Slingshot

Bronze Member
Apr 3, 2004
Southern Appalachia
Detector(s) used
Whites CM2 BFO, Harbor Freight 9 function, BH Pioneer 202, Fisher F22
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I lift weights, run, and do other forms of exercise on a regular basis, and I consider metal detecting as another form of exercise. It's not a great strength builder, nor can it be considered aerobic, but it is a low key calorie burner, like slow walking, and the calories you burn in this type of activity are usually pulled from your bodily stores of fat. In that case, it is a GREAT fat burner, and I love getting paid to exercise!

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I haven't lost any weight doing this, but I also haven't gained any weight while doing this!

And that is saying a lot considering how BAD my diet is. An example of my diet on one day could be:

4 McChickens from McDonalds for lunch

random snacks... chips, a pop, cookies

4 more sandwhiches or a steak

make brownies at night and eat the WHOLE thing that night while my friend only eats one or two from the batch

more junk food, maybe some ice cream....

But its not uncommon for me to have days where I am eating over 5,000 calories.

spez401

Jul 13, 2006
Coventry, RI
Detector(s) used
Excal
I can honestly say that when i went out detecting every chance i could, i definitely lost weight. Yes. The exercise helped, but usually it was because my wife would cook, I'd come home late, and dinner would be off the table... and into the garbage can. LOL

roswellborn

Jan 9, 2006
Washington state
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
For the past nine years I've been doing less and less exercise because of back pain (since surgery in '97 - tip: Trust me, take care of your back!)

Since then, I finally found a "natural" remedy that has helped even more than the Bextra they pulled off the market, so now I can get around so much easier, but I have no endurance.

After the all-day hunt in Missouri, I was soooo sore! It felt great, go figure ;D Seems to me that anything that can work your muscles like that - and I was "careful" and took breaks fairly often, etc - it has got to be exercise!

Now, if I can do that a lot more often, I'll be in good shape!

HH
Nan

R

rluna

I'm not going to say that metal detecting isn't exercise but........if MDing raises you heart
rate and makes you sore then you need to start exercising :D

Randy

drver

Sep 24, 2006
Wilmington, N.C.
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Last weekend I got sore for stooping and digging, not as young as I used to be. And when I found the sterling bracelet my heart rate did go up.
Not saying I don’t need to exercise but I’m smoking less and getting allot more fresh air.

B

BIG61AL

Bottom line.....

8 hours of metal detecting = exercise

8 hours watching TV = obesity

no doubt in my mind that it's healthier outside walking around than sittin in front of the idiot box

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread