Born2Dtect

Bronze Member
Jun 11, 2004
Hurlock, Maryland
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is good exercise. Not so much a cardiac work out as a calorie burner. The getting down and back up when digging are great calorie burners. I also tend to not eat or drink anything for hours when detecting. I have lost weight.

Ed D.

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
I think its a great form of exercise...all that walking,bending over,squatting,kneeling,climbing up and down hills and of course the jumping up and down and happy dance I do when finding yet another rusty piece of iron!

Spitfire Reddie

Bronze Member
Jul 29, 2006
NC
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2
ecdonovan said:
It is good exercise. Not so much a cardiac work out as a calorie burner. The getting down and back up when digging are great calorie burners. I also tend to not eat or drink anything for hours when detecting. I have lost weight.

Ed D.
Exact same thing for me ,food and drink is put on the back burner till the MDing is over.Its odd but i don't get hungry or thirsty while MDing.

Blackjack77

Jun 16, 2006
Minnesota
It must be exercise because after an extended hunt I'm sore in
places only an old guy would be sore at!!

oops-I guess I am an old guy!! ;D ;D
Its still exercise!!!
HH

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I feel it has to be exercise in the walking, swinging, etc. The only weight you gain from detecting is dragging the pouch full of trash back up the hill to the car. After I spend a few hours wading and being supported by the water I find it harder to climb out and walk back on dry land.

Sandman

Mona Lisa

Gold Member
Jan 13, 2005
Great Falls, Montana
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & a Sunray probe
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Personally, I don't think metal detecting is exercise. Only when I hike to a foundation to hunt do I feel that I've gotten any exercise. And if I've lost weight, it's only because I don't think about eating when I'm detecting. ;)

Digginman

Silver Member
Mar 12, 2005
Stephens City, Virginia
Detector(s) used
Treasure Ace250 Tesoro Cibola
Spitfire Reddie said:
ecdonovan said:

Ed D.
Exact same thing for me ,food and drink is put on the back burner till the MDing is over.Its odd but i don't get hungry or thirsty while MDing.

What they said. Also, my cholestrol and blood pressure has gotten under control since I resumed diggin. My doctor says to keep doing what I am doing....so I am.

DM

nhbenz

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2004
Brentwood, NH
Detector(s) used
White's Classic SL
White's Surf P.I.
Sure, its not the type of hard work I'm used to, but if it gets somebody off the couch, then thats a great step in the right direction! I think there was some of this type of sales hype on the video that came with my White's, but I believe it. (but I'm kinda' soft in the head... I just liked the part where they said "even a caveman could do it")

Mona Lisa

Gold Member
Jan 13, 2005
Great Falls, Montana
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
nhbenz said:
Sure, its not the type of hard work I'm used to, but if it gets somebody off the couch, then thats a great step in the right direction! I think there was some of this type of sales hype on the video that came with my White's, but I believe it. (but I'm kinda' soft in the head... I just liked the part where they said "even a caveman could do it")

You're so funny, caveman dude! :D

Burdie

Gold Member
Nov 13, 2005
South Central Kansas
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I get so tired that I step on my butt walking forward then it's exercise. ;D ;D I don't lose weight because I tend to eat more when I get home. ::) ::)

Burdie

Detector Man

Dec 6, 2005
California
Detector(s) used
XLT, MXT PRO
Re: ...but is it exercise? nah its not

who are we kidding here....remember this: NO PAIN NO GAIN......in MOST cases it is NOT exercise...in some cases it is since the person doing it .......does NOTHING else except pushes the buttons on the remote for TIVO.

Night Stalker

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2004
Florida
Detector(s) used
Omega 8000 & Tesoro Cortes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think it's GREAT exercise, walking, bending, squating, deep knee bends....it don't get any better than that. ;D

B

BIG61AL

Walking around for hours on end and bending over is exercise. I get tired and I sweat. That must be burning calories. I only drink water. If that isn't exercise what is?

Ramapirate

Jul 5, 2006
Charlotte
Detector(s) used
Primary detector is a Garrett AT Pro
Also have a Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If I'm swinging, I ain't eating. I've lost down from about 275 to about 250 since June when I started. I think it's great excercise!

HH,
Ramapirate

ClonedSIM

Silver Member
Jul 28, 2005
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
No doubt exercise, but everyone is echoing my sentiments exactly. I carry a water bottle, but I don't get a bit hungry or thirsty when I'm hunting, and it never even crosses my mind to stop and have a smoke. (I know...I know.)

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Walk 3+ miles of beach front in a zig-zag pattern through surf as well as soft beach sand, yep I would call it excercise. ;D

Mona Lisa

Gold Member
Jan 13, 2005
Great Falls, Montana
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
OK...OK....I changed my mind. I hunted all day with Seeker, Timmy, and Jeff on Sunday.....from 8:00 am to 5:00 pm. I was absolutely whooped! Now that was exercise!! :P

sandwalker

Greenie
Sep 11, 2006
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202, X-terra 705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey, *hand waving in air* Let me answer this question... *smile*

I am an Occupational Therapist, So here is a Professional view.

MD'ing is a form of exercise. It is called "leisure activity'. It is not done with the INTENT to exercise, but health benefits are a bonus to the activity.
MD'ing requires slow, deliberate movement. Not all exercise is fast and heavy. Look at Ti' Chi'. All the movements are slow, deliberate, and relaxing.

Leisure activity is just as important as any other form of exercise. From my theraputic point of view, leisure activity is THEE most important because it relieves stress. Go to the gym, tennis courts, jog down the road alll day long and have a heart attack just the same. OR... participate in an activity that makes your heart leap with joy at the thought of participating and we have decreased fatigue, hypertension, high blood pressure...etc, etc....
The answer is???? Yes, it is exercise, it is good for us, it is worth the time, money, and soreness for what it does for our spirits.
I would continue to do this EVEN if it gave me pimples. LMAO!!!!!

ENJOY IT!!!!
HH All,
Amy

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread