Need help with detecting deeper targets etc please.

• Thread starter searchingforever
  • Start date
S

searchingforever

First off hello everyone :).. Just bought a garrett ace 250 about 2 weeks ago and have been having alot of fun. The thing that im having trouble understanding/doing is digging up deeper targets like 6-10 inches.. basically i'll have it in all metal mode somtimes it will do a "Ding" sound (for a coin) i'll try and wave the detector over the same spot again to see if it does it.. somtimes it does somtimes it doesnt and ocasionally it will be saying its trash or then a coin.. it will keep going back and fourth. Also i'll use the Pinpoint feature and it somtimes brings me to a diffrent target or just reads nothing at all. I run sensitivity at about 4-5 bars.. not sure if that has much if somone could tell me some tips that would be awesome thanks.

Upvote 0

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here's my post:

Nearly all metal detectors crackle and pop while hunting in discrimination mode (some more than others). The discrimination doesn't always eliminate all signals; it will sometimes just deteriorate the unwanted signals more so they're easier to identify as unwanted targets.

Michigan Badger says it best. Discrimination can be good or bad. It can be great for shallower targets (down to about 4 or 5 inches) but bad for the really deep stuff.

The deeper the target gets, the more its signal deteriorates simply because of ground mineralization. Therefore one could think a deep corroded Indian cent is really a discriminated item (follow me?).

This is one reason why some people find very few old coins and relics.

The answer is to use the machine a lot and study it. It's best to start with low discrimination and dig almost all targets at first. Then as you learn the TID readings (patterns) and sounds you can turn the discrimination up.

Hope this helps.

This quote is from the Michigan Badger in another thread helping many hunters again.

HH,
Sandman

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread