Some questions

jibb

Feb 9, 2012
Indiana
Detector(s) used
White's M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Still waiting on my detector to get here this next week. Supposed to be Tuesday. Anyway while going over in my head some of the places I want to hunt and wondering how long its going to take me to learn how to use the detector I thought of someplace that could be very good if I can get permission. I have a coworker who's home was once owned by Al Capone. I know it sounds crazy and really meant nothing to me 3 years ago when I had first heard about it but with all these stories of treasure on Treasurenet I'm thinking what if? I would come out and just ask him now if I could metal detect his property but I don't want to put the the thought in his head until I know how to use my detector well and I'm not sure how to approach him about it. Should I mention anything about maybe sharing what is found or something like that? Probably won't find anything. Not sure if Capone really had money stashed or not but would hate to make big find and wish I had said something about maybe getting something. What would you guys/gals do?

Upvote 0

kgunn

Jan 1, 2012
Missouri
Detector(s) used
XP Dues
Safari
AT Pro
CoinMaster
White Gold
Minelab X-TERRA 505
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
never hurts 2 ask...

kgunn

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The fun of this hobby is the antipisapation of what we might find. looking for caches is lots different than scarfing coins out of the dirt. You should learn as much about the hobby and detector. When you think your ready just ask you friend if you could hunt his property. Since its his property anything you find will belong to him by the laws in most states. Anyway it is poor form to claim what isn't yours.

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would recommend waiting until spring and 5-10 hunts with your machine before you start going to your friends houses and digging up their yard. It's just as important to know how to dig a proper plug as it is to know your machine if you ask me. And right now, our ground is frozen and you would do more harm than good.

What part of the state are you located in?

OP
OP
jibb

jibb

Feb 9, 2012
Indiana
Detector(s) used
White's M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the info and suggestions. I will definitely wait to learn some more before asking him about his property. I'm about hour west of Indianapolis. Where you located? Thanks again. I love this website.

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm on the SW side of Indy.

I know a couple of guys out your way that do some detecting, and there are many more that I don't know that live out there and detect. Just keep your eyes open in the spring and drive by parks frequently and you should easily be able to meet some others to do some detecting with. That's the easiest way to learn. Just be friendly and ask if you can listen to some of their signals and ask them what they think the target is going to be and how deep it is. That was how I learned my machine.

OP
OP
jibb

jibb

Feb 9, 2012
Indiana
Detector(s) used
White's M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What machine do you have?

OP
OP
jibb

jibb

Feb 9, 2012
Indiana
Detector(s) used
White's M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh nice...I looked at them but couldn't spend that much on first one. Hopefully the bh 505 will keep me happy for awhile.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread