tectin, my buddy borrowed my old Garrett and we hit his grandmother's house here in town. We were tectin for about one minute and he digs an 1809 LC, G4 condition, you could clearly make out the date. This is not a typo, I know of two people that have found 1809 LC's, the odds of that are astronomical. This tectin bud of mine also found a 177x? Machins Mills with that old Garrett next to an old foundation. He always ribs me about finding the oldest coin, but I have about three hundred silvers on him so I just tell him to shut his cake hole. Another time a complete newb buddy of mine borrowed the old Garrett and we went back to the foundation near the Machins Mills find and he pulls out an old 1850's Canada copper token, from the gaps in the foundation stones that were still stacked up, his first and last metal detecting find, all in about ten minutes. He dont do tectin, I guess he just didnt think it panned out enough, or something, who knows? Talk about beginners' luck. Another time, the rock star punk that lived downstairs from me (whom I wanted to kill because they would party all night, but I broke down and said "If I cant beat em, join em", but that is another story) asked to borrow my Garrett and I says sure, he comes back the next day with a Walker, this guy only had my two minute lesson. I have the world record for silver recovery time. I got my brand new cz in Nov 93, went out to the new spot we found, an old park, first hunt, new spot, new tector, freak winter January thaw, it was in the upper fifties, turned it on very first time to hunt with it, and found a 1898 dime in about ten seconds. I think I almost sharted on that one, my buddy thought I was pulling a prank. The speedy silver find in retrospect is very strange, because we never found another silver out of there, but just enough indian cents to make me want to go back. The last coin outa there that I know of is a 1850O half dime, and the guy that found that coin also got a seated quarter long ago outa there, but no other silver. I pulled an 1859 Canada cent out of there and about six indians and an old brass hat pin and a really thin silver ring and a button or two and a little bitty brass padlock the size of a quarter. My bud got a 75 shield and some indians. Something must be left in there. But the park was only around for about ten years in the late 1880s. My great old neighbor that lived across the street from me when I was a kid he sees me with a tector and says he wants one, he gets one for christmas, Garrett 500 I believe, back in the mid nineties. We go out to his side yard, first time, he gets a signal and digs it up, some weird Canada copper token, dated the mid 1800's. I am going to get a pic of that one, I never got a real good look at it and I have never seen another like it. He never did catch the bug so that machine just catches dust. I have more.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread