Is the "Whites" TDI M.D. Good for Small Gold Nugget Finding?

goldentruth

Nov 3, 2011
French Gulch, North Calif.
Detector(s) used
"WHITES" GOLDMASTER "GMT" & "TESORO GOLDEN SABRE II" with silent search.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Is the "Whites" TDI M.D. Good for Small Gold Nugget Finding?

Q. Is the White's TDI Model good for nugget shooting?
Will it pick up the hard to find, small 5 grain "Common Small Gold"Nuggets? (Been doing my homework).
(They mention will find 5 grams, but that's a lot bigger and easier a hit if you are on top of it.)
Anybody know or have experience & luck with Whites TDI on finding gold?
I have seen some videos on youtube on Whites TDI & Minelab with poor audio (I wasted my time,) when they show the Wht's TDI, I do not see any better luck than a VLF Machine when they found a penny. I was hoping to see what it does on gold search they listed but did not show any gold testing at all on the video.
(Some videos do a test but they don't show what the target is.)
I would like to get some oppinions about actual results or finds.
Many thanks, I appreciate it!

Upvote 0

U.K. Brian

Bronze Member
Oct 11, 2005
Detector(s) used
XLT, Whites D.F., Treasure Baron, Deepstar, Goldquest, Beachscan, T.D.I., Sovereign, 2x Nautilus, various Arado's, Ixcus Diver, Altek Quadtone, T2, Beach Hunter I.D, GS 5 pulse, Searchman 2 ,V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Is the "Whites" TDI M.D. Good for Small Gold Nugget Finding?

It will pick up small gold as the u/S can be set as low as 10 but I would suggest you use the Whites 7.5 inch (or smaller third party) coil rather than the stock Dual Field. One big advantage is the machines ability to deal with hot rocks which can make life a misery. There's a few reports suggesting that the new and cheaper SL is better on really small gold than the original TDI or even the TDI Pro which is supposed to have improved filtering to help in this respect but this could just be down to the new smoother threshold

But all depends on the area where you will be detecting. If the gold in your area is not to deep then you might well be better going for a cheaper option like the Whites GMT.

You should be able to find a few more helpful video's/reports. Ckeck the TDI forums and look for the comparisons between Razorback and the Whites coils.

OP
OP
goldentruth

goldentruth

Nov 3, 2011
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Thanks UK Bryan: The reason I posted for anybodys actual use in the field is because the YOUTUBE video's do not do justice I feel to this detector. I know TDI can be a deeper MD and a lot different system as the earlier VLF. Both has their advantages on different searches and modes you are in. The youtube video Whites TDI & Minelab has poor audio and the trash it found I could have done the same with my 32 year old Tesoro Golden Sabre II.(Close to Tesoro's first "Notch/Discriminating" MD. I am not putting down Whites at all. they do have a fantastic TDI MD with out spending thousands for the Big Aus./Compeditor... in my Oppinion the Video did not show that deep and signals were close to the VLF's. Now I learned the Pulse has timing where you can set the speed of pulse and the higher frequency the better almost reverse with LVF (Very Low Frequency) which works better the lower frequency. Another main Point is Whites claims to be good at 5 Gram gold detection which makes me wonder, 5 Grams is a bit large since claims of a 5 Grain Gold Smaller nugget was demonstrated detected in 2 feet in ground by the Tesoro Lobo Super Traq. I got a seller who has a Whites TDI for $875.00 and I got a seller with a Tesoro Lobo Super Traq for $475 both used Md'S. I am doing a comparison by The production of how people use and know both MD's. Thank you kindly for your imput, I have gained more info about the Whites TDI MD.

jmoller99

Jan 8, 2010
Colorado Springs, Colorado USA
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT, Goldmaster Vsat, 5900, Bounty Hunter Discovery 3300 and Falcon MD-20.
Primary Interest:
Other

There are the original TDI, TDI Pro and TDI SL.

These 2 videos may help you (SL versus Pro comparison):

U.K. Brian

Bronze Member
Oct 11, 2005
Detector(s) used
XLT, Whites D.F., Treasure Baron, Deepstar, Goldquest, Beachscan, T.D.I., Sovereign, 2x Nautilus, various Arado's, Ixcus Diver, Altek Quadtone, T2, Beach Hunter I.D, GS 5 pulse, Searchman 2 ,V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Don't be fooled by listed controls that you won't be able to use .

The TDI frequency control range is only 3.25- 3.37 kHz and is used for making the audio more stable if there's any E.M.I. problems (which to its credit it doesn't suffer to much from) and the pulse delay that can be set from 10 uS to as high as 25 uS HAS to be set at the lowest setting because to run it any higher will supress low conductivity targets which is what small gold is.

Discrimination is iffy to say the least because it depends on sacrificing good targets types to gain a degree of rubbish rejection. Depth performance is compromised because discrimination is by adjusting the ground balance away from its optimal position.

OP
OP
goldentruth

goldentruth

Nov 3, 2011
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

U.K. Brian said:
Don't be fooled by listed controls that you won't be able to use .

The TDI frequency control range is only 3.25- 3.37 kHz and is used for making the audio more stable if there's any E.M.I. problems (which to its credit it doesn't suffer to much from) and the pulse delay that can be set from 10 uS to as high as 25 uS HAS to be set at the lowest setting because to run it any higher will supress low conductivity targets which is what small gold is.

Discrimination is iffy to say the least because it depends on sacrificing good targets types to gain a degree of rubbish rejection. Depth performance is compromised because discrimination is by adjusting the ground balance away from its optimal position.
Thanks for the heads up on the info Bryan. Thanks.

Rick60

Oct 24, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
not really, usually when you find gold there is hot ground, out on the Columbia River in southeast WA state the ground is so hot a VLF is completely unusable and the TDI has a few problems with hot rocks, thats how hot the ground is, I have tried to use a number of detectors on this hot ground none of them worked, Minelab Eureka gold, Minelab X-Terra 70, Fisher Gold$trike worked better than the Minetrash units because of its ability to detect hot rocks with a single tone, when it hits a good target it responds with a low high tone and a hot rock responds with a single low tone. So if the gold is shallow a VLF will not work in very hot ground that is where the P.I. comes in very handy a VLF is not an option in very hot ground out here in the western United states a P.I. is the only unit that will work on that section of the Columbia River.:occasion14:

Rick60

Oct 24, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Air tests are completely usless for a P.I. detector do them in the ground and the test results will be much different, esp in highly mineralized ground, this is a great test for a VLF.I have been an Electronics Tech for a number of years and started my career by working on state of the art industrial metal detectors. On the bench and in the field.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread