Took the plunge into metal detecting tonite!

bullshrink

Jan 14, 2012
western mass
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Minelab Excalibur II 1000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
just got off the phone with kellyco. they are very nice and very helpful.i had my heart set on a garret at pro or white m6 .....but got talked into a whites mxt.i live in massachusetts and will be mostly hunting colonial home sites and some beach hunting(fresh and salt).i kinda got off my budget of $600. i just hope it is worth it.any mxt users tips would be great. i hope i made a good choice!i cant wait for warmer weather now!cant wait to get out! :icon_thumright:

Upvote 0

goldentruth

Nov 3, 2011
French Gulch, North Calif.
Detector(s) used
"WHITES" GOLDMASTER "GMT" & "TESORO GOLDEN SABRE II" with silent search.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My oppinion about Kellyco Detector Company is great! I have got a whole lot of info and they have many brands & types of units & are happy to answer questions, They have sent me holliday discounts and I also have one of their Baseball hats too!

FCCDFEd

Sep 29, 2007
Terra Bella, Ca.
Detector(s) used
DFX, IDXPro, MXT, Lobo St., At Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Bull
I have and use both the MXT and DFX machines made by Whites. You made and excellent choice by purchasing the MXT. It is easy to use and versatile and should work great for what you plan to hunt. It may be a little squirrely around salt water but should do well in the drier sand. My best advice would be that you look for the book put out by Jeff Foster called the "MXT Edge" and then check out this web site http://nevada-outback-gems.com/MXT_files/MXT_basepage.htm called "The very unofficial Whites MXT metal detector users support homepage" website.
One of the other great benefits about any Whites detectors is the service that you will receive from Whites. They are number 1 when it comes to service. Good luck and Happy hunting.

fccdfed

Roland58

Bronze Member
Oct 3, 2010
Tyler, TX
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 standard (last 3 yrs.)
CTX-3030 10-04-13
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If it isn't already frozen where you are, may the ground stay thawed until you get the detector, so, you can at least scan your yard and check out the machine! You may even have to take a southern vacation this month. It's 11 pm right now and still 70° outside....my wife wants to turn the air conditioner on!!

Best wishes on your new endeavor. :icon_thumleft:

okdiggermark

Nov 7, 2011
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Garrett Pro-Pointer, Lesche...
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Welcome. Many addicts are here with you.....just keep telling yourself it's a healthy hobby. LMAO. Just kidding.....welcome and enjoy!!!

OP
OP
bullshrink

bullshrink

Jan 14, 2012
western mass
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I just hope it was a good choice over the at pro.$100more worth it. I had my heart set on the cagarret.I hope I paid for power not extra bells and whistles.

okdiggermark

Nov 7, 2011
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Garrett Pro-Pointer, Lesche...
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
bullshrink said:
I just hope it was a good choice over the at pro.$100more worth it. I had my heart set on the cagarret.I hope I paid for power not extra bells and whistles.

I've never owned a White's but believe they're really good. dude, you'll be good!

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You made an excellent choice in the MXT over the AT Pro in power and bells and whistles. I know as I've used both the MXT & DFX and have an AT Pro. Garrett's service is as good as White's and both make good products. Your MXT is an upgrade from the M6 too. Order a snipe coil as soon as you can. :headbang:

http://www.losttreasure.com/content/archives/whites-mxt

OP
OP
bullshrink

bullshrink

Jan 14, 2012
western mass
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
after watching some you tube videos from whites on the operation of the mxt i think i made the right choice.i have been reading alot about the noisiness of this machine and wonder if its just people not setting the machine up correctly at each site?its seems to me the operation is pretty straight forward and the fact that the machine will chirp at notched out targets would indicate that the machine is working.i probubly will never use prospecting mode so i guess i was a little afraid of the possibility that i paid more for a machine that i might not ever use to its full abilities?like i said i started out about five weeks ago reading up on this hobby and set my limit at $300 and was gonna get a ace 250.then it slowly crept up to $600 and i was down to the at pro, m6 and possibly the x-terra 505.so i researched the crap out of these three machines and couldnt decide. so i call to order and buy a machine i only read a little about in between reading about the others.lol.... but i have been consuming as much info as possible on this machine and i think it was a good move.
my son came home from school (hes five) and told me about some really nice guy named mlk. haha .kid cracks me up. and how he told his teacher and his buddies that daddy bought a metal detector and we are gonna call ourselves "treasure hunters" and we are gonna find old coins.lol my 3 year old daughter equates this new hobby to going to the playground so she can play while i look for coins...crazy.lol i cant wait to get out!!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread